Well I've been playing guitar for 2 years and I'm self taught, I'm looking to improve my knowledge and playing technique to play more effieciently. I'm thinking about taking music theory and piano next year.

Do you think that would help any? Is there anything else that could help me further my musical knowledge?

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by MrDinkleberry
Well I've been playing guitar for 2 years and I'm self taught, I'm looking to improve my knowledge and playing technique to play more effieciently. I'm thinking about taking music theory and piano next year.

Do you think that would help any? Is there anything else that could help me further my musical knowledge?

As a matter of fact, there is. Press the back button on your browser twice. Then scroll the scroll wheel away from you about 3/4 of a turn. Then press the link that says "Musician Talk". Ok, now turn the scroll wheel towards you about 1/4 of a turn. You will see a link by the name of "Musical Theory FAQ". Click it. Ok, now comes the hard part: learn this thread inside out, backwards to frontwards, floor to roof, wall to wall, etc.

lol

Enjoy!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Furthering your musical knowledge is a different story than becoming a better guitar player, but it does tend to increase your interest and broadening your horizons, especially into other instruments tends to help improve as a musician overall.

Definitely try piano.

Go to the library and look up some books on music in general, theory, instruments ad their physical qualities, anything you can find. Some of it is really interesting. Learn other instruments as well as piano, try learning to read and write music. I always sucked at reading music, but I could figure the parts out note by note and then memorize them. I tried transposing at one time, wrote about 3/4 of a rock piece for school band (or similar, if it carried on into later years) but it got a half gallon of iced tea spilled on it and never got played. 3 or 4 months work became ink dribbles down 6 or 8 sheets of paper...Got in trouble for working on it in history class or some such, or for sneaking off to work on it and ignoring whatever was supposed to be done around the house...it was an odd obsession sometimes...

I still stumble across articles both online and in print that catch my interest, and sometimes spend several nights looking for specific info concerning something pertaining to instruments, tuning, musicians, recording, equipment, you name it. If it sounds interesting I'm knee deep in it in no time...I do the same with computer repair, astronomy, archaeology, antiques, amp and effects building and repair, guitar repair, camera repair, telescopes, and probably a couple of other things that don't come to mind at the moment. Collecting antique bottles to play slide with got me into trying to identify and date them, I never knew much about old bottles that most people have thrown away for 100 years till I started that, so it branches out into other areas too.

I can play rock, jazz, blues, country, 50's, R&B, cajun ( a little anyway) but never got interested in classical guitar for some reason. I play guitar, bass, sax, a little drums and keyboards, learning flute again, tinkered with mandolin till mine was rendered unplayable, and picked up everything in the school band room and learned to at least get through a major concert B flat scale on it, (C on tenor sax for instance, G on alto and baritone sax, B flat on flute) maybe even play a simple part for one of our songs on it. All of it just increased my musical knowledge overall, a lot of it helped improve my playing and my understanding of how musical pieces fit together and how the instruments interact.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...