Poll: Your opinion of Gibson Flying V is...
Poll Options
View poll results: Your opinion of Gibson Flying V is...
They're awesome!
110 60%
They suck.
35 19%
I'm not sure.
39 21%
Voters: 184.
Page 1 of 2
I personally love Gibson Flying Vs. Especially the worn cherry reissues. It's true they don't have the best clean sound but that doesn't affect my opinion much.

YouTube link A random example I picked of a Flying V. Exact model unknown.

So like or dislike? And mention why.
I like the Gibson V's. Prefer them to some of the Jackson style ones.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I'm not a real fan of any flying V's.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Really can't stand any of 'V' shaped guitars. I've yet to come across a single example of one that sounded nice - let alone the fact they all look stupid (yes yes, in my opinion, etc etc).
i own one. i love it. it doesn't sound as nice as my schecter, but, c'mon, it's a flying V. how metal?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
that is about as crazy of a metal-esque looking guitar as i would buy
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
I think there way over rated... just because their looks... Well to people around here in PA, at least.

I'd rather get a Jackson Flying V shaped guitar...

I'm not saying there bad, however.
I like them. The necks feel super comfortable to me. Balance is pretty good. Tonal variety is actually pretty good too for something that has very little in the way of extras (no coil taps, phase switches, etc). Hell, they're certainly not just for metal.
Quote by stephen_rettie
ya nice, the 500T is a great pickup for distortion I wouldnt buy one but thats just cause they're uncomfortable

How so?
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I think they're awesome. They're more of a simple V shape and all these new ones that try so hard to be metal just look dumb.
i played my friends~its pretty cool, awesome sounds and feel

wouldnt own one tho, im more of a super strat fan
I think pointy guitar look goofy, mostly... But, different artists use different brushes... or something like that. I'll stick with SGs and Jags.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by bokuho
Really can't stand any of 'V' shaped guitars. I've yet to come across a single example of one that sounded nice - let alone the fact they all look stupid (yes yes, in my opinion, etc etc).

You took the words outta my mouth.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I like Gibson Explorers better. They're more comfy and have fatter tone. The V's look cool though.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
i like them, Wishbone ash axe man andy powell uses them...and they sound amazing with his Matamps i saw him play with when i saw them.
Quote by DieKrupps
i like them, Wishbone ash axe man andy powell uses them...and they sound amazing with his Matamps i saw him play with when i saw them.

Actually it's the other Axe-man from Wishbone Ash, Ted Turner that uses them. Or at least he did in the 70's...
I prefer the traditional Gibson looking ones to the pointer jackson/ESP ones. I was going to get one but I got myself an Ibanez instead.

PSN ID: ArranP
I love them. People complain that you can't play them while sitting down, but they're not made for that - they're made for going onstage with and rocking the f*ck out.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Well, I have said this many times I used to collect Gibsons and my favs were always Vs and Explorers over all. I never came across a bad V actually I never came across any Gibson I thought was bad.
ive played the v and they sound great but for cleans not so much. but not a big deal, you just have to get pickups that sound good distorted and clean
am not a fan of the looks but never played 1 so dunno what to expect
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
I love them, Explorers and Firebirds; I'd seriously consider buying one if it wasn't for the fact that I'd need to buy another case just for it.
Epiphone Dot Studio
Peavey Valve King 112 (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)
Digitech Hot Head
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95
Elixir .010-.052
I have an Epiphone V modded considerably a lot.(Air Norton Neck, XN2 bridge, locking bridge, locking tuners.) I think the guitar itself is awesome to play. It does play a lot different than Les Pauls, Strats, Explorers, etc., but I think you just have to get used to it.

But regular flying V's on the other hand kind of look blah to me. Everyone has one and they almost all look the same. You should either get a regular flying v and paint it or just make it look cool some how, or, you should get a different flying v. Older models come to mind, V2, Pro, or any other one that is not just pickguard, pickups, and neck. My flying v has a custom pickguard, custom Gibson Speed Knobs, and different things. (Pics in profile soon!)
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I don't like flying v's, they are really uncomfortable, in my opinion.
Quote by KileManA7X
You sir, are an honorary genius! Take this badge, you made us proud!
Own one and love it.

The clean tone is bad? Huh?

I think it's more comfortable to play sitting down than a traditionally shaped guitar (dreadnought, LP, etc). Just stick one wing between your legs and let it lean.
I would love to get a faded V, they look awesome and I love the thin finishes (much like the highway one strats).
Nah, I'd rather have a reverse Firebird.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
The only think I don't like is how uncomfortable they are to sit down and play.

Otherwise I love them. I actually REALLY want one.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Quote by add666
Dislike - id rather have the pointier jackson or ESP style

yeah man I really dislike the gibson flying V since its too expensive and hard to play sitting down and...the pickups... and u can get a randy rhoads V from jackson that has nice pickups and a whammy that is good... seriously only buy a flying v if it has a jimi hendrix paint design and is cheap. and for decoration.

but...I sorta like them but way better V's out there
Quote by Zooropean11
Actually it's the other Axe-man from Wishbone Ash, Ted Turner that uses them. Or at least he did in the 70's...

andy powell uses them too.
wishbones new guitarist (some finnish guy) uses a strat and a les paul.
i saw them last year.
all powell used was v's.

i think gibson v's are ugly.
mustaine, king and rhoads v's are beautiful.
Quote by TJM2482
I would love to get a faded V, they look awesome and I love the thin finishes (much like the highway one strats).

The thin finish is great.
Can anyone tell me if Flying Vs are lighter or heavier than Gibson Les Pauls? If I found a Gibson that weighed like a Strat I would be happy.
Page 1 of 2