I mean slow... I can only do 100 BPM, all 16th notes, like a simple 4 note excersize.

I broke my wrist a few months back (my arm that plays the notes), could've that majorly slowed me down, or do I just suck ass for 9 month player? Are there any excersizes to strengthen whatever muscle speeds up the movement of your fingers, or any techniques I should be learning?

Thanks
Just practice and practice, but dont over do it. Remember muscles grow during rest.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Footzyrama
Just practice and practice, but dont over do it. Remember muscles grow during rest.

yea I was thinking if I practice enough, it would be in my muscle "memory". That happened with Laid To Rest, but now I struggle playing it, my left and right hand are always out of sync
Quote by kyrreca
Focus on playing correctly, not on playing fast. You'll develop speed over time.

How long, do you think that takes?

also, could it be the guitar?

I'm playing a Godin G series, my neighbor is letting me borrow it until I get my new guitar, an ESP f-250.

Do you think, the new fretboard, might help speed me up a bit, since this is the only guitar I ever play.
If you've only been playing for 9 months, I wouldn't expect you to be able to play fast at all. Some people can take a couple of years before being able to play fast - other people never manage it, while some get it right away.

Focus on playing correctly first. Then, the more you play, your speed will naturally build up, provided that you are indeed playing properly. If you start trying to take shortcuts or just start focusing on speed and nothing else, you'll end up sounding terrible and will get into bad habits that down the road, you won't be able to shake off.

Focusing on speed is pretty much the #1 thing that stops so many guitar players from becoming good.
Not very long, only about 20 minutes if you keep playing the same riff over and over.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
I have an exersize tool form Planet Wave call the Gripmaster and it is pretty sweet and is only $13, I love it, It exersizes the fingers, hand, wrist, and forarm. You should check it out!
Quote by bokuho
If you've only been playing for 9 months, I wouldn't expect you to be able to play fast at all. Some people can take a couple of years before being able to play fast - other people never manage it, while some get it right away.

Focus on playing correctly first. Then, the more you play, your speed will naturally build up, provided that you are indeed playing properly. If you start trying to take shortcuts or just start focusing on speed and nothing else, you'll end up sounding terrible and will get into bad habits that down the road, you won't be able to shake off.

Focusing on speed is pretty much the #1 thing that stops so many guitar players from becoming good.

That sounds like me. Thanks. I don't really know many other people who can play at my school, so I don't have anyone IRL to compare to, however.

@metalhead, is it like a stress ball? Could I try that and see if it works?

Also, my ring finger is really weak, that I can barely use it.

in the beginning of Laid To Rest, I need to use it, and that's partially where i struggle.
Last edited by Links 2 3 4 at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by bokuho

these words are true
Quote by Links 2 3 4
That sounds like me. Thanks. I don't really know many other people who can play at my school, so I don't have anyone IRL to compare to, however.

@metalhead, is it like a stress ball? Could I try that and see if it works?

Also, my ring finger is really weak, that I can barely use it.

in the beginning of Laid To Rest, I need to use it, and that's partially where i struggle.

Check it out!

http://www.music123.com/Gripmaster-Exercise-Tool-429070-i1134911.Music123
I saw that before. Right now im in a huge hole of no money, so unfortuneately, even though it's tiny price tag, I can't get it now. It's sure going to be in my mind, however.
Quote by Links 2 3 4
I saw that before. Right now im in a huge hole of no money, so unfortuneately, even though it's tiny price tag, I can't get it now. It's sure going to be in my mind, however.

You can also exersize with a stress ball, opening and closing your hand alot, also rubber bands you can put on your fingers to stretch. There are a ton of ways; I go the Gripmaster because it is more simpler and I had the money to burn on it, But I would really consider getting one they are wearth every penny!
Rubber bands? just stretch your finger out, as far as you can? Thanks for the tips, guys.
Who said 16th notes at 100 BPM is slow? It's not for a lot of things and I'll bet
its WAY faster than you should be practicing (after only 9 months) to get things
right. I still practice plenty of stuff at 60-70 BPM at not even 16th notes and I started
playing over 30 years ago. If you don't perfect things slow, you'll NEVER play fast
well.

I have a couple of GripMasters, but I would advise you not. Mostly because its
so much less about finger strength than it is about accuracy and technique. It
takes VERY little actual work to push a string down. A lot of what you think is
finger strength now is most likely excess tension.

If you do get a GripMaster, don't pretend to be superman. Get the lightest one
to start. You want to work it over a full range of motion and not hurt yourself.