Hey guys, I currently do not play the guitar but I have gotten a sudden urge lately to learn how to play. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could answer. The music I would love to be able to play is old school rock like boston, foreigner, etc. What guitar would be best for me to get started on? Electric or Acoustic? I have heard that you should select whatever kind that will suit your music but I am not at all sure. Also, I know this is a rediculously stupid question that there is probably no answer for but, generally speaking, how long would it take a beginner to learn how to play old school rock like boston, foreigner, etc? What about Canon rock? I know that the time it takes to learn this stuff all depends on how much you practice and how naturally gifted you are in this area but I was hoping you guys could give a general estimated timeline as to how long it would take the average joe to be able to play like this? Thanks so much for your time.
Quote by rockadoodle
Hey guys, I currently do not play the guitar but I have gotten a sudden urge lately to learn how to play. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could answer. The music I would love to be able to play is old school rock like boston, foreigner, etc. What guitar would be best for me to get started on? Electric or Acoustic? I have heard that you should select whatever kind that will suit your music but I am not at all sure. Also, I know this is a rediculously stupid question that there is probably no answer for but, generally speaking, how long would it take a beginner to learn how to play old school rock like boston, foreigner, etc? What about Canon rock? I know that the time it takes to learn this stuff all depends on how much you practice and how naturally gifted you are in this area but I was hoping you guys could give a general estimated timeline as to how long it would take the average joe to be able to play like this? Thanks so much for your time.

about a year or 2 for the classic stuff, and a lot longer for canon rock
Up the Punx!
i'd say start with electric, and to learn certain songs, it depends on teh difficulty, how competant you are, and how fast you learn, and for canon rock, i'd say ayt least 3-4 years
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
who cares how long it takes thts part of the fun
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Standard Goldtop 50's Neck
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Line 6 Spider 3 150
Line 6 Pocket POD

Member #23 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
electric, though i would recommend both. AND its acually easier if u start off an an acoustic, as they have much higher string tension and require u to build more essential hand strength. It will be harder learning chords and song on the acoustic 1st, but, once u8 go to electric it should be a breeze. Its probably going to take roughly around a year or so b4 u can play any boston songs (not including solo, which might take a year or 2) and this is if u preactice correctly and often. (mebe 2 hours a day) and dont refer rto yourself as an "average joe"...w were all "average joes" b4 we started, youve got just as much potential as anyone here or any rock star u worship.
if you wanna play classic rock, you obviously want an electric. and depending what song you want to learn itll be easier or harder. dont even think about canon rock until you understand almost everything about guitar, cause its pretty hard. but itll take you like a month to build up calluses depending on how often you play. and btw if you just have a sudden urge to play, iuno if you should play. cause that urge can go away pretty fast and then you just lots a lot of money.

peace
I'll believe in anything and you'll believe in anything.
last.fm
Quote by Buckethead5
are you stupid?

dude, i hate ur attitude, dont try and judge other based on how fast you learn. not everyone can practice the same amount of time everyday, and not everyone practices efficiently...jesus, whats with all these stuck up people saying **** like "i learned all of steve via's songs after 4 months of playing, if u cant do that then you suck at life"
****remember, learning guitar isnt a ****ing race, no matter what the little **** ass kids on UG think.
Thanks for the replies guys. And as far as having a "sudden urge" to play, that was the wrong way to put it. I've actually been thinking about learning for a little while now. I just can't imagine how rewarding it must be to be able to play the guitar proficiently.
Quote by chris_libby_88
dude, i hate ur attitude, dont try and judge other based on how fast you learn. not everyone can practice the same amount of time everyday, and not everyone practices efficiently...jesus, whats with all these stuck up people saying **** like "i learned all of steve via's songs after 4 months of playing, if u cant do that then you suck at life"
****remember, learning guitar isnt a ****ing race, no matter what the little **** ass kids on UG think.

Ok, I completely agree with your point, his attitude sucks. And I know you're probably heated here, but if you're gonna have a go at him, please write properly. It makes it more readable and will get your point across much better to other people, to him, and finally to yourself.

You are quite right ; everyone learns at a different pace, and it'll take many years to become a 'good' guitarist. It takes effort, dedication, a little money and patience. Rockadoodle, don't put too much emphasis on what type of guitar you get. Pretty much any guitar can do classic rock if you have the right amp. A lot of beginners go for a flashy guitar, a cheap amp, and regret it. A good amp will heighten your enjoyment of classic rock even more.

I hope for your sake you do take up guitar ; it's a rewarding experience, even if sometimes you feel as though you're fighting a useless battle against your own fingers for the first few months
Don't worry; you don't have to be good to have fun. If you make it fun, you'll progress rather qukcly and won't ever quit, so always play so you're having fun.

Another beautiful thing about guitar is that you don't have to be good to rock, either. There are plenty of good easy songs out there. I reccomend an electric since you're in to rock.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by Buckethead5
are you stupid?

*reported*

Electric sounds like it's right up your alley. It's easier on the fingers starting out, and some of the best beginner songs IMO are songs like More Than a Feeling, Wish You Were Here, Smoke on the Water, and the like. They'll sound great on elec and you'll be feeling the rock soul in no time *total dork*
Eletric would be best since you're into rock but i have a question that might be kind of n00bish but what is canon rock?
Quote by midnight ride
what is canon rock?

It's a pretty cool electric guitar solo set to a classical tune. Think "modernized classical". Check it out on youtube, pretty cool stuff.
Last edited by Garou1911 at Oct 18, 2007,
Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate them. Im 18 years old and i am wondering if i have missed out on anything by not learning to play at an earlier age. I guess what im trying say is id really like to become a good guitarist at an early age but i might have missed out on the opportunity since im 18 now. I hope you guys can understand what im trying to say. Thanks again.
not at all.

you could be a very respectable guitarist by the age of 20, perhaps earlier.

depends how much you want it. how much you practice.
Electric would be best. Easier on ur fingers, way more to do on an electric. More than a Feeling is an easy-ish song, other than the solo. If u practice alot, and practice things like scales and speed exercizes alot, it really wouldnt take too incredibly long to be good as far as soloing and riffs are concerned. And if u like Aerosmith or Kansas or similar bands, the acoustic parts/songs u learn can be done on electric and sound just as good.
Quote by Garou1911
It's a pretty cool electric guitar solo set to a classical tune. Think "modernized classical". Check it out on youtube, pretty cool stuff.

Please watch FunTwo play Cannon Rock! This one has almost 30 MILLION hits to date...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8

Chris
Aside, great guitarists trancend age. Sure, for the most part rock is a youth gig, but I find the artists I have the most respect for are the Tom Petty's and Bob Dylan's of the world, where the music overlooks their age.

Sure, you're 18, but you've got a long way to go till you've got one foot in the grave.