Anyone else seen it?

I thought it was fantastic. The singing, the acting, the art direction and cinematography... what a beautiful movie.

My one concern is that some of the songs were used in times when it didn't feel right...lke it wasn't what the song was trying to say...like I Want You during the Army Draft physical scene...but when it switched to Sadie and JoJo caressing up on eachother, it felt more natural.

For anyone who doesn't know what this is all about, Across the Universe is a musical movie set during the VietNam War in the US (and some bits in Liverpool) and follows 6 young adults in New York City finding solace, love, trouble, purpose, music, etc. in a 60s Greenwich Village bohemian community. All the songs in the soundtrack are Beatles songs (colloquially...some of the songs have individual writer credit). It's a musical, so the songs are sung on screen and are used to carry the plot.

Great movie.
I'm going to see this soon, hopefully.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
We got a private showing for our marching band....It was amazing and extremely trippy.....Tonight we sang Hey Jude on the bus on the way back from a football game...We sounded quite good actually...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Personally, I think it was the best movie I've seen in so long.

I saw it last friday, and the next day I bought the soundtrack.

It has not left my car since.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Yeah...i get paid tomorrow...I'm going to Best Buy and purchasing the full 31 track double album soundtrack.

I thought the way they used Let it Be was incredibly moving.
amazing movie. loved it. lucy was pretty hot...
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
Quote by usuckhugeonez
amazing movie. loved it. lucy was pretty hot...

I couldn't believe it was PG- 13 when you could see her ta- tas so clearly.

anyway, anyone else think the black dude's tone during why don't we do it in the road was freaking amazing? my ears almost creamed themselves.
My local theaters are JUST now shoing it. It just started here like a week ago, when it opened last month sometime.

I'm seeing it tomorrow with two friends and my mom. I'm REALLY looking forward to it.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
TS, you lost me at cinemawhatagraphy
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
I JUST got back from seeing it. Amazing, amazing movie with so much symbolism.
sounds wonderful....but i havent seen it yet maybe tommorow hopefully... any one find any good youtube clips of it?

You can never fucking trust Canada when Canada decides to report on world news that doesn't concern Canada. Canada is only in it for Canada's sake. Canada doesn't even know Batman.

Fuck Canada
Quote by thewho65
I'm afraid of seeing it I fear the trippy-ness will cause my brain to explode.

I seriously felt really spacey, almost like I was high for about a half hour after I saw it. it was bizarre, especially the part in the middle with Bono, who ruined that entire part of the movie for me.
As much as it was kinda shallow and chiched, I still loved it. I'd see it again if I had any money. The soundtrack is great too.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I thought it was great, but does anyone else agree that they should have sang "Yesterday" when Jude was either going back to Liverpool or back to the U.S? Considering the lyrics to the song, and what was going on in the movie, I think it would have went very well. It still kicked ass though, definetly worth seeing.
^That would've been great. Happiness Is A Warm Gun was certainly an odd choice for that segment.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
does this movie have bono in it? i thought i saw him singing "i am the walrus" in a commercial
Quote by Rebourne
What is this "Death Rock" you speak of?

Quote by revolutionplz
I will poop on your soul if you ever have the audacity to type those words towards me again.

Don't think I won't.
Quote by tai1221
does this movie have bono in it? i thought i saw him singing "i am the walrus" in a commercial

Yep thats definitely him
Quote by manyfingers
Yep thats definitely him

ok, i thought so
Quote by Rebourne
What is this "Death Rock" you speak of?

Quote by revolutionplz
I will poop on your soul if you ever have the audacity to type those words towards me again.

Don't think I won't.
I like how they had different people symbolize real people. JoJo=Hendrix. Sadie=Janis Joplin. Max=Kurt Cobain. Any others anyone knows?
SPACE FOR RENT
Quote by Rock'N'Soul
I like how they had different people symbolize real people. JoJo=Hendrix. Sadie=Janis Joplin. Max=Kurt Cobain. Any others anyone knows?

.....No.

Not dissing you, but why would there be a Cobain character in a movie set in the 60s and 70s?

Second, I read on the Wiki page that Max is named after the song "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", and more than likely either not directly based on anyone, or someone I can't recognize yet, since I haven't saw the movie.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by skeptopotamus

I thought the way they used Let it Be was incredibly moving.

I agree.

I loved this movie! All my friends thought it was "just okay," but I want to see it again.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by fallenangel20
.....No.

Not dissing you, but why would there be a Cobain character in a movie set in the 60s and 70s?

Second, I read on the Wiki page that Max is named after the song "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", and more than likely either not directly based on anyone, or someone I can't recognize yet, since I haven't saw the movie.

Well, that would make since I guess since the song. My friend just told me, and I thought the same thing, but like they look so much alike so I went along with it.
SPACE FOR RENT
I went today with my partner, I thought it was good but some parts felt like 'Okay we've talked for three minutes here's a random Beatles song'. I agree that 'Yesterday' should have been played when Jude went to Liverpool and whatnot, but Happiness Is A Warm Gun was the best choice for Max's army hospital thing. I also didn't like how I was all ready for an awesome Indian music/George Harrison-explosion when they all got off the bus with Dr. Robert. He something about transcendal something, I took it for the meditation the Fab Four did in the mid=60's and was expecting a 'Within You, Without You/The Inner Light' scene.

Just my two cents.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
OMG I just now noticed that. They really, really should have done Yesterday.
SPACE FOR RENT
I loved this movie, but I was actually disturbed a bit by the "Mr. Kite" scene. It was just too trippy and over the top for me.
Quote by Qazxs
I got kicked out of a Mac store when me and my friends simultaneously put on meatspin on all of the computers in the store. Some eleven or twelve year old looking girls there freaked out.
Quote by Sloopy
I went today with my partner, I thought it was good but some parts felt like 'Okay we've talked for three minutes here's a random Beatles song'. I agree that 'Yesterday' should have been played when Jude went to Liverpool and whatnot, but Happiness Is A Warm Gun was the best choice for Max's army hospital thing. I also didn't like how I was all ready for an awesome Indian music/George Harrison-explosion when they all got off the bus with Dr. Robert. He something about transcendal something, I took it for the meditation the Fab Four did in the mid=60's and was expecting a 'Within You, Without You/The Inner Light' scene.

Just my two cents.

Exactly. I would have liked to have heard Tomorrow Never Knows there actually.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
I liked it, but I just wish that they used some different songs.

Drive My Car
Srgt. Peppers
Ticket to Ride
I Saw Her Standing There

These songs would have been fun to watch if they adapted them, but I was very pleased that they put Revolution and I Am the Walrus in there. I'd see it again.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power