so i am considering starting bass (no musical experience just prefer the way it sounds.) My favorite bands are Brand New, Led Zeppelin, Say Anything, RHCP and The Smashing Pumpkins. i have narrowed my decision on what bass to get down to 4 choices...

Epiphone Embassy IV 4 String Bass

Dean Edge 1 Quilt Top Bass

Squier Standard Jazz Bass

Ibanez GRS200

(so any help is appreciated but please just suggest one of these 4 that will best fit my style of music)
Quote by Deliriumbassist
try them, buy which one you like best.

Simple.

And yet, it seems...so hard for people to comprehend.

My new ploy is that I am going to put a fiver away every time this type of question gets asked. I'll have a nice bit of cash to put towards an Urge II in no time.
Quote by anarkee

My new ploy is that I am going to put a fiver away every time this type of question gets asked. I'll have a nice bit of cash to put towards an Urge II in no time.

Noooooo, get a Roscoe Beck V instead.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Hmm, interesting idea. Maybe...I'll try it out as well and see if it suits me better than the Urge! If not, I'll get the Urge II.

Now, to everyone else, see how easy that is?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMDISCONTINUED!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Deliriumbassist
No f*cking way!?!?!?

I really wanted one of those Very playable basses.

Fender recently axed all Zone basses, all Dimension basses, the Roscoe Beck V, 5-string MIA Deluxe Precisions (my guess is they're going to phase out the entire line), QMT/FMT MIA Deluxe Jazzes, and I can't think of what else. But at least Victor Bailey has 5 signature basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^They also ripped the price of the J24 up about $400.

Really? Are you sure? I've not seen a price increase, and let's face it, nobody but Walter's Music charges list price. The 2 or 3 people who understand what I just said there may have appreciated it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Well, I'm fairly sure. The store I bought mine had last years Jazz 24 V for $867 and if I wanted to order in a new one it would have cost me $1250ish. They wouldn't raise their price for nothing, and there's probably a reason they didn't order any new ones in.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Well, I'm fairly sure. The store I bought mine had last years Jazz 24 V for $867 and if I wanted to order in a new one it would have cost me $1250ish. They wouldn't raise their price for nothing, and there's probably a reason they didn't order any new ones in.

Umm, last years? The Jazz Bass 24 V came out in January of this year. It's in the New for 2007 section of the Fender site. This is perplexing to me. There is no 'last year's model'.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Squier Jazz Bass for that stuff then get a Fender Jazz Bass later
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Aw, fuck. Here I was thinking I'd done my research and gotten a good deal. I never even thought to look at when it came out I just took the guys word for it.

Did he really do that? That's brutal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I'm not sure if he did it on purpose or he was just looking at the wrong thing. Either way, they're $800 of of MF and I paid $867 which is about right, when you don't buy off the internet and with the exchange rate.
Quote by anarkee

Don't do that...How will you pay your bills?

Anyway, look at the Squire VM Jazz
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
None of these basses is going to 'sound like this band' because there are too many factors to consider.

Look for something that is comfortable and you like, sooner or later you will grow an ear for tone and have an easier time finding something you like.

When I bought my first bass, I haven't even touched it in the shop untill I got home. I was too shy to try to play there, knowing that I don't even know how to play it. You can't really know what you want, untill you get some experience.
MIJ Precision 1988 / MIA Jazz 2005 -> Markbass CMD 102P -> Kustom 'Deep End' 115