So my friend's band is losing their bassist because he's moving, and my buddy asked me to take his spot. The problem is the fact that I play guitar. My friend thinks it would be an easy transition for me becasue I've only been playing guitar for about 2 years now, but I'm self-taught and I picked it up really quickly and I'm half-decent. So he thinks with a bit of work I could easily become just as good on bass. I love the idea and I'm willing to put a lot of work into it, but is it actually going to be a smooth transition? I'm supposed to meet the rest of the guys this weekend at one of their practices and try to pick up the bass there. I'm just wondering if some fellow UG-ers can provide some insight or some tips for me.

Also, is it acceptable to play bass with a pick or is that big bassist no-no?

Thanks guys!
it's sort of the opposite of guitar. a lot of guitarists start out playing with their fingers, then move on to a pick when they realize that it makes them suck. (not all bassists that use a pick suck, of course) a lot of guitarists that switch to bass start out using picks but then use their fingers when they get more advanced.
right, I'm gonna tell you the truth.

No matter how long you've been playing guitar, when you pick up that bass, you are playing a BASS. It requires completely different physical and musical skills.

Play however you want to. A pick is acceptable.

Just don't be one of those "oooh, I'm a guitarist, so bass will be easy."

And I'm not being an elitist bassist. I've played bass for 5 years and guitar for 3, so I did the reverse of what you're doing.
if you really wanna play bass, i say go for it, i was thinking about doing that myself, but i decided i prefered guitar
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Bass today seems sorta minimalist, as opposed to guitar, so if u do alot of crazy guitar stuff, and ur not playing in a funk/jazz band, you might be a little bored. Make sure u kno ur scales, and learn how to do walks/runs soon, as itll help in some songs.
Hey, thanks a lot guys. It sounds like this might be a bit of a challenege, but I'm up for it. I'm pretty excited actually. I figure I'm gonna treat the bass as a completely different instrument than the guitar and have a fresh start with it. Thanks again for the input and the tips. It's all greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Quote by Physh
Hey, thanks a lot guys. It sounds like this might be a bit of a challenege, but I'm up for it. I'm pretty excited actually. I figure I'm gonna treat the bass as a completely different instrument than the guitar and have a fresh start with it. Thanks again for the input and the tips. It's all greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I look forward to seeing you in the bass forum

Welcome to bass.
the only times ive played a bass ive been able to play it fine. Just rest your thumb on the pickup/string and fingerpick.
Before people go into how theres more to bass like slapping and popping etc, im betting this guys band doesn't do much more than your basic bass skills.

Playing bass with a pick? Ive never tried, you'd probably need a far thicker pick than you use for guitar though... and ive heard it gives a different sound to that of with your fingers.
Quote by StonaLemons
Playing bass with a pick? Ive never tried, you'd probably need a far thicker pick than you use for guitar though... and ive heard it gives a different sound to that of with your fingers.

Much different sound. The note rings out louder and has a rougher sound to it. I much prefer the sound when I play with my fingers. It has a much smoother sound and gives a lot more bass to the music. I kinda feel like using a pick to play bass cuts a lot of the bass out of the sound.