Page 1 of 2
I was doing a business project on Mexico and I came across some of the ornate "Day of the Dead" skull designs. Incidentally, I was planning on stripping my Squier's finish when I put on the new pickguard I just got in the mail, and this gave me the idea of putting one of the day of the dead skulls on it as well. Here are some pictures of what I've got/done so far which isn't much at this point:

Wired pickguard from guitarfetish.

10 minutes or so of sanding the back

Planned skull design. I did a much better version for a school project which is currently at school (:P) I'll replace this with that soon.
I was look at several other reference skulls when designing it, including:

Just wondering: should I/How do i remove the bridge/trem for the sanding process. I didn't think it would be OK to just plain unscrew it since it's attached to those really tight springs in the back.

Also, regarding the skull design, I am VERY open to suggestions, criticisms, or even your own design if you have the time/care ^-^

Anyway, I'll try to update this thread as much as possible.

Thanks to Ippon for initial advice/encouragement
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
then do the bridge screws
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Please post a video of you playing bits of Voodoo Chile when it's finished.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Thanks for the advice guys. Here's a much better looking, imo, skull design.

Also I hope to have most of the back sanded off by the end of the weekend.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by Ippon
If I were you, I'd just scuff sand, as in remove the gloss. Also, I prefer

edit: Just read AlGee's post about scuff sanding in another thread. I know we have some 150 grit so I'm gonna use that. Also I think I'm gonna take your advice and try to do a stencil of that design since the angle and size would probably look better on a guitar anyway
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Last edited by *kas at Oct 19, 2007,
You need to use 80-100 grit to go over the glossy coat. This will ensure that the primer/sealer has a "rough" surface to adhere. Don't forget to wipe it down with a damp (not wet) rag. You don't want dust/debris before spraying.

Thinking about it now, that design looks pretty complicated for a straight mask and spray. Maybe you should continue looking for a better design, but easier to paint?

man ive always loved that kinda tattoo stuff on guitars, i think you should go with a more intricate design if your up for a challenge like the rainbow one you posted, thats awsome.
hmm ill have to do something like this one days its a great idea
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
I started scuffing with some 150 grit today. I've only done the flat part of the front and back, but how am I doing?

Do I need to do it more or am I good?

Also I definitely want to try stenciling the more complex one. I use to stencil a lot so I'm going to give it a shot and see how it comes out.

EDIT:
Here are a couple pics after a quick damp clothing

Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Last edited by *kas at Oct 19, 2007,
I did the priming today in my garage. I think it looks pretty good, which is more than I can say for my forearm and hand which is now covered in paint splotches :<

Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
looks good, make sure you get a smooth layer of primer, that is the most important thing,
and shield your guitar while you're at it too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by carousel182
looks good, make sure you get a smooth layer of primer, that is the most important thing,

Yeah, I'm gonna put on at least another coat before I do the background paint which I think I'm going to do off-white/arctic white. (Maybe something a little lighter than THIS )Should I sand it before I put on the real paint? If so what grit, and wet or no? Also what brands of paints do you use...I've been looking at Krylon and Dupli-Color but I'm not sure if I could find the duplicolor near me.

Quote by ECistheBest
and shield your guitar while you're at it too.

Aruuhhh??
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by *kas
Yeah, I'm gonna put on at least another coat before I do the background paint which I think I'm going to do off-white/arctic white. (Maybe something a little lighter than THIS )Should I sand it before I put on the real paint? If so what grit, and wet or no? Also what brands of paints do you use...I've been looking at Krylon and Dupli-Color but I'm not sure if I could find the duplicolor near me.

Aruuhhh??

Wetsand with high grit ...

Shielding to reduce hum.

Quote by *kas
Aruuhhh??

So the paint won't go into all the holes and you'll have an annoying time with a toothpick.

EDIT: Or at least that's what happened to me.
---------------
VOX AD30VT
BOSS GT8

Want to build a Jackson, to be fairly freaking honest.

Quote by Kanthras
Put some crap in the hole, like something sticky. And liquid-ish.
deviantART: Click Here
Quote by IndieLee
So the paint won't go into all the holes and you'll have an annoying time with a toothpick.

EDIT: Or at least that's what happened to me.

I think you have shielding and masking mixed up.
masking is when you cover an area so paint wont go there
Shielding is electric shielding to remove hum and reduce the chance of being shocked
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yeah, your link was the obvious choice anyway. Now what the hell was IndieLee talking about :P
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
I did the second layer of primer today. There are some tiny drops on the front which I'll definitely have to wetsand. Also I have to do a spray near the neck joint where the string covered it up.

Also, I came up with a more stencilable version of the original skull, though I'm not sure if I'm going to do the drips at the bottom.

What do you guys think?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Please post a video of you playing bits of Voodoo Chile when it's finished.

I don't believe Voodoo and Day of the Dead are related, excuse me if they are.

And I like the design, it's unique, I don't think I've ever seen anyone do this.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Glad you guys like the design, I'm stenciling it right now instead of doing my English HW :P I think I can get this new one into a 3 layer stencil. For tomorrow ideally:
-Prime area covered by twine
-Wetsand
-Spray Ivory Krylon over the base
-Finish stencil and show it tested on cardboard or something

Any objections or tips?
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
What colors did you have in mind for the body and skull? I suggest a black body with a gold skull.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I know my base color for the guitar is going to be an ivory, off-white kinda thing. I was thinking of doing a rainbow skull like in the design I based it off of, but it didn't look as good in a mockup I made in photoshop, so I'm definitely open to suggestions for the skull colour.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Go with more of a cream/parchement colour, like the colour old bones turn, and black lines.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Just did some quick mockups in Photoshop, can I get an unofficial poll/your opinions?

Rainbow
+3 votes

Black
+2

Navy

Orange

Red

Thanks guys.

edit: If you think it would look better with a different base color suggest one
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Last edited by *kas at Oct 22, 2007,
you gotta do the rainbow one
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Rainbow, but with the colour changing as you go towards the centre of the skull.

Maybe with a base colour something like this.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I really like that colour, Will. I sprayed the ivory onto cardboard and I think it does look a bit too light, so I'll probably go with that. I might upload pics of that, but I'll definitely redo the mockups with this new colour.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Here are the better mockups, done in the top favorite colors:

^At least that's what I think you meant ^_^

edit: I think Krylon almond would be perfect:

edit2: I also really like the black pickup covers and knobs...I could definitely paint the selector switch and the pickup covers, but I don't know about the knobs and the output jacks.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Last edited by *kas at Oct 22, 2007,
^Do the black skull, or another verision of the rainbow. Still, the black one would look better, IMO.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
Out of curiosity, what colour hardwar are you putting on the beast? Black hardware with a black skull would look sweet.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Page 1 of 2