I have a Marshall DSL100 head and a 4x12 cab that I need shipped from my house in MO to my apartment in CA but am completely stumped as to how I should package these items for safe transport. I've heard a lot of horror stories about 4x12's showing up damaged and would really prefer that I didn't have a similar experience.

Any of you guys who have shipped big equipment...what is the safest way to do so? Any suggestions on which carrier to use or how to package the shipment would be awesome...right now I'm stuck playing through a ****** Crate 15w practice amp and it makes me want to kill myself when I think about how good my Marshall sounds.
Theres no way you'd personally be able to move it?
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Dont use ups. Fedex. I got my amp head sent ups and it came broken in half! It looked like they dropped it off a 3 story building, completely collapsed.
you can give it to me...and ill come get it...

wait what kind of amp is it?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
For the head, take the tubes out and put them in bubble wrap, along with maybe a light bulb box. I would wrap the head in a garbage bag to keep the gallons of packing peanuts you're about to pour in from getting in it. Wrap it up, and load the box with peanuts. Until its almost over flowing. I would advise double boxing. For the cab, you're probably going to need a crate or something...
take every precaution you can. foam bracketts, packing peanuts, just go to a fedex store and they should be able to help you out. i'd worry more about the head than the cab. which is apparently what musicians friend did, since i received my cab but no head yet. you have no idea how demoralizing this is. and if it makes you feel any better, im stuck playing through a squire sp-10 the crappiest piece of fiberboard to ever reproduce a signal.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Thanks for the replies guys, but what a pain in my ass. Guess I'll have to wait till I fly home for Thanksgiving to pull the tubes out and get that thing shipped cuz I certainly don't trust my parents to do it.

I'm gonna need some pissed off boxes for that head, its heavy as hell.
I woudln't recommend packing peanuts at all. They tend to shift and let the object settle to the bottom of the box, which in the end defeats the purpose of even having them. If you must use something similar, wrap the head in a garbage bag after removing tubes and boxing seperate. Use tons of wadded up newspapers, possibly double box it as well.

When my roadking was shipped it came in a box with like custom foam lining. It seemd like a spray in foam or something of the sort.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I save all the huge bubble wrap I get in a big box. I've shipped out several heads using my own packing. I either pack the tubes seperate, or leave them in if it has good retainers. I wrap it up completely in bubble wrap, then I use some corrugated thick cardboard for the corners and edges. I make a box out of pieces of other big boxes, scoring it where I want to bend the cardboard with a box cutter, as it makes bending the cardboard much more managable and precise. I then mold the cardboard around the bubble wrap and corrugated corners. Then I repeat with another layer of cardboard.

I shipped a 4x12 this way too. Ugly as sin, but it arrived without issue, and I didn't have to pay a packing place a few hundred to crate it.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
That would require one hell of a boxcutter.

Clearly UPS proof.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
haha, and a lot of packing tape

I spent like $30 in supplies, and I still have a bunch of extra rolls of tape. I paid somewhere around $150 to have the UPS truck pick it up with a head I sent too. They wanted over $400 to crate it at the UPS ripoff store and ship it to the same place.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
haha, and a lot of packing tape

I spent like $30 in supplies, and I still have a bunch of extra rolls of tape. I paid somewhere around $150 to have the UPS truck pick it up with a head I sent too. They wanted over $400 to crate it at the UPS ripoff store and ship it to the same place.

Man, if you bought a decent 4x12 on ebay for like $500 and had to spend an extra $400 to ship it...I'd just buy a new one...

I don't really have any complaints with UPS, never done any damage to anything of mine. The boxes have been torn to hell and back, but the product has always been fine.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Man, if you bought a decent 4x12 on ebay for like $500 and had to spend an extra $400 to ship it...I'd just buy a new one...

I don't really have any complaints with UPS, never done any damage to anything of mine. The boxes have been torn to hell and back, but the product has always been fine.

yeah, that would have been ridiculous. I've also heard horror stories about UPS shipping, but luckily, nothing of mine has been damaged yet. I came close though, I had a guitar shipped to gpderek on here, and UPS mislabeled the zip code on an intercept. I had them change the street name, they misspelled it the first time taking a phone pickup/shipping option. When they corrected the street name, the agent accidentally copied the wrong zip code over. It volleyed back and forth between 2 UPS outlets for over a week "after" it was supposed to arrive. When Derek finally got the box, it was shredded like someone drove over it with a truck. Luckily I had bubble wrapped the hell out of it, so it escaped without damage, but that was close. I double box anything valuable I send out now.

I'll never use one of those UPS Stores again though. I guess they are all independently run, so they can charge whatever they want. They even inflate the regular shipping prices even if you aren't having them pack it. Plus, I've heard when there is a claim for shipping damages, they are much harder to deal with than going straight thru UPS. I think when they ship it, there is some liability on their part for the insurance, so they don't like paying it.
amp clips
amp vids
I'd suggest getting a courier to deliver it personally, a smaller company preferably as they can't afford damage to their reputation. So won't damage your package.
It may cost a bit more, but there's too many horror stories around to risk it I reckon.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Erock503
yeah, that would have been ridiculous. I've also heard horror stories about UPS shipping, but luckily, nothing of mine has been damaged yet. I came close though, I had a guitar shipped to gpderek on here, and UPS mislabeled the zip code on an intercept. I had them change the street name, they misspelled it the first time taking a phone pickup/shipping option. When they corrected the street name, the agent accidentally copied the wrong zip code over. It volleyed back and forth between 2 UPS outlets for over a week "after" it was supposed to arrive. When Derek finally got the box, it was shredded like someone drove over it with a truck. Luckily I had bubble wrapped the hell out of it, so it escaped without damage, but that was close. I double box anything valuable I send out now.

I'll never use one of those UPS Stores again though. I guess they are all independently run, so they can charge whatever they want. They even inflate the regular shipping prices even if you aren't having them pack it. Plus, I've heard when there is a claim for shipping damages, they are much harder to deal with than going straight thru UPS. I think when they ship it, there is some liability on their part for the insurance, so they don't like paying it.

Well, you can only expect so much from a company that deals with millions of packages sent daily, drivers who work long hours lifting heavy stuff.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio