On facebook I am being made fun of by another guitarist because I am unable to sweep pick. It's really pissing me off, but I'm trying not to show it.

What do you guys think of this situation? Did I handle it well.. and do I have the right to be totally pissed off? haha

Heres the exchange:

Nicholas Charles Miller wrote
at 8:32pm
congratulations a cookie is on its way in the mail to you.

Tyler Bennetts (Grand Haven High School) wrote
at 8:31pm
but at least.. i can sweep

at 8:30pm
i dont need to lower myself down to your level to make myself feel better.

at 8:29pm
is that the best you got? seriously? im pretty sure Jerry can do better..

at 8:28pm
its a shame how you are a disgrace to guitar players.

at 6:53pm
its a shame. HAAAAA

at 6:07pm
yeah.. so?

at 3:58pm
HAH you cant sweep. 

(sorry its from bottom to top cause of facebook's wall to wall.
Get a broom and try harder then. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

On a side note, you'll get it eventually, just keep practising, and in the mean time, just tell him to prove he can and argue to the death over who's better.

Elitism is the basis of all good guitar practise.
Yeah cause sweep picking is where its at

Tell him to listen to some Gilmour.

Then tell him guitar is for everyone and each person has their own style.

Then tell him i hate him.
ZOMG!!!111 joo can't sweepzorz!?!?!

U R a dildos guitarist

just tell him to shut up and go listen to more dragonforce...
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
This can be considered a sweep. If you can't play this, you need to kill yourself.

e - - - 7 - 7 - - -
B - - 8 - - - 8 - -
G - 9 - - - - -9 -
D - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by rocknrollstar
Yeah cause sweep picking is where its at

Tell him to listen to some Gilmour.

Then tell him guitar is for everyone and each person has their own style.

Then tell him i hate him.

You can't just neglect an entire technique if you want to be a good guitarist, plenty of blues/acoustic/metal/folk/jazz guitarists use sweeping...

So yes, sweeping is where it's at, just like every other technique on guitar, you can't close yourself off from certain techniques. It's all guitar.

This is like a playground confrontation between two 5-year-olds, but instead of arguing incoherently about whose Pokemon deck is better (mine is actually the best, by the way), they're arguing about sweep picking..
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Quote by Sonicxlover
This can be considered a sweep. If you can't play this, you need to kill yourself.

e - - - 7 - 7 - - -
B - - 8 - - - 8 - -
G - 9 - - - - -9 -
D - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - -

I'm willing to guarantee that I cannot play that with proper sweeping form.

So **** you, asswipe.
Spiral Out
Quote by Sonicxlover

e - - - 7 - 7 - - -
B - - 8 - - - 8 - -
G - 9 - - - - -9 -
D - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - -

Depends how you play it, it could be alternate picked or economy picked as well...
Quote by Sonicxlover

e - - - 7 - 7 - - -
B - - 8 - - - 8 - -
G - 9 - - - - -9 -
D - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - -

I went to a sweep picking instructional after he said that and I can play that! haha

and I know it sounds like a playground confrontation... but the ****ing kid just out of the blue said this to me, and I don't think i've said more than 4 words to him before.

And I can do a lot better runs than he can
Quote by RageAgainst...
ZOMG!!!111 joo can't sweepzorz!?!?!

U R a dildos guitarist

just tell him to shut up and go listen to more dragonforce...

Hey, Dragonforce rocks
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I've never been tempted to try and learn how to "sweep pick". To me, alternating gives a better sound, but that just me. And I am referring to electric guitar.
Quote by Sonicxlover

e - - - 7 - 7 - - -
B - - 8 - - - 8 - -
G - 9 - - - - -9 -
D - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - -

Then goodbye cruel world! haha just kiddin. Its dumb how some guitarist think they're SOOO AWESOME because they can play all this metal sh*t. As long as you play with passion, you're a good guitarist IMO.
Um. He probably has nothing better to do. Ignore him? He's being a dumbass anyway.

Since I have a short fuse I'd probably sock the kid. But then again. Something like this wouldn't bother me.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Is sweeping important to you? If not, then it shouldn't matter.
There are millions of guitarists, some who can sweep, others who can't. It's all just preference.

When John Frusciante picked guitar back up in 1998 there was no way he could sweep, but he was still a beast and very amazing at writing music. You can't forget playing guitar isn't just about playing guitar and doing all these amazing tricks, but it's truly about making music.
If you want to be a great guitarist-musician you have to be a great guitarist, and becoming great focuses on honing all your technical skills.

I can't sweep, but my friend can but as far as we're both concerned he could never write the music I can, but we're just too different players, because I'll always be behind on the leads and riffs he plays.

Don't worry about it.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
You might as well just learn it, more knowledge for you and no more weak spot for him to criticize.
Spastic Ink
thats where some of the talent lies

its not in how fast you can play its in the belief

sure you see kids shredding on youtube but more often than less i see kids shredding and their just playing the notes without conviction or belief

The reason why you think playing no boundaries is awesome is because of how quick it is, but the real reason you like it is because of how much conviction goes into the notes that he plays..

So.. to conclude: **** that loser on facebook
Quote by Schmietty
You might as well just learn it, more knowledge for you and no more weak spot for him to criticize.

I just started. But I can't teach this to myself for some reason. I want to find a teacher to just teach me this and only this, cause I know the rest for the most part.
Quote by ShizNick
I just started. But I can't teach this to myself for some reason. I want to find a teacher to just teach me this and only this, cause I know the rest for the most part.

You'll get it, it takes time, I couldn't initially, nobody can when they first start, it was for me very hard to get the hang of, but if you stick in there you will get it man.
My friend calls me odd because I don't WANT to sweep.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I bet that kid just learned how to do a three string sweep pattern extremely half assed and started bragging about it.
jeez nick. my brother doesnt hurt ur feelings that much does he?
but something always comes from the music, anyway.
it came into my life, and it stole me blues away.

-Marc Roberge, O.A.R.
I can't sweep pick either...but I'm making steady enough progress with my guitar playing and as long as I keep improving I'm happy.
Quote by Raizer Sabre
this is the biggest pile of crap i've seen since that little bit in jurassic parkwhere you see dino crap everywhere...
Quote by ericbennetts
jeez nick. my brother doesnt hurt ur feelings that much does he?

I was pissed at the time. haha
Quote by ShizNick

stuff.

Just pull out some sweet blues licks.

You ARE a blues player right? They are the only ones who cant sweep... :P

guitar n00b.
Quote by ShizNick

It takes hours of practice, but once you've got it, it feels great.

I recommend the first 5 string sweep in Canon Rock. Take it REALLY slowly. Once you've got it pretty well known, you'll notice that a lot of sweeps in popular music have a similar shape to it, which helps a bunch.

That song (Canon Rock) is a great song in general for sweeps. Check out the guitar pro tab on this site.
So... You humoured an obvious troll?

Wouldn't the obvious solution just to be blocking him and deleting his comments? Is there some ego thing that means you have to try pwn him?

Or does facebook just suck and not let you block etc?
My sweep ability doesn't stretch too far beyond that 9-8-7 formation, but I make up for it by writing really cool melodic parts a la Brent Hinds, killer riffs like Peter Lindgren, and and really weird experimental classically-influenced tricks reminiscent of Robert Fripp. Anyone who can't appreciate that is either a massive tool or just not a fan of Progressive Rock.
Quote by John W
Just pull out some sweet blues licks.

You ARE a blues player right? They are the only ones who cant sweep... :P

guitar n00b.

Thats my excuse from now on...>_>
Quote by ep1kz
wtf? why didnt you punch one of them in the face or something? they're not girls, they are fat chavs, they are their own gender