Page 1 of 2
Whats everyone's thoughts on college? I think it's great if you are into all that , but it's not for everyone why can't people fathom that thought? I personally am not going to college , or at least straight out of school. As you may ridicule me , I want to test my luck in the music biz. I mean , really I hate high school why on earth would I pay for torture! To me , it seems like this world has lost something , ambitions and dreams. Nobody dreams big anymore , no one wants to take risks , they want to go to college and have a "sure shot"...... thoughts?
College isn't like High School. Your freedom shoots up by about 1000%.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I'm in college. Pretty ladies come in droves.

Quote by darkstar2466

amen to both.

youre gonna miss out buddy.
Quote by darkstar2466

100% true.

I like college, it isn't too hard, you get more freedom, make more friends, learn new things, it is fun...at least for me. I just need to stop with my high school ways and learn how to do things "college" style hehe.

Edit: Pshh, there are LOTS of ladies, they are not kidding man
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
go to college
My stuff:
Gibson SG (for playability.......and looks)
Mexican Strat (for some reason i have two)
Hohner HW440G-TB Acoustic/Electric
Well, if that's what you want to do, good for you.

I, on the other hand, have wanted to be a coach all my life. I want to help kids, like my past coaches have helped me. In order for me to do that, I pretty much need to go to college. The classes suck, but not enough to just quit. This is something I want to do. And it has much more freedom than high school.
Seriously though, you can learn all sorts of useful stuff, like the proper way to roll a joint.
You need to go to college for the experience of great education, meeting new people, doing new things, and such. There's nothing wrong with your musical pursuits, but enjoying a full college experience at this age cannot be paralleled.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
if ur gonna go to college,go away to college. I stayed home and am going to community college and hate it,i save a ****load of money but an Associate's Degree limits you to like,substitute teaching retarded kids (cookie for whoever gets what movie thats from).... i don't regret not going to a 4-year school cause i still have no idea what i want to do and ill save like $80,000 , but it would have been a great experience
www.gameandsave.com

Good Deals:

-UG-Sumphead,Miggy01,Bostonrocks

-HC-sdresdre,XMahkaihX,Juan_M,mmcquain,teletaylor,frankiej
Also, I just remembered, even if you don't go for the education (I don't know why you wouldn't) you make connections. This is a BIG thing, the more people you get to know, the more connections you have in the future. Remember this man, it is VERY important to know people.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
yes,its not about what you know,its about who you know
www.gameandsave.com

Good Deals:

^ It's also very much about what you know. If you don't know sh*t, who you know won't matter that much.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
college is the best part of your life. everything else in life is just striving to try to mimic college life (minus the school. but really, it's not that bad) college is the best years of most peoples lives. like mine.
why cant you dream big if you go to college threadstarter. i am dreaming big and currently working on my masters degree. just because peoples dreams are different, i mean really how many people think i just want to earn the avg living and do something that is not fun for me. i want to do something fun and make some big bucks and whoever said it is all about connections well you are full of knowledge my man
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by The Virtuoso
Also, I just remembered, even if you don't go for the education (I don't know why you wouldn't) you make connections. This is a BIG thing, the more people you get to know, the more connections you have in the future. Remember this man, it is VERY important to know people.

I agree 110% , which is why I think like this. As someone said earlier he wants to be a coach , so he needs to go to college to pursue what interest him. As for me , its music , and music college is not me at all. I mean by being out there on the music scene , making demos , playing shows, I'll meet a lot of people. Hell I've had the honor of meeting some decently famous guys and I'm only 17.

Quote by thejester
why cant you dream big if you go to college threadstarter. i am dreaming big and currently working on my masters degree. just because peoples dreams are different, i mean really how many people think i just want to earn the avg living and do something that is not fun for me. i want to do something fun and make some big bucks and whoever said it is all about connections well you are full of knowledge my man

Oh no man I didn't mean that at all I'm sure you have your aspirations and I respect you for that. I just find it odd that when I say oh well I'm going to be a musician , and be out there doing my thing people dock me as where if i say Im studying to be a -insert job- its all good. Peoples dreams are different and thats what makes the world awesome!
Last edited by Nirvana_RATM2 at Oct 19, 2007,
If you set your aspirations high today, you get shot down all the worse.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
If you set your aspirations high today, you get shot down all the worse.

Hhaha in that case I should go to college OR be a musician? I should aim to be a low life? Whatever you put forth in life is what you get back.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Hhaha in that case I should go to college OR be a musician? I should aim to be a low life? Whatever you put forth in life is what you get back.

Hell yea. Some one has to push drugs.

C'mon now.

Do it.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

I didn't say that at all.

