im building my own DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) basically a home studio pc, im not really bothered about being able to play games or such, just record and edit audio
from either a plug-in instrument (guitar, bass etc) or midi interface and have plently of memoery to store anything recorded.

im thinking of spending between £1000-£1500 on it.
building up from scratch. anyone got any recomentdations, a spec list or something for me to look over?
would be greatly appriciated, im spending alot so i wanted opinions and ideas from people who might of had experience with this stuff rather than some magazine or a salesman looking for his next commission sale.
Get a mac mini(or an imac if you can afford it). OS X has a far better audio framework than any other OS.

Get atleast 1 gb RAM and preferably 2.

Garageband will come with it which is good, otherwise Logic Studio and Logic studio express are other great software options.
As for interface, there are plenty. The best way would be to get a firewire(firewire is better than USB) interface for the audio Ins and use a USB to midi converter for a keyboard of some sort.

IF you prefer an all in one interface, the toneport KB37 is great. 1 guitar and 2 XLR ins. plus a 37 key keyboard and control keys.

Next you'll also need some monitors(speakers) but a set of computer speakers should do.

Lastly, for mics get lots of shure SM57 or SM58s.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
Get a mac mini(or an imac if you can afford it). OS X has a far better audio framework than any other OS.

Get atleast 1 gb RAM and preferably 2.

Garageband will come with it which is good, otherwise Logic Studio and Logic studio express are other great software options.
As for interface, there are plenty. The best way would be to get a firewire(firewire is better than USB) interface for the audio Ins and use a USB to midi converter for a keyboard of some sort.

IF you prefer an all in one interface, the toneport KB37 is great. 1 guitar and 2 XLR ins. plus a 37 key keyboard and control keys.

Next you'll also need some monitors(speakers) but a set of computer speakers should do.

Lastly, for mics get lots of shure SM57 or SM58s.

+1. I'm getting a mac G3 from my cousin, and after i upgrade the RAM it will be able to run OSX and logic studio, which i can get a major discount on because i'm a sound engineer . Right now i have a fairly good PC with reason and cubase, which i use together in a way, i use reason for MIDI and cubase for audio, its a powerful combination but i'd like to get a program that will do both (the synths in cubase aren't really very useful imo).
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i know little to nothing about macs, how much am i looking at cost wise and what would i get? can you link me to anything?
Quote by tango2150
i know little to nothing about macs, how much am i looking at cost wise and what would i get? can you link me to anything?

as a general rule macs are very expensive... and theres the price of the software on top of that... i'm not sure about how much macs actually cost though, and of course it depends on which one you get.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Go on GAK and there's a £600 Macbook, my friend has the £800 version I think it is and I've recorded loads on that just using garageband and it's great, he uses it for his art but the music capabilities just on garagband are awesome.
Quote by Blompcube
as a general rule macs are very expensive... and theres the price of the software on top of that... i'm not sure about how much macs actually cost though, and of course it depends on which one you get.

Actually macs are now more or less on par. Sometimes over sometimes below what dell would offer

For mac prices, you can see it on the apple store. A mac mini wont run much at all but you'll have to add the cost of a monitor and keyboard and mouse. An imac comes with a glorious screen a keyboard and a mouse all in one. The internals arent too far apart on both apart from the graphics card and of course the mac mini has no integrated screen

The advantage with macs is that they have the best audio framework. Core audio and audio units are far superior to ASIO and VST on windows. Linux just isn't good for recording. Your dealing with low latency at the bare level rather than at the driver level.

Software will only cost as much as you need. You get garagebend free which is very capable. YOu might not even need more. If you do then logic studio is about $599(ridiculously cheap for what your getting) and logic studio express is in between so all in all very affordable.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
if your building one for that price, i highly reccommend you use a pci sound interface card coupled with an outboard interface because they are the fastest way to get signals through, thus reducing latency.
Dont think that you NEED a mac, PCs work just as fine and dont make you look like an art snob.
JUST MY TWO CENTS
Use Reason aswell, it has a built in function called rewire wich joins itself to cubase, and they synchronise everything.

also, you WILL need monitors for the flat response they give, PC Speakers are normally configured to give a more bassy response
I Love Oreos, And im English =D
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Dont think that you NEED a mac, PCs work just as fine and dont make you look like an art snob.
JUST MY TWO CENTS

Technically you dont need anything, but by using a mac hes going to gain a lot.

OS X(the mac operating system) has a great setup in its core audio framework. That means you can manage all inputs outputs with great ease(windows sucks in this department), you also get lower latency.

Secondly audio units(the mac versions of VST plugins, though most mac programs support both) are better, have slightly lower latency, are more well defined and run more efficiently.

Plus macs come with garageband which really does serve most needs

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Conica
Use Reason aswell, it has a built in function called rewire wich joins itself to cubase, and they synchronise everything.

also, you WILL need monitors for the flat response they give, PC Speakers are normally configured to give a more bassy response

Reason isn't necessary at all. Rewire is supported by a lot of apps as well, but agaoin a good DAW program like logic doesnt actually need it.

Some PC speakers are quite good for monitoring. I use creative speakers myself and I've compared them to a good set of monitors and for the price they are good. You can tune out the bass too so the response is more accurate

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350