Page 1 of 2
I just recently bought a Marshall MG250DFX.

When I first brought it home I plugged my guitar in from the front "Input" and played it. It worked fine.

I then decided to use my pod xt live pedal board and I plugged it in from the back from the "effects return mono" plug to the "Live out" plug from the pedal, and from the pedal board I plugged in my guitar and once again it sounded good.

Shortly after I decided to play around with the effects on the Marshall amp itself and as I plugged in the guitar into the front "Input" plug directly this time the amp did not make any noise in the Clean channel, I then tried the Overdrive channel and some sound did come out but it could barely be heard. After 20 minutes of messing around with the knobs, trying 3 different cables and 2 guitars I concluded it was the amp.

So just to test it out I plugged the effects pedal board again the same way I did earlier on the back of the amp. And as expected playing through the amp that way worked perfectly.

I then decided to give it one more shot and plugged the guitar without the effects board directly from the front input and oddly enough it then started working good again, I have no idea why.

Anyone got any advice? Should I bring it in for repairs?
no it is registering the pedal so it shuts off the front input jacks... its fine just keep the pod unplugged when you want the amp by its self!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
^ thanx
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
When I am plugging in the guitar directly to the amp the only thing plugged in the amp is the guitar from the Input jack. Yet it seems like its still thinking the pod is plugged in from the back...
did you shut it off first?
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
i wwould also say just ****ing run the pod through the input.. plug into the pod run the pod int the input and just take it out when you want to...
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
yes of course. I shut it off, unplug the FX loop plug it in from the input. I really hope you can solve this one with your genious I don'tfeel like sending a brand new amp in for warranty... = (
okay unplug eveything...shut it off.... then run the pedal through the front input jack! try that and let me know
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
well let it sit and try it again....um hold on i am going t go look at the specs on this.
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
**** you didn't unplug the speakes did you?
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
cause on the combo the speakers go right to the amp...in like guitar plugs.. it thats it then plug them in and it should work... oh and is the fan on yours buzzing?

i just read that they have a weak connectiion with the power input.. check that and makesure that the master volume is up!
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
lol no I didn't even touch those. And the manual, which I read before even turning on the amp said not to unplug them when turning the amp on.
just edited my post
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
ya volume is up, and speakers are plugged in. Its really weird though because when I hit the overdrive button on the amp when plugging it in from the input I can hear the speakers working at a very low volume even with the guitar and amp, gain knob volumes maxed out.
it might be faulty... was it a floor model?
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
just regular guitar cords no specific brand names on them. they both work fine
Last edited by jetpilot00 at Oct 19, 2007,
um, lol, thats the exact same symptoms of a crapped cord(s).

what cords do you have/using and how long have you had them?

edit:

okay you NEVER rely on no name cords, or chinese cords.
they crap out almost instantly.

go get a Monster Cable, and try it then.
if it's STILL not fixed, your speakers are probably done.
dude i would feel like a twat if you were right....
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
lol oops sorry I m getting tired, I meant... both of them work perfectly well. Ive had them for a month
so you've tried them on another amp....today right?
im not joking, no name cords can just suddenly go bad.
you can trust me, ive had 2 no name cords just randomly start to die.

just try a monster cable
the cables work fine when I use them both through the pedal, and worked fine when I plugged the guitar solely in the input. I don't see how its the cables though.
well do you have another amp? if you do plug into that one and see if that works if it doesn't then you know its the chords.. if it does then you know its the amp...
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
^ well no, his input/output jack(s) on the POD could be faulty, loose, etc.

so the problem is when they're plugged into the POD then to the amp?
i got that it works when its plugged in but not when its not going throught the pod... maybe the input on the amp is bad.. like the prong doesn't touch the guitar jack?
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
so the problem is when they're plugged into the POD then to the amp?

when I have 1 cable from the amp to the pod, another from pod to guitar it works perfectly fine. I highly doubt the cables are the issue since I also used my brothers cables earlier as well just to test this problem out.
then its the front input jack.... can you look at it? like take it apart? no...nvm don't do that,.... take it to a shop and ask them about the input
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
im telling you its the input.. it could be a bad solder job..or ny number of things but its your input.
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
okay im gonna take a whack at what i think is going on.

you plug your POD into the Effects Return MONO, and mono means one, so im assuming its
only going to register a single effects settings.
when you turn on the POD while the Marshall effects are on, it craps out.
and if you use just the Marshall, its fine.

shouldn't that be like...obviously concluded?
you can't run a pedal that completely modifies an amp's tone AND the amp's original
settings other then the obvious gain, tone, volumes.
the POD models other amps according to how you adjust it correct?
well you can't have this solid state Marshall here modelling say a JCM2000 and use the
original MG settings, that just seems like basic stuff right?

conclusion:
use other effects pedals if you're going to use POD

P.S. what effects from the amp were/are you trying to use?

edit:
don't EVER CALL a guitar store for your problems.
they'll only nail what your problem is....oh say 20% of the time.
and don't call Marshall, because they have no affiliation with Line 6.
take it into the store and have it looked at.
but don't go to guitar center, they're ****ing rip-offs who overcharge like hell
and are hardly helpful at all anyway.
Last edited by MrDURPEEDURP at Oct 19, 2007,
dude no...it works when the pod IS plugged in but not when the pod ISN'T plugged in... just give up its the input jack!!!!! im telling you i had to fix my peavey the same way!
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
thanks a lot for the help and the time I really appreciate it. I'll get the input fixed or get the amp replaced since I just bought it.
good update us on what the problem was!
Quote by spl3001

Quote by GiantRaven
Page 1 of 2