Alright!
(Important parts underlined for those of you who don't want to read my extremely long post! haha)

So as many of you may know, I just recently bought a Mesa F-30 combo but a friend of mine that I lent it to for a show just offered me $650 plus a full set of tubes for whatever amp I replace it with. So... seeing as (combined) that's more than what I paid for the amp, I'm going to take him up on that offer.

I also recently (FINALLY!) got some offers on my 5150, and hopefully get it sold soon as well, so I'll be in the market for a new amp, yet again.

I play mostly metal (Bring Me the Horizon, Lamb of God, As Blood Runs Black, etc), but I like my cleans as well.
Like to play some pink floyd type stuff and blues every once and a while. My budget will be around $1200 or so, but I might be willing to go a bit higher if I really like the amp and it's worth it. I have a Marshall 1960 cab, so I don't need to buy a cab, so the entire budget is just for the head (or combo). I really don't need the portability of a combo right now as I'm not gigging and wouldn't mind having to move the 4x12 anyway, it's not that much of a hassle for me really. Volume isn't really an issue for me, I can turn it up pretty loud at home (my neighbors don't care, they're just as loud).

The amps I'm currently looking into are:

VHT Deliverance
VHT Pittbull 50 Ultra-Lead
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Revolution
Mesa Dual Recto (2 Channel)
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Mark III (Blue Stripe)
Mesa Roadster
Soldano Lucky 13
Soldano Avenger
Framus Cobra
Engl Fireball
Engl Powerball
Engl Blackmore
Mako Dorado
Carvin V3

I know, it's quite a list, but most of them I won't be able to buy unless one comes up to at least try first because I'm not going to buy just off soundclips. What are your guys impressions of these amps and strengths/weaknesses? Oh, and I'd be buying used obviously.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 19, 2007,
Powerball or just wait and save up and get an ENGL SE
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
Well I've always been under the impression that the Mark IV can do everything?
Save and go the whole hog and go for Bogner
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
a Bogner would be good. Out of the list, id say a dual rec., maybe the Carvin. And why not a JCM800 or something like that??
Well...see... I have enough money to buy the SE or a Bogner if I wanted to, but I don't see myself spending that much money on an amp, I'd probably spend max about $1600, but I don't really want to go over that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't see myself spending that much money on an amp

DO IT
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
The Framus Cobra is the best high-gain head I've played through, plus has great crunch and clean sounds to boot. Also, not everyone has one, which I rather like.
Other than that, the ENGL Powerball is awesome (I actually prefer it to the SE).
I don't know how much they retail for, but the Rivera Knucklehead is also a great metal amp.
i would give some better suggestions, but high-gain/metal amps aren't my specialty ha.

the mark IV doesn't seem voiced too dark, like your 5150, and i dunno yet if that's a matter of tweaking, or just the voicing of the amp. it's cleans are nice, but it's high gain obviously isn't its #1 priority IMO.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Well I really want something more closer to my Mesa's tone, I don't like how the 5150 sounds at all compared to it. Too fizzy, harsh and undefined for my liking. I want a well defined and smoother sounding distortion out of it over the 5150.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
oh, well then those mesa's you mentioned probably have what you're looking for ha.

Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Wow, fireballs are cheaper than I thought... I could buy that one new and just send it back if I decided I didn't like it I guess.

Anyone ever tried the Mako?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh, I also forgot to say that the ones I can try are: All VHT, Krank, Mesa and Soldano as well as *maybe* that Carvin if the guy ever gets back to me on it.

Obviously with the Mako I'd have to just order it and try it out, so if anyone's ever tried one I'd really like your opinion. The Engl and Framus I'd also have to order, but the only one I'd really be willing to do that with is the Fireball because it's within my range and if I liked it I would just keep it, the other 2 Engls and the Framus are over what I'd like to spend and I'd want to buy those used (if I can find them).

