I am making a guitar. The guitar has a bolt on neck. My question is, can I epoxy the neck in place and bolt it on? I dont plan on ever removing the neck, so this seems like a good idea and it would offer some advantages (slightly increased sustain, durablility, stability.)

any thoughts?
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Hmmm...you may not plan on removing the neck. Neither was I. Then my strap broke and shattered my neck. I'm just biased though. I don't see any problem.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I don't think the minimal amount of sustain you would gain would be worth the hassle if you ever had to remove the neck for any reason.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Randall RG50TC
Roland Micro-Cube
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
If anything you would lose sustain, durability, and stability by gluing a bolt on neck into the neck socket. its a really stupid idea. Set necks tend to recess inside the body, with a bolt on, only a small socket is needed, it would probably brake within a week.
Quote by Zofar
If anything you would lose sustain, durability, and stability by gluing a bolt on neck into the neck socket. its a really stupid idea. Set necks tend to recess inside the body, with a bolt on, only a small socket is needed, it would probably brake within a week.

that doesnt make any sense to me whatsoever. Your saying that it would make it weaker?
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
You wouldn't get a noticable improvement in sustain. A good bolt-on has very nearly and some cases more sustain than most set-necks. I don't think it would decrease sustain either, its just not necessary. Just make sure you get a good, tight and precise fit into the pocket.
There is another way in guns they use a system called glass bedding. Its like epoxy but use a release agent so you take the gun apart. You put it all together and let it harden the agent allows you to take it apart the first time. And after the epoxy hardens wont stick anymore. It would give the nice tight fit you want but still be able to take the neck off if you ever needed to.
I bought a used ESP guitar that the holes in the neck where it bolted on to the guitar were stripped out totally. I asked my repairman if I could have the neck glued in place. He advised against it. He told me to get a dowel made of the same wood drill the neck so the dowels fit glue those in and redrill and use the screws that came with it. I did what he said and the guitar was fine. When I built my first/latest guitar I was going to set the neck, again was told not to. Unless your going to build the guitar from scratch with a set neck it's not worth the trouble. I have guitars with set necks, neck thru and bolt ons they all have their different sounds but I like them all. The advantage of a bolt on is like stated earlier if anything goes wrong with the neck it's an easy R&R for cheap dough vs eplacing or repairing a set or neck thru can be expensive and it will almost always be a week point. IMHO there is nothing wrong with a bolt on neck. Fender has been selling for years and no one complains about thier bolt ons.

John
plus, you're making the guitar, so it;s not going to be perfect, what if you need to shim the neck in the pocket later.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011