i am tryin to write a song and i have lrycs but i cant seem to write a melody to go behing them every thing i try sounds no good
any 1 got any tips on writing catchy melodys.. ?

thanks
Just play whatever seems right. But make sure the notes fit your vocal range and your lyrics, I've made that mistake many a time, as I have a very small vocal range. If your stuck on bits, just take a couple of notes from different melodies that you like.

EDIT: It's not that easy though, after you "played whatever seems right," it would be a good idea to find the key to your melody and the chords that sound good under it and maybe a way to modulise it into different modes and..... *trails off incoherantly*
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Oct 19, 2007,
Here's a suggestion, it won't work for everyone but perhaps you might want to try it.

If you're stuck on what notes to use, but you have lyrics, come up with the rhythms you'll sing. You should get the rhythms to fit the words; if you accent syllables that aren't normally accented or vice versa, you may not get the effect that you want.

So, you'll have a rhythm, but what if you're still stuck about the notes? Write out your lyrics and rhythm together, and then come up with a rough shapes for your phrases. Where do you want to go up, go down, hit a climax, etc.

After that, it's just a process of writing out notes and harmonies. This still requires work, but now you just need to concentrate on those two things, instead of trying to do rhythm, shape and notes all at once.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out