Page 1 of 2
Hey guys I'm using a Fender FM100 stack at the moment, which is all very well, but I want better. Do I buy a new head? I play all sorts of styles from indie/pop rock to metal/hardcore (prefering the latter) so want a new head that can suffice.

I was thinking a Line6 Spider3 HD150 and use the amp modelling on that to make my guitars sound nicer. (Epiphone SG with EMGhzs/LAG Arkane with dimarzios). I want something with power but won't feed back or anything. And hopefully one that will work through my four 12inch fender speakers on the cab.

Do help! X
The Line 6 will not be an upgrade. Another low end SS amp is not the way to go. Go for something tube and remember, it doesn't have to be a halfstack to rock.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Go for the 6505.I'm not sure if it will work with the fender but it is a good metal amp.The best metal amp.
Save up, and get another Fnder head. Or you might want to look for Orange amps. Seem like that, alongside a tubescreamer would be ideal fotr your style. Also, feel free to sned me that head...
Id save up and get a Fender Super-Sonic head. Its all-tube, and apparently is super-versatile. Or a Peavey Windsor head. isnt too much, especially for an all-tube head.
Quote by The devil spawn
Go for the 6505.I'm not sure if it will work with the fender but it is a good metal amp.The best metal amp.

I love switching between clean and overdrive channels. Will the 6505 work for this as easily as the Fm100? And will my crappy fender speakers hack the quality of the Peavey head? Or do I need new speakers too?
Quote by the fendernator
Hey guys I'm using a Fender FM100 stack at the moment, which is all very well, but I want better. Do I buy a new head? I play all sorts of styles from indie/pop rock to metal/hardcore (prefering the latter) so want a new head that can suffice.

I was thinking a Line6 Spider3 HD150 and use the amp modelling on that to make my guitars sound nicer. (Epiphone SG with EMGhzs/LAG Arkane with dimarzios). I want something with power but won't feed back or anything. And hopefully one that will work through my four 12inch fender speakers on the cab.

Do help! X

No. The Spider 3 will not make your guitars sound nicer.

Go tube, or at the very least cruise the forums for some of the decent solid state options.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by the fendernator
I love switching between clean and overdrive channels. Will the 6505 work for this as easily as the Fm100? And will my crappy fender speakers hack the quality of the Peavey head? Or do I need new speakers too?

For the love of god, if you want to play a decent indie rock sound, don't get a 6505.
Epiphone+EMGs+Fender SS Half-Stack. . .

That's a recipe for god-awful tone if I ever heard it.

Get a real amp, not a modeling one.

Try a fender combo for indie/general rock.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I did but found it not too useful in making the guitar sound nicer. I generally play the Epiphone through the Marshall anyway. The LAG can hack any sound or style, I just need an amp to match...

Versatility is the key! I need an amp that sounds good whatever style really. That's why I suggested a modelling amp.
Quote by the fendernator
Versatility is the key! I need an amp that sounds good whatever style really. That's why I suggested a modelling amp.

The great thing about those it that they sound bad, regardless of the style.

You've read it, you can't un-read it!
A small fender tube combo will play anything you want, if you need more gain you can get a pedal.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
well, you're problem is that your playing out of a $500 USD stack. I personally love fender amplifiers but i also think that you really aren't getting that much until yer paying way too much for the amp(i'd love a '65 twin reissue, but i won't pay $1200 for the damn thing or $2500 for a vibroverb!). but i have always been pretty dissapointed with fender's low end amps.

unfortunately i have also been VERY dissapointed with the Line 6 amp and effect modeling, i would only suggest it to someone who just wants an amp around that has alot of options that come with it. cuz if you get it, yer gonna play this thing in your room thinkin it sounds pretty good and stuff and then the first time you go to a friends house and hear how it sounds next to a REAL amp your gonna realize those amp modelers have the tonal qualities of a pocket calculator. i would severely suggest staying away from these things unless you really don't care how you amp sounds and you just want more options.

personally, i would avoid marshall too. marshalls don't really sound bad to me(although i HATED my friends jcm2000 combo, and i HATED that damn BS valvestate i bought in high school), their heads are usually nice(jcm800's are still pretty affordable) and i like their cabinets quite a bit.

right now i am really digging on my orange amp setup(read sig) and i still really like my old early 80's music man for when i want my fender tones. my advice would be just start keeping an eye out for another amp, be a little patient and observe. what amps do the bands i like play with? what do my friends use? what can i afford? look on local trading posts, you might find a steal. found a 80's marshall 4x12 for 250 today.

good luck
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I can't afford Orange equipment! I'm looking at Randall but my first impressions are that indie/pop will not be tolerated through a Randall head.

I bought a Digitech DF-7 distortion modelling pedal but the FM100 cries if i put the gain higher than about half way when I try to get the hard rock/metal tones.
go for a marshall tube head. the jvm is the most versatile, but it's super pricy. the tsl 2000 (i think) is pretty decent too. just make sure you really look into them, if you for a marshall b/c you dont want to get stuck with one of their ****ty models (buy one that's either 80s or really recent)
Quote by SG thrasher
You can pick up a used GH for under £300. It has a switchable gain stage which sort of works as a second channel.

YOU WILL NOT USE A DISTORTION PEDAL WITH THIS BEAST.

A new GH50 is only £400, which was under £500 last time I looked

There's bound to be some Fallen Angel heads knocking round too, they'll be cheap.

http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/productAshdownFallenAngel60DspHead-169-165.html

...okay, that's a bit screwed up...the head costs about a tone more than the 2x12 combo, assuming they have any in stock.

http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/productAshdownFallenAngel60Dsp-169-165.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by the fendernator
I can't afford Orange equipment! I'm looking at Randall but my first impressions are that indie/pop will not be tolerated through a Randall head.

I bought a Digitech DF-7 distortion modelling pedal but the FM100 cries if i put the gain higher than about half way when I try to get the hard rock/metal tones.

Well, I guess no one can. Heh. Nor can I. Randall won't push Indie. What about the Fender MH? (Metalhead) I haven't heard to much about this, nor if they're tube or not, but they sound good aswell. May be expensive.
Just get an Orange Tiny Terror. That thing was meant for Brit/indie rock and with proper pedals can pull off hard rock/some metal.
Quote by steven seagull
A new GH50 is only £400, which was under £500 last time I looked

There's bound to be some Fallen Angel heads knocking round too, they'll be cheap.

http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/productAshdownFallenAngel60DspHead-169-165.html

...okay, that's a bit screwed up...the head costs about a tone more than the 2x12 combo, assuming they have any in stock.

http://www.rockingrooster.co.uk/productAshdownFallenAngel60Dsp-169-165.html

I said USED , 'nothing wrong with used amps if it saves him a hundred or so quid, he could buy a nice 2x12 for that.

I picked up my GH100L used, mint condition, all original, for £280. I've seen em going for around £300 on ebay, and, while i hate to stop people selling their gear, it's a much better amp than the fallen angel

EDIT: check this out
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laney-GH50L-50w-Valve-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ200164487501QQihZ010QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by SG thrasher at Oct 19, 2007,
I know, I was just saying that even a new one was in his budget if he couldn't find a used one...I mean, how many people are daft enough to get rid of one?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by SG thrasher
I picked up my GH100L used, mint condition, all original, for £280. I've seen em going for around £300 on ebay

I can get a brand new laney Gh100L from Dolphin Music (.co.uk) for £469. Any other suggestions of where I could get a new one cheaper? I'm very tempted.
Quote by the fendernator
lol on the same website the Gh50L is £499 so I may as well stick with the Gh100
Good god, do you know how loud valve amps are? GH50L is plenty loud enough, the extra 50 watts isn't even worth the price IMO.

Oh, and: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gh-50l-with-el34s/374

GH50L. £400, BRAND NEW. Used you can pick them up for £300 in perfect condition.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Page 1 of 2