What kind of Guitar Amps are there? I know there is Tube Amps, Soild State Amps but I dont know if there are any other kinds of Amps and what are the differences between them all; can any help me?
Hybrid amps, too. But they're really just solid state amps with a single valve in them. Still not the real thing. You can also buy preamps and power amps seperately, both solid state and valve.
Solid State
Digital/Modeling
Hybrid
All Tube - most common tube amp, it is considered a proper all tube amp, i just used the different names to differentiate between this and the one below
Proper All Tube

Solid State, uses transistors, not usually very liked in music circles, except in jazz
Modeling, digitally models effects/tone in the preamp, usually with a solid state power amp
Hybrid, uses a tube in the preamp, still solid state power amp, bit of a gimmick imo
All tube, uses tubes in preamp and power amp, solid state rectifier circuitry
Proper all tube, uses tubes in all of preamp, power amp and rectifier
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Last edited by mcw00t at Oct 18, 2007,
There's Solidstate, Valve/Tube, modelling & hybrid.- modelling & hybrid can be combined.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^^ eh, i disagree with the "proper" all tube. i see what you mean, though.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
^^ eh, i disagree with the "proper" all tube. i see what you mean, though.

i just used that 'proper' to differentiate between them

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
ha, alright i see. people just might take it the wrong way though, thinking a tube amp with a ss rectifier might not be a true tube amp.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
yeah, i get what you mean, i'll edit it

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Right now I have a small crappy practice amp and Im thinking about getting a new one; but first Im going to research the hell out of them; I want a really good Amp for Heavy Metal like (Pantera, Slayer, Metallica) style music, what style of amp should I get?
Quote by Metalhead505
Right now I have a small crappy practice amp and Im thinking about getting a new one; but first Im going to research the hell out of them; I want a really good Amp for Heavy Metal like (Pantera, Slayer, Metallica) style music, what style of amp should I get?

A tube amp, basically, what's your budget?

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I dont have a budget one a Amp, I will pay however much it is. I am thinking on getting a Randall or a Krank! Are there any downfall to having a tube amp? And what makes them good for Metal playing than other amps?
there are two main types of amps:

the good ones and the bad ones

haha J/K
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by Yngwi3
There's Solidstate, Valve/Tube, modelling & hybrid.- modelling & hybrid can be combined.

why? modelling and hybrid are both completely different

Valve/Tube - use thermionic valves/vacuum tubes (depending on which side of the pond you're on) in the amplification circuit. They have a very dynamic, organic sound and are very responsive to whatever you happen to plug in to them. Valves are old technology though and they're only really found in guitar amps these days so valve amps tend to cost more.

Solid State - uses transistors, a lot cheaper to manufacture and theroetically less to go wrong than with a valve amp...theoretically. Sound tends to be somewhat flat and distortion can be quite harsh, excellent for modern, high gain sounds where you want a nasty-sounding tone, also good for acoustic amplification as solid state doesn't colour the tone as much as a tube amp. Jazzers often like them too.

Hybrid - usually a solid state amp with a tube in the preamp somewhere, but also can be a full tube pre-amp with a solid state power section, or vice versa. Some hybrids are very good, but most don't sound all that great and the tubes are often little more than decorative so treat as solid state.

Modelling - a solid state amp that uses digital processing to simulate the characteristics of other amps. Expensive ones are powerful studio tools and a godsend for the recording guitarist, cheap ones give you multiple amp models, none of which sound anything like the real thing...that doesn't necessarily mean they sound bad though. Unless it's a line 6 Spider.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com