i have to come up with a theory and then write a paper about archetypes in lord of the rings and i'm completely lost.

i need:

- specific examples from the movie
- make sure to show understanding of the archetype usage

some example questions given that we could use to write our paper:

-Why does Tolkien utilize the archetypal quest hero?
-What does this usage add or detract form the story?
-Why is someone other than Frodo the quest hero and what is Tolkien trying to say with this choice?
-What do the specific characteristics that the quest hero exemplifies say about the overall theme, tone, purpose of the work?
-What is the true self-knowledge that the quest hero is trying to obtain and what does this reveal about the character, work, and/or the reader?
-What comparisons can be made to other literary quest heroes and why?

the only thing i can offer in return is a demonoid invite.

any ideas?
-Why does Tolkien utilize the archetypal quest hero?

Well, Tolkien wanted to make a new mythology for England, so he probably stuck to the classical signs of mythology and the Hero's Journey. The story has the hero, the trickster, the shapeshifter, the mentor, the herald, ect.

-What does this usage add or detract form the story?

It also makes it seem like an epic of old. Personally, I can't think of anything that it really detracts.

-Why is someone other than Frodo the quest hero and what is Tolkien trying to say with this choice?

It shows that deeds of great valour cannot be done by one alone. Frodo needs the help of the Fellowship to help him get to Mount Doom

-What do the specific characteristics that the quest hero exemplifies say about the overall theme, tone, purpose of the work?

I assume by the quest hero it means Aragorn? Well he's brave and selfles, as most heros are. Again it adds the epic qualities that Tolkien was kind of reconstructing.

-What is the true self-knowledge that the quest hero is trying to obtain and what does this reveal about the character, work, and/or the reader?

Aragorn is trying to return to the throne of Gondor. He knows that he is king and he must take this responsibility.

-What comparisons can be made to other literary quest heroes and why?

The characters show many of the traits of classical epic heros. They all go through deeds of great valour, are courageous, and just overall heroic.

I hope that helps you get started.

...I have quizzes every Friday on Lord Of The Rings...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Also, another thing to remember is that Gimli and Legolas work together, when it was usual for Dwarves and Elves to dislike each other in LotR lore. You could mention something about that, saying how in certain circumstances you may find yourself working and befriending someone you thought you may never associate yourself with.
lord Of The Rings Focking Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
Quote by GettintheLedout
kinda got your opinion fron your sig.

''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein