I have been playing guitar for 6 months. I guess I can play okay; I understand a lot of the technical stuff involved with playing, cause I been playing violin for...going on 6 years or somethin to that effect. But, I'd eventually like to be able to play the really fast stuff and cool solos, like Ray Toro from mcr. (Don't flame me for my music choices k I LIKE MCR!) Anyways, I was wondering what's most important to practice and how often. I don't have a ridiciuolous (bad spelling ) amount of time between school and taekwondo and working so's I can afford an electric. Is scales more important or learning songs or a combo maybe? I love the guitar, I dream of performing for people. I would love to play professionally, and I'm too stubborn to listen to people's put- downs. Anyways, help is appriciated. I'm gonna go practie now.
Last edited by tkdfighter at Oct 18, 2007,
It's defenately a combination. Don't think of it as somthing you have to slave over, 30 mins - 1 hour of practice a day is ideal. If you can only work in a little less, that's fine too, just so long as you do it once a day in any context.

As far as practicing goes, try searching for other threads on this site, but I find it best to mix it up. Spend a day practicing scales, chords, and other such fundamentals, then spend an alternate day learning/practicing songs, riffs, and just generally having fun. If you've played violin for 6 years, then you already understand that it's going to to be a process. If you find yourself getting too flustered, set the guitar down and take a rest for a minute. Listen to some guitar tracks you absolutely love and remind yourself why you want to get better.

As put-downs go, they aren't worth your time. If they're coming from a non-guitarist, then they don't know what they're talking about anyway. If they're coming from a guitarist, then they are probably self-concious about their own ability and want to make themselvs feel better by dragging you down. Either way, ignore it. Everyone starts somewhere, I don't care who it is. Steve Vai didn't write a song the first day he picked up a guitar.

That aside, there are also a lot of great practice suggestions in the lessons and colums section on this site.

I've said it a lot, but the best advice I can give is just play what you love, and love what you play. The rest will come in time
a combo. if u want a speedy Toro solo, learn You Know what they do to guys like us in prison. i like that solo alot. but do learn scales, especially the major and minor penatonic and the major scales. Practice as much as u can. u dont have alot of time, so practice whenever and whatever u can. IMO, Toro is a really good guitar player, especially for a guitarist playing music like that. seems like he finally started plaing like he did on the Bullets CD. Which makes things so much better for the band.
^ Like they said its a combination of both. Just analyze your playing and work on the things that you think could use some improving.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Guitar is like motocross. The most important thing in motocross is cornering, but if you don't hit the jumps or work on those technical sections, you just won't win. In guitar, you have to be a well-rounded player so practice scales, finger exercises for speed and agility, learn/play different songs you like, practice blues licks because they tend to have lots of bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, etc., and learn to understand theory.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Thanks peoples! This makes me feel better! Also I forgot to mention, I take guitar lessons. Do you think I should mention this to my teacher?
Yeah, it's probably worth mentioning, but I don't know that he'll tell you much different then we have. He'll probably say work on your fundamentals, don't get frustrated, be paitent, and have fun, not necessarily in that order. However he's been working with you more closely, so he'll have a little more insight then any of us will
Well since you've been playing violin for 6 years then I'm guessing you know how to read music. That's a huge advantage for you.