My first year or so of guitar, I eas pretty hell bent on nailing songs note for note. More specifically, solos.

Lately though, I've become keen to leanring a song, and pretty much improvising/writing my own solo for it. Is this bad?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Irs actually really good. More melodic solos i think should be played the same way, like the solo in The Wall. but if its a crazy solo, where u cant really identify certain parts in ur head, like the solo in Ex's and Oh's (decent example), id improvise it, if u can improvise well.
^ +1. If you can tell that a lot of work went into the solo (Hotel California, for example) than I learn the solo. If it's a solo that is pretty basic (Paranoid, for example) than I just improvise. I definitely think it helps. It can help teach you to solo in different styles.
Alright cool. I like to pick certain licks from it I like and add it to my improv, is that bad?
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
Alright cool. I like to pick certain licks from it I like and add it to my improv, is that bad?

no, that's actually a very good thing. taking licks from different players and implementing them in your own way is how you make your own style of playing.
No that's good. You build your own style that way. Nice job.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Not a thing wrong with it at all, I do the same as most of the comments above, some songs like Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits) or wish You Were Here I try to duplicate or get as close as possible, Hold On Loosely or most ZZ Top stuff I improvise and often try to keep their most memorable parts close to the original, especially the first couple of bars of a solo or the song ending. Even more important to me is keeping to the same style of lead. You wouldn't want to do Sultans of Swing with a lead that sounds like it belongs in a Ted Nugent song...The most difficult for me is to do a lead that sounds like it just grew there...Comfortably Numb is one of the best examples I can think of, along with Stairway to Heaven and Sultans. They can't be changed as far as I'm concerned, every note has to be right there or it's just not the same song. Then there's songs like Cocaine, Jumpin Jack Flash, Ridin' the Storm Out, After Midnight - do what you want with them but in a couple of places it works best if the original lead in is still there. Sometimes I play slide instead of regular lead too, often it works, sometimes I end up saying OOPS!!
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Freebird is a perfect example of a song where its completely impractical to learn the entire solo. Learn the first 10 or so bars note for note, learn some of the more memorable riffs in the solo, then just improvise in G major for a half hour.