alright well i wanted to transpose the song "message in a bottle" by the police to my trumpet, and i have no clue as to how to do it i know the trumpet is a Bflat instrument. so if any one could help i'd appreciate it! thanks
oh and i just want to transpose the main guitar line
Any note that you write on guitar should be transposed up a whole step when you write for trumpet.

So, if you write a Bb on guitar, you notate it as a C for trumpet. If you write an F on guitar, you write G for trumpet, etc.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Tabbed By: Joe Holingshead (KSA-Tekken@worldnet.att.net)
E E E Q E E Q E E Q E E E 10x
|------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------o|
|-------8-------4-------6------------|
|----6-------2-------4----------6-7--|
|-4-------0-------2----------4------o|
|-------------------------2----------|

Since the guitar is in standard tuning, the notes would be:

C#, G#, Eb A, E, B B, F#?, C# F#, C#, G#, A

I think that should help some...but be sure to transpose these notes one step up.
The guitar is an E instrument right?

The trumpet is in Bb I think...

someone correct me before I go any further...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
The guitar is an E instrument right?

The trumpet is in Bb I think...

someone correct me before I go any further...

The trumpet part is right; it's in Bb. Whenever you are playing a trumpet, and you play what is written as a C, your actual pitch is a Bb.

The guitar is a C instrument. When you play a C on a guitar, the actual pitch is also a C, so it doesn't need to be transposed. The guitar happens to normally have an E as its lowest note; that doesn't mean guitar is an E instrument.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by bigmanwithanaxe
Isn't the guitar played an octave lower than the music is written?

I believe so.

Quote by branny1982
whoa, this is really confusing....

so if i played an e chord on my guitar, and my mate wanted to play his trumpet/cornet to fit, what would he play? a dmajor scale? 2 notes lower?

It'd actually be an F# major scale. The actual pitches are a whole tone lower than what is written for him, so if his sheet says he's playing in F#, it's actually in E.

I'm still terrible at transposition; it can take a bit of work to get halfway decent at it.
Quote by psychodelia
The trumpet part is right; it's in Bb. Whenever you are playing a trumpet, and you play what is written as a C, your actual pitch is a Bb.

The guitar is a C instrument. When you play a C on a guitar, the actual pitch is also a C, so it doesn't need to be transposed. The guitar happens to normally have an E as its lowest note; that doesn't mean guitar is an E instrument.

So a C on trumpet has the pitch of Bb. A C on guitar has the pitch of C. Therefor, a D on trumpet would have a pitch of C.

Good answers. +1.
Last edited by soulphonate at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by psychodelia

Thanks.

So what you'd do is:

Played: CDEFGABC
Heard:BbCDEbFGABb

Match them up....when a guitar plays a C, the trumpet plays a Bb. When the guitar plays a F, trumpet plays an Eb. As stated before, it's a whole step below the guitar.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Match them up....when a guitar plays a C, the trumpet plays a Bb. When the guitar plays a F, trumpet plays an Eb. As stated before, it's a whole step below the guitar.

No. That's backward.

I play sax, tenor sax is also B flat. C on guitar would be D on trumpet or tenor sax. It's a note up, not down. In school band we always tuned to concert Bb, which is C on tenor sax and trumpet, G on an Eb instrument like alto sax. CDEFGABC on guitar would be DEF#GABC#D on trumpet or tenor sax. Alto sax is in Eb, which would start the same scale on A, but sound the same pitches as those on guitar, maybe an octave higher depending on where on the guitar it's played, same as with trumpet or tenor.

So in reference to your comment above, playing an E on guitar would be F# on trumpet or cornet.

Edited to remove typos and add a point I forgot.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Oct 18, 2007,
thanks i really appreciate your guys help! im going to try and work on it tonight ill let you know how it goes.
thanks again