I'm also replacing the top 2 speakers in my 1960 with Vintage 30s as I really like the G12-75/V30 combo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'll hi light and discuss the amps I've used/heard/owned/whatever

VHT Deliverance
VHT Pittbull 50 Ultra-Lead
Krank Krankenstein
Krank Revolution
Mesa Dual Recto (2 Channel) - Awesome amp, I own the two channel triple, both are awesome amps. Lots of whump and an all around ballsy ass amp
Mesa Mark IV - Tighter and less "whumpy" than the recto, insanely versatile and tweakable, awesome cleans, great amp
Mesa Mark III (Blue Stripe)
Mesa Roadster Some what like a recto, lots of options and versatility, great amp
Soldano Lucky 13
Soldano Avenger
Framus Cobra
Engl Fireball This amp is good, not as good as some of the other amps you're looking at though, IMO
Engl Powerball See above
Engl Blackmore
Mako Dorado
Carvin V3 Awesome cleans, great distortion, really versatile. I think its great for your price range.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Oh, I also forgot to say that the ones I can try are: All VHT, Krank, Mesa and Soldano as well as *maybe* that Carvin if the guy ever gets back to me on it.

Obviously with the Mako I'd have to just order it and try it out, so if anyone's ever tried one I'd really like your opinion. The Engl and Framus I'd also have to order, but the only one I'd really be willing to do that with is the Fireball because it's within my range and if I liked it I would just keep it, the other 2 Engls and the Framus are over what I'd like to spend and I'd want to buy those used (if I can find them).

I'm also replacing the top 2 speakers in my 1960 with Vintage 30s as I really like the G12-75/V30 combo.

Did you consider doing an X pattern with those speakers to blend them better?
Nevermind. I originally wrote "ENGL!" like a billion times in all-bolded caps. But SayOcean has actually heard several of the other amps and rated them slightly higher. But, I bet the Engl whatever-ball kicks f*ckin' ass too!

I just know that my Engl E530 produces the finally-high-enough-gain, the I-can-totally-hear-my-guitar's-tone tone, the totally-distorted-enough-distortion, and the harmonics-amplification sonics, that I've been searching for, for my entire life! I know that a couple U.S. Engl dealers offer (short) return policies, since they realize these products aren't readily available to demo.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 19, 2007,
I've got a Fireball and it's got awesome crushing metal distortion and I love it but I regret not checking out the Laboga mr. Hector. Just listen to the sound clips. It's pretty cheap as well.
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
Yeah, the Engl Fireball head retails for only $1,274 USD at U.S. dealers. Often, including free ground shipping and no sales tax! That's right in your ballpark, isn't it, Matrix? And you already have the cabinet, right? If I may quote the Rock Solid Amps site description here:

ENGL FIREBALL E625:

"BURN! 2 channel NO-FRILLS-JUST-TONE amp, designed for modern heavy rock, sparkling
cleans, and soaring lead sounds, combined with supersonic punch, and tight response, in an easy to handle power package. Hearing is believing." —Rock Solid Amps

By the way, Tabs, what cabinet are your running your Fireball through?
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 19, 2007,
I'm running it through my friends Framus V30 2X12 which I'm planning to buy. Great cab and very cheap!

Overall good cleans, crushing distortion and pretty much nothing in between. Suits me perfectly!
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
Well, I'm reticent to disagree with a fellow Engl owner, but in IMHO, it offers everything in between (at least the E530 preamp does—maybe the amp is different?). The E530, at least to my ears, offers everything from near Fender Twin-clean, to blues-ey, to full-on, balls-out, ridiculous-gain metal!

Engls a very bright, and probably not what your looking for. (Once again depends how good you can tweak.)

Dont bother with the Rectifier, imo quiet muddy, the Mark IV kills it.

An amp I would suggest is the Fender EVH. Its based once again on the 5150, but has pretty good cleans.

A Diezel imo would be my top choice! Or Mark IV.
Based on price, Mark IV, but look into a Diezel.

Actually, a Soldano SLO100 would be up their too, look into that!
My Engl E530 is a little bright. I turn down the treble and mids to get a darker sound. A good post-effects EQ could do the same. After going through my TC Electronic G•Major multi-effects unit, however, its tone sounds pretty goddamned awesome. There's also a 3-band parametric in the "G•Unit" that I haven't even played with yet. I typically turn my gain up to '9' or '10' on the Engl, and use, say, the "Detune" preset on the G•Major, and I'm totally "there." But, then again, I'm all rack-mount units, and set-up primarily for DI recording into a DAW. Your mileage may vary.