You should go for the safe option, which is college and put your damn music career on the slow lane. Face it, you're not going to make it.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
^^^

its not about winning it about showing up,you dont have to make it but atleast you can say u tried ur hardest and had a good god damn time....

you can go to college and progress in a music career anyway,i dont see why you couldnt do both,going to college will help u if anything
www.gameandsave.com

Good Deals:

College is not like high school in the least. You can't use that as an excuse for not going.

I don't think college is about the education in classes, more your growth as a person. If you want to be a musician, you're going to meet loads of people to collaborate with, you'll have an immense amount of inspiration. You're going to discover things about yourself. College is hardly about taking classes, that's just a reason for being there.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I didn't say that at all.

You should go for the safe option, which is college and put your damn music career on the slow lane. Face it, you're not going to make it.

a lil harsh wasnt it
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Yeah man, look at Brian May. He was going to Oxford (I believe it was) to get a degree in Astronomy but then Queen got big (the band Queen, in case you didn't know), so he went with Queen. He is now going back to finish that degree

Matt Heafy from Trivium (I know...) was going to community college in florida and he asked his parents if he should go with his band or stick to college because they were getting their foot in the doorway. His parents told him to go with his dreams and choose the band, and look how well that paid off.

You can do both threadstarter, I'm on the same journey as you. I'm just having some problems in my life right now, but I'll overcome them, I'm sure of it. I wish you luck.
Quote by Senor Kristian
No at all. Seriously, how many folks are trying to break into the industry? Tons, odds are against you.

Edit: Heafy should have stayed in college.
Quote by Aqua Dementia
No at all. Seriously, how many folks are trying to break into the industry? Tons, odds are against you.

So, odds are against you everyday? Does that stop people from trying. That quote, I believe it goes a little something like this, "You fail 100% of the shots you don't take", is beginning to make more and more sense the older I get...as well as a bunch of others hehe.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso
So, odds are against you everyday? Does that stop people from trying. That quote, I believe it goes a little something like this, "You fail 100% of the shots you don't take", is beginning to make more and more sense the older I get...as well as a bunch of others hehe.

Nope. I just don't really care what decision TS makes.
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Nope. I just don't really care what decision TS makes.

? Well, you obviously cared enough to respond to him ?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Why not go to college and get a degree to fall back on just in case, and meet some musicians along the way?
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Responding has nothing to with caring. C'mon now.

Okay, I'm sorry
Quote by Senor Kristian
Many big name musicians went to college for things other than music.... Thats how you meet musicians and people, nothing wrong with going for a musical job, it can just be nice to have a back up plan....
Quote by The Virtuoso
Yeah man, look at Brian May. He was going to Oxford (I believe it was) to get a degree in Astronomy but then Queen got big (the band Queen, in case you didn't know), so he went with Queen. He is now going back to finish that degree

Matt Heafy from Trivium (I know...) was going to community college in florida and he asked his parents if he should go with his band or stick to college because they were getting their foot in the doorway. His parents told him to go with his dreams and choose the band, and look how well that paid off.

You can do both threadstarter, I'm on the same journey as you. I'm just having some problems in my life right now, but I'll overcome them, I'm sure of it. I wish you luck.

Yea.... 2 out of .... god knows how many.

Matt Heafy.. pfft he was lucky.
Brian May... he was in a band with Freddie fu cking Mercury, and he himself... lets just say he's not exactly a bad guitarist. All of that, and they were lucky.

It's alright to "dream" sometimes, but don't be a total idiot please.
Music is fun, but being poor isn't fun.
I'm sure you tell yourself that you're alright with it, because "at least you get to play music". You only tell yourself that because you are living with your parents now.
Also, with the numerous amounts of BS inspirational stories about big famous and rich artists making it, a hell lot of kids (like you) are bound to think that it's easy to play music for a living. "Hard work" sounds ALOT easier than it really is, as stupid as that may sound.

But, that's just my advice to you.
It's your life, you choose to put yourself in whatever situation.
If I were you I would at least get something to fall back on first, at least some degree that isn't ... nothing at all, but that's just me.
^ University.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
College isn't for everyone but it's still very important if you want to find work that pays decently. If you're not sure about going, register at a community college and take a few classes and then decide what you want to do once you're there.

And don't listen to people that say college is the best part of your life. That might be true for some people but not for everyone. One of my high school teachers used to say the same thing about high school, and high school was probably the lowest point of my life so far.
:stickpoke
Have you ever considered going into college for something like an studio engineer or something like that. That would be awesome in my opinion hell im gonna do it myself if this computer crap doesnt work out.Ultimately the decision is yours but im saying college is a good idea personally. I have never in my life felt well more alive in a sense. There alot of people and you could make a lot of new friends. The more people you meet the more connections that you can have and i dont think anybody gets anywhere without connections. Best of luck with your decision. And just to mulitply whatever you have been saying unless your gay college is the best place to meet the sexy senorita's.
With fat friends there are no see-saws.. just catapults!
Page 1 of 2