I'm looking to get a new amp head. definetely a high gain head, cleans don't matter to me at all, as my Valveking handles those very well.

I want something with a 'big' sound. I was looking at the Peavey XXX and the Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier, the dual's were also on my radar. but I honestly don't need that much wattage if there's a smaller amount with the same tone (unless the dual has features the single doesn't?).

and any other recommendations would be great!

I would just cruise around and try amp after amp out but the closest legit guitar store that isn't a low rent pawn shop is 150 miles away. bah!
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
If you can find a used Mesa F-30 or F-50, that might be right up your alley. The stock response to this question is "Used 5150 combo", but that might be too much power/volume, if you're concerned with that.
What kind of bands? are you looking for a 'dark' sort of tone like Arch Enemy and InFlames or something brighter?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^sorry no.

I'm not into the super high gain stuff. metal wise- I'm more of a System of a Down or Slipknot kind of guy. then I get into playing stuff like STP, Alice in Chains type stuff, which a high gain amp could handle with a turning down of the gain.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Bogner XTC

Your new God.

If he's looking at XXXs and Rectos, I highly doubt he has enough for an XTC...

TS, for starters, what is it you don't like about your VK?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If he's looking at XXXs and Rectos, I highly doubt he has enough for an XTC...

TS, for starters, what is it you don't like about your VK?

cost isn't an issue. I simply didn't want to pay a ton for an amp at the time, and the VK worked well when I was at a point without an amp.

I'll check into the Bogner. I've heard a lot of negatives about thier quality.
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
...I'll check into the Bogner. I've heard a lot of negatives about thier quality.

what kind of negatives did you hear about their quality?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
The Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster combo switches between 50 or 100 watts and comes in either a 1x12 or a 2x12.
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
cost isn't an issue. I simply didn't want to pay a ton for an amp at the time, and the VK worked well when I was at a point without an amp.

I can't say I've ever heard any negatives about the Bogners...

However, I've heard they can get muddy, which isn't something you'd really want from an amp that costs...what? $3400 new? Somethin like that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader

you really ought not to say that cost isn't an issue, unless you're willing to spend an assload. without any estimated pricerange, people will just throw up the names of some amazing, really expensive boutique amps.

like the bogner uberschall. sounds....SO good. i really can't say i've heard anything bad about bogner.
I've heard good things about ENGL for high gain. But i can't elaborate further because i don't know enough about them.

Defiantly an amp brand to look into though.
If Engl amps sound as good as their preamp, I would look no further. My Engl E530 preamp has so much motherf*cking gain, it's f*cking ridiculous. I LOVE IT! Sorry about all the F-words (it's okay to cuss here, if you * part of it, right?). If not, I can go back and edit them all out—you'll just lose some of the post's "flavor." Sorry, but I tend to get real excited whenever I talk about my Engl preamp.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 19, 2007,
Quote by climhazzard
you really ought not to say that cost isn't an issue, unless you're willing to spend an assload. without any estimated pricerange, people will just throw up the names of some amazing, really expensive boutique amps.

like the bogner uberschall. sounds....SO good. i really can't say i've heard anything bad about bogner.

true true. I was looking for something in the area of $1500 for the head, whether that be new or used.

Quote by Erock503
what kind of negatives did you hear about their quality?

I can't put a finger on it. I used to jump between here and a couple other guitar forums and I remember the Bogner's getting bashed for crapping out on multiple occassions. I've never heard anything negative about thier sound quality.