Hey guys,

I am a guitar player that has been playing for about 5 months now and I really dislike the sound of my seymour duncan tony iommi special hotrail that came in my Jackson Kevin Bond signature series guitar, so I plan on swapping the pick up out, the problem is I dont want to go active, and i only have a volume knob, no tone knob, and it will only be one pick up in the bridge, I was considering a DiMarzio Virtual PAF, or a DiMarzio Tone Zone, please guys let me know what you think.
do a full shred best passive you can get...it an sd by the way.
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
dude, what did you just say?

I am sorry but I did not understand one bit of that...
what amp ahve you got? .... it might be te amp you dislike th sound of
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Quote by GreenTuna
Hey guys,

I am a guitar player that has been playing for about 5 months now and I really dislike the sound of my seymour duncan tony iommi special hotrail that came in my Jackson Kevin Bond signature series guitar, so I plan on swapping the pick up out, the problem is I dont want to go active, and i only have a volume knob, no tone knob, and it will only be one pick up in the bridge, I was considering a DiMarzio Virtual PAF, or a DiMarzio Tone Zone, please guys let me know what you think.

Would you mind tidying up after youself, you appear do have dropped a load of names all over the place...

What kind of amp you got and what kind of tone do you want?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah dude, I'd guess it's your amp. Before going all out and buying new pickups, turn down the treble on your amp. If you don't have a tone knob, the tone probably gets pretty ear-shattering (not the good way) on distortion. I keep the treble at 4/10-5/10 at the most usually, unless you're using a rectified distortion, then treble is pretty good. For a warm, sweet, not harsh tone: treble down.
Hey guys its a Line 6 spider three I was planning on using a Laney LC15 in about a month of two, but right now its the spider, but regardless it still does not sound good on traynor tube amps either which is what i use at lessons, the pick up is very noisy and i would like a cleaner/warmer tone, creamy enough for blues, but still can play metal? Im asking alot here.. but they recommend the virtual paf on Dimarzios site, and listening to it, it sounds like an excellent pickup.
Get an amp first before switching pickups. 5 months is not a lot of time to develope an ear despite lessons (which are very good.) Playing an amp at lessons is not the same as having the amp at home where you can spend time with it and adjust the tone.
Well even playing on those traynor tubes which arnt horrible they are fairly nice I dont get that nice rich tone I should be, and because I have no tone knob pickups are going to be a problem, because i only need one pick up bridge position, its the only pickup slot, and i have a volume knob, has anyone ever though of having a two way volume switch basically a coil tap, but when you pull it up instead of controlling the volume it controls the tone knob?
The Spider is horrible, but in all honesty you shouldn't be looking at changing pickups so soon, you don't have a hope in hell's chance of making an informed choice...I don't think I could even tell the difference between single coils and humbuckers after 5 months, or even EQ an amp properly.

Seriously, save your money (unless you're getting a proper amp) and just concentrate on learning to play...chances are the poor sound is simply due to you not being very good yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
They make a concentric pot that has an inner knob and outer ring which can control 2 different things. I would think if Iommi puts his name on it might be pretty good. And yea some of the solid state stuff doesnt sound so good no matter what kinda pickup you have. I havent heard much thats good about spider 3s. The tone control on your guitar and a different amp might be the better way to go.