I always have trouble strumming up. I hand always wants to strum down. Strumming up It just doesn't feel natural and fluent to me. How can I improve strumming up?
Try strumming up "naturally". Also don't TRY if you know what I mean. When I strum up it's usually just a natural feel my hand does on it's own. Kind of like how strong beats are on 1 and 3, on 2 I'll throw an up strum... Hope that makes sense.
It's funny how only guitarits seem to have this problem. Put a guitar into the hands of someone who has never played and most of the time they peform a natural down-up pattern without even thinking about it.
Quote by teegee420
It's funny how only guitarits seem to have this problem. Put a guitar into the hands of someone who has never played and most of the time they peform a natural down-up pattern without even thinking about it.

I think that's because they're just emulating what they see on tv. btw, I'm not a guitarist by any means.
Quote by guitarnoobie
I think that's because they're just emulating what they see on tv. btw, I'm not a guitarist by any means.

+1

Everything looks easy to see, but the trouble involved in it is known only when it is done seriously... Experience talking here...
Its just a practise thing, try slowing it down tho, keep going and you'll nail it eventually
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
when i first started learning to play the guitar someone told me not to think of strums as individual actions but to set your hand going as a pendulum and just let the strings catch the beats that you want. it may sound a bit silly but it helped me to learn to strum more fluently
Could This Be The Setting Of Our Sun?
Relax your strum arm a bit. Make the motion fluid as opposed to forced, you want your wrist to be a little limp (not flopping around, but not completely rigid either).

That aside, just practice rythemic strum patterns (One-uh-Two-uh-Three-uh-Four-etc). You'll get it down eventually