i have a ltd explorer style guitar. it has a 24.75 inch scale. right now i have it in standard tuning but i would like to move it to a permanent DGCFAD tuning. are the any sort of truss rod adjustments i will have to make or will a heavier gauge (.12-.54) string be enough to avoid any warping that may occur?
Quote by ElBarto2811
you can really egsagorate (how the hell do you write that word??) the motion.

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD
Ibanez RG220B w/Dimarzio Tone Zone & Air Norton
Fender Deluxe PowerHouse Strat

Amp:
Marshall MF350 half stack
1 step down won't hurt anything, if it does, I'm never buying an ESP. You could bump your gauge up to 10's maybe, but other than that, it should be fine.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
I think going to 12s is a bit excessive, especially if you want the big benefits of de-tuning like easier bends/vibrato and easier fretting. A gauge like .10-.52 should be fine for tone and still have a good feel.
I use DR 11-50's on my Ec-1000 and have never had any problems in D standard(DGCFAD), which is what its in right now. Also 24.75 scale
I have .10's on my Ibanez Prestige, tuned to D Standard. I see no reason why you'd need a heavier gauge unless you want to go even lower than that. As Weybl Himself said, .12's are a bit excessive, though don't rule them out if you prefer the tone. Personal preference and all.
Quote by Mud Martian
I have .10's on my Ibanez Prestige, tuned to D Standard. I see no reason why you'd need a heavier gauge unless you want to go even lower than that. As Weybl Himself said, .12's are a bit excessive, though don't rule them out if you prefer the tone. Personal preference and all.

Well, my Fender has a combination between 9s and 10s and it's tuned to c# standard. Granted, the strings are a bit slack, but it's still very playable.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Well, my Fender has a combination between 9s and 10s and it's tuned to c# standard. Granted, the strings are a bit slack, but it's still very playable.

Yeah, I wouldn't go that low without relying on higher gauge strings, myself. It's rather funny, in a way, because my Gibson SG has .11's and is tuned to Standard, and my Prestige has .10's and is tuned to D Standard, a whole step lower. I sometimes feel like it should be the other way around, but I'm quirky like that. As I said, it's all personal preference.
i have no question in what gauge of string i should use on my LTD. i use .11-.50 strings made by DR when i have it in standard. on my ibanez, which is tuned down to DGCFAD, i use .12-.54 by dean markley.
when i change the LTD to the dropped tuning, i will be using the .12-.54 set as well. my question is will putting on heavier strings be enough? or do i need to do additional work on it to avoid any sort of warping?
i ask this because i have heard from several people that changing string gauges or the tuning of the guitar may require adjustments, such as to the truss rod.
Quote by ElBarto2811
you can really egsagorate (how the hell do you write that word??) the motion.

guitars:
LTD EX-400BD
Ibanez RG220B w/Dimarzio Tone Zone & Air Norton
Fender Deluxe PowerHouse Strat

Amp:
Marshall MF350 half stack
Quote by misterspiffy
i have no question in what gauge of string i should use on my LTD. i use .11-.50 strings made by DR when i have it in standard. on my ibanez, which is tuned down to DGCFAD, i use .12-.54 by dean markley.
when i change the LTD to the dropped tuning, i will be using the .12-.54 set as well. my question is will putting on heavier strings be enough? or do i need to do additional work on it to avoid any sort of warping?
i ask this because i have heard from several people that changing string gauges or the tuning of the guitar may require adjustments, such as to the truss rod.

When you have it setup properly in standard and you increase the gauge, the tension on the neck increases, on the other hand your going to tune your new strings lower than the old ones, which reduces some tension again. Depending on how low you tune them, or how much bigger they are, the tension will be slightly greater or less than it was before.

This could affect the neck, but it doesn't have to. Depending on the guitar, some may need minor truss rod adjustment and some tweeking of the intonation, whilst others don't need anything.

Your best bet is to put them on, tune it and see how it goes.
Quote by FRDesign
WTH, I run 11's tuned to Eb on my Les Paul. 10's would be awful.

10's are great with standard E.

I like slim strings.

Also, keep in mind the Les Paul has a smaller scale length than your average Strat, resulting in the strings being slightly more slack than they would be in the same tuning on a Fender.