Why old guitars cost so much ? Is it because they're considered as antique or is there something different in sound and quality compare to the new ones that manufactured one or two years back from now?
Last edited by hminh87 at Oct 18, 2007,
Well i know alot of old acoustic martins are considered to have some of the best acoustic sounds.

But i think alot of it is to do with the antique-ness of the guitars
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by hminh87
Why old guitars cost so much ? Is it because they're considered as antique or is there something different in sound and quality compare to the new ones that manufactured one or two years back from now?

I'm guessing that is has to do with the "Quality Over Quantity" concept. Back in they day, guitar makers weren't so set on making a buck, but rather making good quality guitars. Nowadays, you see crappy guitars everywhere.
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric

Epi LP Custom w/ Active EMG's

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT (this thing is a BEAST! )
There is some difference in quality. But the super high price is probably due to the collector value of the guitar.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Define old. A Charvel Model 6 going on 20 years is old anymore. As for true vintage guitars, I don't see what the hype is about other then the age and mystique. A ugly here who owns a shop and owned tones of guitars form that era said he doesn't get it either. A lot of them were not consistently built well, and thus a good many of them are just for looks. which is why the ones you see all clean and like new were probably some of the duds, and thus aren't spectacular and were never played much. to be honest, I would figure most of the good ones that you'll find have been found and played hard.

Now, once we get into the 80s, its another story. Companies like Jackson/Charvel, Ibanez, ESP, Kramer, and Schecter started setting new standards. Even their Japanese imports were amazing, and blow away guitars that cost twice as much now. The reason quality slipped on many guitars is the need to save money. and they will do whatever it takes to save, even if its only a few bucks on each unit. Also, around 1992, the exchange rate between the yen and US dollar became unstable, leading to a shift in Korean and India manufacturing to keep up budget price points. this has not helped quality at all.

On the plus side, guitars today are more consistent then old ones could ever be due to new manufacturing techniques and sheer experience. Also, Korean and even some Chinese guitars are approaching current Japanese guitars in build quality, with the Japanese build guitars not having quite the lead they used to. As a whole however, quality has gone down hill. Play a 1987 Ibanez RG550 or 1986 Charvel Model 6 and you'll see why. Guitars today, imo, simply don't have the feel, quality, or sound as older ones.
Wood tends to get better sound quality as it ages and that gives a better tone for stringed instruments. That's why old acoustics have a nicer tone than new ones. This is more noticeable with violins though...

For electric guitars.. .i have no idea to be honest. My guess is just because of its vintage look since the 60's replicas are pretty expensive too.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Wood tends to get better sound quality as it ages and that gives a better tone for stringed instruments. That's why old acoustics have a nicer tone than new ones. This is more noticeable with violins though...

For electric guitars.. .i have no idea to be honest. My guess is just because of its vintage look since the 60's replicas are pretty expensive too.

+1, the PRS 513 Rosewoods are going to be worth loads in 20 or 30 years time, because the high quality Brazilian rosewood has since pretty much run out, and they're not using that wood any more. So you can imagine the owners of a 513 are gonna be protecting their assets with the utmost care...
Anyone has any idea about the quality now and then of Fender's Stratocaster? I'm getting offer for two of those, one made in 06, another from 96 both are MIU. The price is about the same. Which one would you go for. Both are in good condition and feels the same (I haven't had so many guitar so I don't really know what should feel right and what not yet. What I've learned is that the bad and good of the guitar won't be noticeable after a month of owning it)
Quote by hminh87
Anyone has any idea about the quality now and then of Fender's Stratocaster? I'm getting offer for two of those, one made in 06, another from 96 both are MIU. The price is about the same. Which one would you go for. Both are in good condition and feels the same (I haven't had so many guitar so I don't really know what should feel right and what not yet. What I've learned is that the bad and good of the guitar won't be noticeable after a month of owning it)

I would say the 06, since a 1996 isnt really considered an "old and classic" guitar, more just old and probably not as good.
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric

Epi LP Custom w/ Active EMG's

Vox Valvetronix AD50VT (this thing is a BEAST! )
The only difference would be if one of them was made solely for the Japanese market (not for export.) In that case the quality would be higher. Those made for export are still very good but not worth as much.
Quote by uldhppi
The only difference would be if one of them was made solely for the Japanese market (not for export.) In that case the quality would be higher. Those made for export are still very good but not worth as much.

You mean them Made in Japan Fenders? Yeah they have one in stock, too. Too bad the pickups are trashed <.<
A good guitar is a good guitar. Period. It doesn't matter when its made. Just
because its old means squat. But a lot of idiots will pay more -- all you have to
do is slap "vintage" on an old, used guitar -- so the prices tend to be inflated.

Real collector's items are rare. Take a look at ebay. Every other guitar is a
"collector's item". Every other guitar Fender or Gibson makes -- Classic, Vintage,
Limited Run, yaddy yaddy -- is a "collector's item". With a billion of these collector's
items out there, who'd going to buy them all up at premium prices? Mostly just
fools who don't know any better.

If you're buying a used guitar, get it at a used price. Otherwise, buy a new one.
Old guitars usualy sound better due to drier wood, and guitars back in the day were almost always made with better quality.
I don't even shred