Page 1 of 2
What's everyone's opinion on relatively newer guitarists buying extremely good equipment? I know that I can't do a JEM justice, but I love the guitar, I love Steve Vai, and my current guitar doesn't have a whammy bar :P

I have the money to buy it, I've been saving ever since the idea popped into my head earlier this year. Am I crazy to want this guitar? Basically my appeals stems from the following:

I love Steve Vai and his music.
I can't play many of his songs without a whammy bar.
I love that freaking guitar. I've played one, and I've held EVO.

Getting this guitar for Christmas for myself would make me very happy, and it would inspire me to work harder at guitar. So what is everyone's thought at a guy like me getting a guitar like this?
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
mate ive been playing a year and i want a razorback .
however it may give u the same inspiration it would me...
do the guitar justice by hard work and practise?
well if not.....f**k it its your money
stew
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
Are you happy with your guitar now? If you think it's ok, get a nice valve amp, then buy a slightly better guitar later.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.
I say do it, you may have been playing for 2 years and you could be miles better than people who have played for double that, how long you've been playing doesn't matter.

If you have the money, and you're sure it's what you want, then more power to you.
Funny words.
I like my guitar, but I feel limited sometimes without a whammy bar. I substitute ridiculous bends in any Steve Vai riffs I know :P
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by copet
What's everyone's opinion on relatively newer guitarists buying extremely good equipment? I know that I can't do a JEM justice, but I love the guitar, I love Steve Vai, and my current guitar doesn't have a whammy bar :P

I have the money to buy it, I've been saving ever since the idea popped into my head earlier this year. Am I crazy to want this guitar? Basically my appeals stems from the following:

I love Steve Vai and his music.
I can't play many of his songs without a whammy bar.
I love that freaking guitar. I've played one, and I've held EVO.

Getting this guitar for Christmas for myself would make me very happy, and it would inspire me to work harder at guitar. So what is everyone's thought at a guy like me getting a guitar like this?

As long as it's not the 555 go ahead.

I don't believe in the idea that guitars should be 'deserved'. Their bought.

Also, most people who critise others for having too much or too expensive gear are the ones most jealous.

If you feel that a JEM is the right guitar, you should get it. There is absolutely nothing that is holding you back.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Normally i'd advise against getting a Signature, but the JEM is so popular it's almost like a regular guitar now. Plus it looks shamazing. Go for it.
Quote by Sn^ke
Normally i'd advise against getting a Signature, but the JEM is so popular it's almost like a regular guitar now. Plus it looks shamazing. Go for it.

The thing with the JEM is, is that you have to get over the fact you're paying so much for a few cosmetic touches and Steve's name. Other than the fact that the value for money isn't it's strong point, it's a wonderful guitar though, especially if you love Vai's music and you feel like the JEM is the right instrument for you.
Yes, definately but before you buy the JEM7V (the one stocked in shops) look for some of the old limited edition JEMs cos they can look so good, I found a decent limited edition JEM for £800! But . .I've never had £800 in my life and I don't think I will at anytime soon
Quote by Bonsaischaap
The thing with the JEM is, is that you have to get over the fact you're paying so much for a few cosmetic touches and Steve's name. Other than the fact that the value for money isn't it's strong point, it's a wonderful guitar though, especially if you love Vai's music and you feel like the JEM is the right instrument for you.

It's true. But an instrument like that will last your whole life. So why not get what you want.
You have been playing long enough to know you will probably continue, so why not get a nice guitar? You know the amp could use an upgrade also, but since its a Cube you can get by. Lots of nice tube combos out there.
Quote by Sn^ke
It's true. But an instrument like that will last your whole life. So why not get what you want.

That's my point: if you feel a connection with an instrument and you can get it, get it.

I have the same thing with the ibanez PGMs, they may be overpriced, but in my opinion they have something very special too, just like the thread starter loves the JEM and everything about it.

Quote by uldhppi
You have been playing long enough to know you will probably continue, so why not get a nice guitar? You know the amp could use an upgrade also, but since its a Cube you can get by. Lots of nice tube combos out there.

Yup, but the cube is a nice amp which will last him for a while, so that's something for later.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
The Ibanez PGMs are far from overpriced, cheapest signature (that arent like squier or something) that I've seen, £600 for that, bargain!

They're not to bad no, but that's just the PGM301, keep in mind there are more (3, 30WH, 30JB, 100, 200, 300, 301, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 90th, 10th and the PGA 1000 in red and blue) and some of them are pretty damn expensive (namely the 700).

But yes, the PGM301 is a pretty good deal and it is probably the cheapest Prestige signature Ibanez (there are a few non Prestige ones, being the Noodles signature, the MMM, the MTM2, the APEX2 and the JEM555 to name some).
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 18, 2007,
Just get it, if you don't think you can do it justice, make that a challenge for you and the JEM to live up to.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I have only been playing 4 years, but later this year i want to buy a single cut trem 24, 10 top satin Paul Reed Smith. Its gunna cost me about £1,500 and its just material isnt it..in anycase its the most important thing to a guitarist, because its the "guitar" and paul reed smith guitars are the guitarists guitar, and i have played one and im hooked. Seriously dude, if you have the money and you love guitar enough..buy it without a shadow of a doubt. and to be honest i wouldnt care about anyone else opionions...its not them playing the guitar is it ?
you havent clarified what JEM you're talking about. the 555 is trash
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Yeah dude, my first guitar I bought was a $100 acoustic nylon stringed guitar, just to know if I was going to like it or not. So that it wouldn't be a "come and go" thing in my life, like skateboarding for me, which only lasted for a year. So after a year of playing with that acoustic I bought my first electric guitar and amp for like... how much in dollars can that be... hmm... let me think, yeah, about $3300 (21500 Swedish crowns), that purchase will just keep me playing more than I did before, and it will motivate me to keep playing by making the guitar playing so much more fun because of the sound you're creating with it.
So yeah, buy it! (And a loud big amp in your room is cool to have too)
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Buy the damn JEM boy. If you can afford it, then you should
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
go ahead and get it. id love to get one if i had the money. plus, if your not worth of it, its not gonna run away in the night to a new owner if it doenst like you or anything
NOPE
Do you see yourself gigging anytime soon?

