So my guitar is really pissing me off. Every time I go to down tune, it ****ing doesn't stay in tune for seconds. Like I get it in tune and it's fine for weeks, but I try to bring it down to say DGCFAD, and I downtune the low E to D, use the fifth fret to downtune the A, and by the time I've got the A to G, the D is out of tune.

So not only is downtuning a 10 minute ordeal, my high E snaps from downtuning! Is that even possible!?

I'm not so much pissed at the snapped string ( which has happened twice already...), as I am that my ****ing guitar isn't easily tunable...

Help?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
what kinda bridge? and are you stringing it correctly?
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
First off, I'd like to clarify that most inanimate objects can not have problems with brain function. However, it does sound like you have a bit of an issue with your guitar. What kind of tuners do you have?
Current Rig:
Fender CS Eric Clapton Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Digitech Crossroads Pedal

In the stereo: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
When i change tunings like that, i mess with the springs in the back. It makes tuning down so much easier for me
The Conservative youth of America!
Id say to get a thicker string gauge, maybe 10s, just so u can switch tunings a bit easier. maybe replace the tuners if u can, and set up the intonation if u get thicker strings.
Your problem is probably that you are tuning down and not up.

When you tune you are always supposed to tune up, when you tune down to pitch, there's still a little slack left in the string, that then gets pulled out, and VOILA, you're out of tune again.

The solution is to just tune down further than you need to, then tune up to pitch, it should work much better. (if you don't believe me, look at ANY tuning guide)

As far as the high E breaking when you tune down, that almost certainly means you have a sharp saddle.

Edit:

For the love of god don't get new tuners, it is very unlikely they are broken.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Ive had similar probs.......throw it against the wall and go buy a bigger string gauge..prob snapping that string under that little string holder on the Fender headstock?.....everytime you "downtune"...your releasing the pressure on everything and getting it all out of whack....but hell if i know.....i play 7 string guitars with absolutely NO FLOATING BRIDGES and tune to a Drop A tuning...which i dont even know if that exists...lol...just take the top B string and tune down to A...AEADGBE....but hey i hope you get back to Ripping it up!...good luck bro!
Great tip Hamish. Does that work with standard tuning aswell, and if so, how much difference does it make to any tunning?

TS, You'd maybe want to get your guitar set up if it's new, or set up your bridge on your own.
Also, go for thicker gague of strings.
Take it behind the shed and shoot it
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Yeah, you're supposed to do it no matter how you're tuning, if your guitar is sharp, you shouldn't just tune down, you tune down too far, then back up to pitch, regardless of what tuning you're using.

Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by hippyskier
First off, I'd like to clarify that most inanimate objects can not have problems with brain function. However, it does sound like you have a bit of an issue with your guitar. What kind of tuners do you have?

Edit:
Quote by hamish5178
As far as the high E breaking when you tune down, that almost certainly means you have a sharp saddle.

Not really, if they are constantly re-tuning their guitar between two or more different tunings, the bend where the string goes into the tuning peg will eventually be bent back and forth, making that joint very weak. this is almost definitely what's happening if its breaking at the tuners.
Last edited by Zofar at Oct 18, 2007,
Quote by yurfinlfntsy
Take it behind the shed and shoot it

yeah we should shoot all "retarded" things rather then trying to understand them, could solve all the worlds problems, write a book, and then shoot yourself
Quote by livingontheedge
yeah we should shoot all "retarded" things rather then trying to understand them, could solve all the worlds problems, write a book, and then shoot yourself

Yeah I was kindof offeded by that as well. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

It's a Fender Standard HSS strat, stock everything, probably around 4 months old now...

I've got numerous guitars, so I could always keep them in different tunings, but I don't feel I should have to. I want to use my strat for multiple tunings.

It came with .9s on it, Fender Super Bullets. I replaced them with D'addrio .10s after a month or two.

HAmish, I'm not sure I understand your post, but it sounds important. Might I ask you to rephrase?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
^ after you tune you guitar, the last movement of the tuner should alway be increasing the pitch, it helps the strings become more stable.
I think I got it...I tuned down slowly and let it sit for a bit after each turn. They slowly inclined to the tension...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?