So Im looking into my future bass guitar, and lately Ive got psyched about P basses and a bit more about the J's but everyone just seems to use them...
So I remember handling a Japanese Fender Jaguar a year ago and from what I remember I was pretty impressed about it.

So any experience with the jag? Pros and cons? (A con I see in it is the fact that it doesnt feature 24 frets).
Quote by Waters?

So any experience with the jag? Pros and cons? (A con I see in it is the fact that it doesnt feature 24 frets).

Neither do P and J basses (other than the Jazz 24 I think).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The controls are quirky but it's nice to have an active/passive bass like the Jag. However, both pickups are only on/off switches (no blend control) and therefore that's a dealbreaker for me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
oh, i like it. once you get used to the switches, it's a very versitale bass.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by cashewchaching
oh, i like it. once you get used to the switches, it's a very versitale bass.

It really looks promising but thx to fitz I understand you cant blend em, which kinda drops the value in it.

So, as an option could I add a neck pickup and change the mechanics so I could blend it? (versatility is important.)
They're really nice basses, the absence of pickup blending is their achilles heel.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
It is a really nice bass, I tried one recently.
But...*ahem*...no pickup blending? What in God's name are the two thumbwheels on the upper bout for? I could have sworn blind that the forward one controlled the volume of the neck pup, the rearward one controlled the volume of the bridge pup.
I quite clearly remember feeling there was wayyyy too much treble to be locked in a small room with a 150w Hartke, and boosting the neck pickup to prevent further aural bleeding.
Pity to ruin a flawed, if good bass, with a flaw it doesn't have...
I'm sure though that it would not be impossible to implement a blend control, or even pickup volumes as aposed to on/off.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by creepingjesus73
It does have a blend control. It's what the two thumbwheels are for. Just like a J-bass. Which irritates me greatly, but I'm not going down that avenue again!

thefitz pwnage in... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. It's an active bass. Those wheels are the 2-band EQ. Period.

EDIT: WRONG!!!! Your 'dialing in the neck pickup' must have either been upping the bass frequencies on the EQ or lowering the treble.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by creepingjesus73
If I am wrong, and that's a big IF, it'll be the only way or time you'll pwn me mate!

Be back in a bit, I've some checking to do...

Not only have I played it, I have 2 magazine reviews explaining exactly what it does! Hell, one of them has a DIAGRAM!

From the Fender Website:
Controls - Master Volume,
Master Tone,
Preamp Treble Control Wheel,
Preamp Bass Control Wheel,
Preamp On/Off Slide Switch

Pickup Switching - 2-On/Off Slide Switches, One for Each Pickup,
1-Series/Parallel Slide Switch (Operates only when both pickups are on)

So that's a pwnage for Fitzy
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Oh well, it seems my ears have let me down. Perhaps reducing both preamp thumbwheels to zero creates something other than silence. Seems to me the EQ's work very much like a blend... First and last...first and last...
Quote by creepingjesus73
Oh well, it seems my ears have let me down. Perhaps reducing both preamp thumbwheels to zero creates something other than silence. Seems to me the EQ's work very much like a blend... First and last...first and last...

*blows smoking pistol*
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i guess i figured the same thing as creepingjesus73. i played one for couple of hours at my local shop, and was very impressed. it had great sound in passive, as well as active, modes. i play my Jazz with the neck p-up just back, from full on(11 o'clock), and my bridge, at 75% on(9 o'clock), most of the time. i use the tone to adjust between bright and dark tones. i had no problem reproducing that sound on the Jag. although i'm not sure how. i was just messing with the knobs, until a found it. lol

i like the Jag, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. it has a great feel, and look.

there are no losers here, just learning. +1 for fitzy, he does his homework.
+2 for creepingjesus73, for keeping it nice, and friendly.
The Jag has a funny property with those active knobs - which would explain creepingjesus73's mixup. There's no centre detent for flat EQ. You know why? Off is flat. They're boost-only controls (or, if you prefer, cut only). Strange, eh?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Surely you could replace the on/off switchs for the pickups with a volume pot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like it should work, although it may require some rearranging of the controls and modifying of the body.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Waters?

do u honestly need 24 frets......
fitz, must you be so cruel to us who aren't omnipotent?
anyway waters, I'd say go for it. It's a good bass if you like the jazz sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
fitz, must you be so cruel to us who aren't omnipotent?
anyway waters, I'd say go for it. It's a good bass if you like the jazz sound.

I was a bit overzealous there, wasn't I?

However, in my opinion, 24 fret bolt-on necks are only really good on dense woods like maple, mahogany, bubinga, etc. On lighter (ash, alder) bodies, especially if they're small, it can really rob the bass of it's thickness and punch. That said, it's a shame the Jag uses a standard 20-fret neck. That 21st fret (the high E) is just so bloody important to me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
That said, it's a shame the Jag uses a standard 20-fret neck. That 21st fret (the high E) is just so bloody important to me.

+1
i simply cannot do with 20 frets i can make do with 21.... but 24 frets is a big.......help i guess you could call it
i love a full double octave neck

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I have one and I love it... I haven't really tried other basses than the jag and some cheap beginner cort so I can't compare it to anything.

It gets very versatile once you get used to the switches and you can change sound very swiftly or even during a song with them.