Page 1 of 2
So a couple of friends and myself are planning to take a gap year between college and uni and travel to America, live there for a year, travel around the major cities/states.

Is there anywhere we should put on our trip list? Also, any information regarding visas/immigration/customs guidelines would me much appreciated. I know there are loads of American users here on UG so I feel sure the pit'll be able to help us out.

Thanks!

P.S - The trips planned for August 2009. Yes I know it's a long way off, but we've got to get the money together, etc. and we'd like to get it all planned out in good time.
Make sure you visit NY, LA, Miami, and Las Vegas. You're gonna need a visa if you're planning on getting a job or renting an apartment.
deffinately go to New York City.
Grand Canyon's pretty sweet if your into that kinda stuff
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Here are some of the great cities and attractions

Pretty much all of New York City. It's amazing just to walk around and see things.
Space Needle in Seattle
Gateway Arch in St. Louis
A lot of stuff in Philidelphia
A lot of LA
Grand Canyon (absolutly beautiful) in Arizona

I'll PM you more if I think of any.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Do this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=kllacpg_OfA

Skip to 3 minutes or so.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
if possible, avoid anything in Pennsylvania that lies between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

Quote by master
go to orlando, too. Disney, Universal, space center...

definitely worth it if you can afford it.
Go to Cedar Point in northern Ohio if you like thrill rides(nationally known...I think).
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by RHCP94
Here are some of the great cities and attractions

Pretty much all of New York City. It's amazing just to walk around and see things.
Space Needle in Seattle
Gateway Arch in St. Louis
A lot of stuff in Philidelphia
A lot of LA
Grand Canyon (absolutly beautiful) in Arizona

I'll PM you more if I think of any.

+a million

grand canyon seattle and new york...

but instead of LA, try san diego, beaches are real nice there, lot less traffic and the air is cleaner...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
well idk if you want to go coast from coast but if you do then... NYC, L.A., Atlanta, Washington D.C. if your interested in seeing all the monuments and historical stuff, go to the gateway arch and go to the top, its amazing, ive never been but ive heard you can see the curvature of the earth O_O also go to orlando for the theme parks
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
U absolutely must go down Rt. 66. its got so much to see on it, most of which is rather odd. Definately get to California. Ive always wanted to go to that place, alot of the major cities seem to be amazing, like Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Hollywood, and Venice Beach. NYC has some great stuff there. Miami and Orlando, florida have so much to see. A bunch of money in Orlando is a must, as u would wanna go almost everywhere possible. Especially Disney and Universal/Islands of Adventure. The Hard Rock has some awesome stuff there. U should also hit Busch Gardens and Seaworld (maybe) in Tampa, Florida. Busch Gardens has some awesome roller coasters. i could give u so much stuff to do.
Viva Las Vegas...

And maybe take a trip south of the border to TJ? Get some cheap pharmacutecals...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Go to east Los Angeles.

Travelers can only stay for 6 months on travel visas, you need a different type of visa to stay here for that long. Not sure what type tho, go to the INS site
Quote by qotsa1998
U absolutely must go down Rt. 66. its got so much to see on it, most of which is rather odd. Definately get to California. Ive always wanted to go to that place, alot of the major cities seem to be amazing, like Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Hollywood, and Venice Beach. NYC has some great stuff there. Miami and Orlando, florida have so much to see. A bunch of money in Orlando is a must, as u would wanna go almost everywhere possible. Especially Disney and Universal/Islands of Adventure. The Hard Rock has some awesome stuff there. U should also hit Busch Gardens and Seaworld (maybe) in Tampa, Florida. Busch Gardens has some awesome roller coasters. i could give u so much stuff to do.

sea world is in orlando i would say go to sea world definitely the whale shows are amazing
Quote by LadyHellraiser
Come to new york and visit me

how bout you come down to georgia and visit me by lady
Visa waiver for up to ninety days, but any longer than that you need a visa. Doubt it'll be hard, unless you've got a criminal record.

Don't fly into Newark. It's not that I think you'll have a bad experience there, but more that I wish to encourage a boycott of it due to my long-lasting rage at spending two whole hours queuing at immigration even though there were only ten people in front of me. And I wasn't even entering the US - was just passing through on the way home after four and a half months in Central America. Aaaargh!
The best advice I can offer is that you skip Southern California. I live here and I can tell you right now it is ridiculously shitty here unless you can afford to spend as much on a pair of pants as you would to feed a small country. It's not even worth the money, either.