My typical Engl E530 preamp settings:

Lead gain = 9
Bass = 10
Low mid = 8
High mid = 3
Treble = 5
Lead volume = 10
Contour = on
High gain = on
Frequency-compensated, line-out [cabinet emulator] = not used

Quote by LEVEL4
Well, I'm reticent to disagree with a fellow Engl owner, but in IMHO, it offers everything in between (at least the E530 preamp does—maybe the amp is different?). The E530, at least to my ears, offers everything from near Fender Twin-clean, to blues-ey, to full-on, balls-out, ridiculous-gain metal!

You see, the Fireball is a two channel amp with shared EQ and gain control. You can get a decent crunch sound if you turn the gain to like 8-9 but if you switch channel then you'll have gain at an unbearable level. I haven't tried to get a bluesy sound yet but I'm guessing it's nothing to write home about.

But thats what I like about it as well, It got nothing I wouldn't use + it makes it cheap .
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
Yeah, I've considered the X patern of speakers which is most likely what I'll end up doing over the V30s on top.

For the Fireball, how's its clean channel?

Those Labogas look interesting, but I can't seem to find any dealers in the US?

I'd REALLY like an SLO or Diezel, but unless I find a REALLY good deal, that's more than I want to spend on an amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by False_God
^Ebay?

Labogas? oh yeah! the guy from Annihilator uses one, they are meant to be something else alright, If you can find you go for it.

http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=?SKU=GIT0010778-000&ProductUUID=0&JumpTo=OfferList
Is that the one your on about?

Yes, that it is.

I won't buy from ebay (unless I get a REALLY good deal and can sell it for more if I don't like it), don't feel comfortable buying something I can't play first.

I currently have a guy locally that will sell me a Mark III Green Stripe for $900, and a guy with a SLO60 Series 2 head in mint condition for $750. How are these two amps, compared to others?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Metallica used the mark III. Its a pretty hi gain amp and once again and great hi-gain amp.

It would be along side the mark IV imo.

Straight away, Im gonna say GET THE SLO-60

Correct me if Im wrong, but they are pretty rare! Its tone would be that of a Jcm-800 type tone. But with an nice od infront bring on the metal!
Hmm, anyone ever played the SLO60? He's a pretty far drive from here (about an hour and a half there) so I'd really like to know as much about it as I can before I try it.

Also, there's a Mesa Blue Angel combo for $750, how are these?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 20, 2007,
Quote by False_God
Engls a very bright, and probably not what your looking for. (Once again depends how good you can tweak.)

Dont bother with the Rectifier, imo quiet muddy, the Mark IV kills it.

An amp I would suggest is the Fender EVH. Its based once again on the 5150, but has pretty good cleans.

A Diezel imo would be my top choice! Or Mark IV.
Based on price, Mark IV, but look into a Diezel.

Actually, a Soldano SLO100 would be up their too, look into that!

If you didn't read, he said TWO channel dual rec. The TWO channel dual rec is a great amp, not fizzy like the THREE channel. The TWO channel has some balls, lots of wump. Mark IVs are really hard to tweak, much harder than the TWO channel dual rec. Not everyone wants to spend that much time looking for a sound they like. Its a very tight amp, and some people don't want a tight tone like that, and want a thick rythym tone. IMO mark IVs are kinda hard to dial in for t3h_bruhtalz chug even though they have amazing lead tone. Both are great amps, just different beasts, and need to be given a fair chance.
Blue angels are more a bluesy sounding amp. Although i didnt get to crank it so im not sure. If you can get your hands on a Cobra anywhere, i'd say do it. I always though Engl's were too bright and i havn't played any of the other amps mentioned.
Quote by nirvallica
Blue angels are more a bluesy sounding amp. Although i didnt get to crank it so im not sure. If you can get your hands on a Cobra anywhere, i'd say do it. I always though Engl's were too bright and i havn't played any of the other amps mentioned.

Yeah, that's what I thought the Blue Angel would be more like just judging by the name, but on the front it had the recto badge, so i figured I'd ask. I'd deffinately grab a cobra if I could, but there'd have to be one for sale around here, a guy had one for sale for the halfstack for $1700 I think it was a while back but I didn't have the money then or I would've bought it and it's since gone on craigslist
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com