If so, methinks you should get a new amp first.

I usually advise against the JEM and other signatures (why pay extra for a name and a monkey grip?) but it's your money .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Do you see yourself gigging anytime soon?

If so, methinks you should get a new amp first.

I usually advise against the JEM and other signatures (why pay extra for a name and a monkey grip?) but it's your money .

Monkey Grip > You

Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Wow, this has been very helpful! I'm glad people support the idea of getting a JEM. I want a new/mint one so that it feels like its my own, not ever played by anyone else. I'm looking at the white JEM7V because its pretty much the standard. Only JEMs I see on Ebay are the 20th anniversary ones, and from what I hear buying JEMs on Ebay is risky.

Where would one go about finding other models? Aren't most out of production?

and BTW, I'm using a Spider II 30watt now (From what I understand, people hate Spiders) but I still have the cube. I'm just a college guy playing in his dorms, not really planning on gigging though I met a fellow guitarist and he may want to start a band.

EDIT: Also, if/when I get it, it will definitely be Christmas time. I'd probably ask for money from parents/relatives to help pay, though I have $3100 in my bank account right now. I love Christmas, and I'm not even Christian
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Last edited by copet at Oct 18, 2007,
Make sure you try both new and old models. Also, try both of the new models, the JEM7 and JEM77 because a lot of people (myself included) prefer the JEM77, but they aren't as popular and might not stock them in every store you go to. Good luck, and remember...with Ibanez...older MIJ models are generally going to be better crafted than new models.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

The guitar is a tool, a friggin wrench, a hammer....just a piece of wood n metal and crap that somebody slapped together for you to express yourself. YOU are worthy of the music you will extract from that hunk of overpriced wood!...(..j/k...i love Ibanez)...i could care less about a name on the headstock....if you want whatever you want...get it, and play the sh*t outta it until it quits making your music...sacrifice it to the fire gods and buy another one!
I have been playing 2 years, and I jsut bought myself a satch sig.

Best thing I've ever done. Not once have I regretted the purchase.
If you want one get it, but I don't really think it's a smart idea.

I'm all for people having nice gear, I hate seeing a good kid playing a crappy guitar.

But have you ever really played a JEM? They are not all that nice, and are definitely not worth how much they cost.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
If you want one get it, but I don't really think it's a smart idea.

I'm all for people having nice gear, I hate seeing a good kid playing a crappy guitar.

But have you ever really played a JEM? They are not all that nice, and are definitely not worth how much they cost.

Yeah, as I stated, I have played one at Guitar Center, and got to hold Steve Vai's EVO I liked the way it felt, and every feature about it makes me happy, from the floyd rose to the scalloped frets.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by copet
Wow, this has been very helpful! I'm glad people support the idea of getting a JEM. I want a new/mint one so that it feels like its my own, not ever played by anyone else. I'm looking at the white JEM7V because its pretty much the standard. Only JEMs I see on Ebay are the 20th anniversary ones, and from what I hear buying JEMs on Ebay is risky.

and BTW, I'm using a Spider II 30watt now (From what I understand, people hate Spiders) but I still have the cube. I'm just a college guy playing in his dorms, not really planning on gigging though I met a fellow guitarist and he may want to start a band.

EDIT: Also, if/when I get it, it will definitely be Christmas time. I'd probably ask for money from parents/relatives to help pay, though I have $3100 in my bank account right now. I love Christmas, and I'm not even Christian

I like the Jem 77 Better, but the BRMR OWNS ALL JEMS!
People cite paying for "Steve's name". It may be just me, but I don't believe the JEMs actually have Steve's name anywhere on them.

Totally go for it, by the way.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by copet

Id say get a nice guitar (Seems like youre in love with that jem, but id suggest to keep an open mind, and play a prestige and a jackson SL-1 also, you may like them just as much) Id say that the prestige ibanez's are pretty nice, but a jem is quite overpriced, IMO. And then id say get a nice 1x12 (or one of the laney 1x10) tube combos. (since youre going to be ina dorm)
GL, and post pics!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Are there any other guitars with a whammy bar that can take that much of a beating though? The only other guitar that I can think of that would suit my needs (I want to learn Vai songs) would be the JS (Satriani Sig), which is actually several hundred dollars cheaper. When I tried one at Guitar Center I didn't like it, but I could be convinced of trying it again, may have just been the floor model.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
The upper end Ibanez RG Prestiges are pretty much the same guitar as the JEM, but they come with horrible pick ups compared to the Evolutions in the JEM. And they don't have the monkey grip, haha.
Personally I changed my pick ups to a PAF Joe/Fred. Satch ftw.
I think its a crazy amount for a guitar, but if you really really want it you have to buy it...

I guess your lucky not being in the UK. Guitars cost much more here, often twice as much....

The Jem7V is nearly $1000 more this side of the Atlantic!!!
Quote by copet
Are there any other guitars with a whammy bar that can take that much of a beating though? The only other guitar that I can think of that would suit my needs (I want to learn Vai songs) would be the JS (Satriani Sig), which is actually several hundred dollars cheaper. When I tried one at Guitar Center I didn't like it, but I could be convinced of trying it again, may have just been the floor model.

Any guitar with an OFR?

You could get a Floyd Rose DSOT-2 for $300...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Page 1 of 2