Try the Bay Area (San Francisco and whatnot) instead. It's also pretty damn pricey up there, but it's beautiful up there and the whole place just has a much better feel to it than the crappy ass desert that is the entirety of So-Cal. On top of that, So-Cal is loaded to bursting with the kind of loud, stupid, and pompous people that make foreigners leave this country thinking that Americans are empty-headed TV whores with their minds in their stomachs. The people completely ruin anything even remotely interesting here in Southern California.
Last edited by madbasslover at Oct 18, 2007,
Pittsburgh has an excellent science center. Carnegie Science center it is. Plus, you can come see the kick ass Steelers play, too.

Oh, and pay me a visit ;D
When the music's over, turn out the lights.

Quote by pencap
i fingerd my girl the other day she got so wet nearly my entier hand was soked after that i ate her up, she blacked out it was awesome
A nice idea for a road trip would be to go from Denver to LA. The scenery is absolutely amazing throughout Western Colorado and southern Utah, and you can also spend some time in Las Vegas.

I guess the East Coast is pretty cool too, but I've only been to DC.
Quote by Castlebravo
A nice idea for a road trip would be to go from Denver to LA. The scenery is absolutely amazing throughout Western Colorado and southern Utah, and you can also spend some time in Las Vegas.

I guess the East Coast is pretty cool too, but I've only been to DC.

The western United States in general is very beautiful. Its much more sparsely populated then the eastern seaboard and because of that much of the natural beauty is left unspoiled. But yea, Denver to LA or San Fransisco is a great idea and is a very diverse trip in terms of landscape.

Oh, btw, http://www.couchsurfing.com/ will be an invaluable resource to you if you want to do this on a sparse budget.
Quote by ZedLeppy
Pittsburgh has an excellent science center. Carnegie Science center it is. Plus, you can come see the kick ass Steelers play, too.

Oh, and pay me a visit ;D

Yeah, it is a really nice city.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Come visit Annapolis and we'll smoke a blunt.

I've always wanted to smoke a blunt with someone from another country.
I am the Infantry.
You won't be able to get a work visa unless you're working for Camp America or BUNAC or some similar pre-arranged work of that sort. You certainly won't be able to get a visa that will allow you to pick up jobs here and there.

Which means you'll need to be quite well-off to live for a year with no income.

I think you'd be better going somewhere a lot cheaper. You'll have a lot more fun.

Also, renting a car is going to kill your finances here. Not having a car will kill a lot of the fun.

Also, you need to get health insurance (it's a requirement to you entering the country).
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
weed laws are enforced strictly here. watch out

and stay out of the south unless its in a major city

Jack my swag
boston. you have to go there
follow your favorite bands on tour,catch some shows

see where you end up
SIGNATURES ARE FOR SQUARES.

....wait
Im surprised no one has mentioned New Orleans.

You defiently have to come down to New Orleans if your planning on visting the US for a while.
If you time it right, you could be down here for Mardi Gras. Lots of boos and boobs...

Aside from the party aspect of it, New Orleans has a decent bit of historical stuff too, so be sure to visit the French Quarter and all that jazz.

EDIT: Mardi Gras is somewhere around Feb. and March, it changes every year.
and just a warning, dont drive with your windows open while in new york city, especially in the summer. smells like shit.........

Jack my swag
Why don't you go somewhere that'll broaden your horizons, like Asia? Seriously, go to India / Nepal / Tibet: they're all amazing.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
If anything go to New York.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Quote by madbasslover
On top of that, So-Cal is loaded to bursting with the kind of loud, stupid, and pompous people that make foreigners leave this country thinking that Americans are empty-headed TV whores with their minds in their stomachs. The people completely ruin anything even remotely interesting here in Southern California.

a bit hypocritical considering most of the people here ARE foreigners.

and yes...the TV *****s are absurd, and have slandered this county in particular. however, you should still come to southern cali, even if just for a short time. nice beaches, disneyland, san diego, and hollywood.

knowing your interests would help us give you a little better advice.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
My advice is to find the best places, I mean you're with your mates in a van, what's the worst that could happen?

I just had a flick through some of the states on Wiki and it looks like there are cool places everywhere in America.
oh i don't think Hawaii has been mentioned. of course, that on its own is expensive, and would complicate the transportation issue, but it's beautiful there.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
I would, if I were you, first fly to Boston. After you're done exploring the home bases and stuff of the revolt against you (small joke), rent a car and go on a road trip. Go to New York City, and drive to Los Angeles. If you want you can stop in places like Kansas City, Denver, and Las Vegas. And then come back and go down to Atlanta, and then Orlando and live there. Should be good if you do that.
Listen to my songs, but only if you are prepared for the greatest experience of your life .
Page 1 of 2