Greetings, brotheren and sisteren, I be in need of some helpage.

I've recently joined my favourite local band on bass duties, which I'm absolutely ecstatic about, seeing as I'm playing in my favourite (local) band on my favourite instrument!

However, my current bass, an OLP MM4, is in no condition for gigging, and I really want a 5'er... and my 18th is conveniently 6 weeks away!

So, on to the main point- I'm stuck between these two beauties:

I've tried the Peavey and I adore it, but I've heard very good things about the Squier. I've tried an ESP LTD and some Deans to compare to the Peavey, and the Peavey came out on top.

I play alternative hard rock, influences InMe, Muse, Brigade, Fightstar, and I'm playing through a Peavey MAX 115, which I am upgrading in the near future. I'm also open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance!
Ive also heard good things about the squier. With the luck ive head with my squier id give any other squier a chance. But having not played either of those I cant help you much lol. If you get the squier let me know how it plays because ive been looking into getting it.
So far it's been looking like the Squier's gonna win on talkbass, too!

Here's some pr0n of the Jazz:

i find 5 string jazz style basses don't work well with that low b.

The peavey is the way to go, 35" neck-through and a gorgeous finish
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Maybe have a look at Warwicks/ Rockbass, low-end Spectors, Schecters and Ibanez. I've heard great reviews of the Ibanez SR series so have a look at them.
signature
Quote by Aidy Damage
So far it's been looking like the Squier's gonna win on talkbass, too!

Here's some pr0n of the Jazz:

...That's beautiful....Squier!?
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219

I hope you like fingerboards that aren't wood. Ebonol fingerboards and basswood bodies? Hellooooo generic-ass tone!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Oct 19, 2007,
Quote by hatebreed219

Like finding out a hot chick has a dick, eh? .

Aidy, I really wouldnt go with a Squier for a 5'er, a Squier is a great beginner bass, but not more then this.
I would recommend you to look into some Shechters of Fender Jazz basses.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by thefitz
I hope you like fingerboards that aren't wood. Ebonol fingerboards and basswood bodies? Hellooooo generic-ass tone!

I don't love their tone, but for a cheap-o Squier, they don't sound terrible. Although for some reason, I always thought my first bass, a Hamer Slammer (for those who don't know, Slammer is to Hamer and Squier is to Fender) sounded better then the Squier fretless, and that was a DIY job. A very, very messy DIY job.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Comparing a Schecter to a NT Peavy is more realistic than comparing the Peavy with a Squier. Neck-thru body basses have a rather trademark feel to their tone - you might want to play one. I did - it felt nice, if a bit too wooden.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I've played the Peavey and I liked the growly throaty-ness it had. Was rather sexy, but how reliable are they?
Quote by Aidy Damage
I've played the Peavey and I liked the growly throaty-ness it had. Was rather sexy, but how reliable are they?

Very. I've never gigged with one, but a friend has, and he's said there's no point bringing a backup bass, which is good, because that means more booze in the car, lol.
I'm not sure I'll be needing the 5th string now, though- all of my band's songs are in standard.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The 4 string grind is about £50 cheaper than the fiver.

Oooo! Sextacular, Count Dracula!

****loads of stuff is in my reach now, mainly Schecters. Any experience with those?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I think I'm the only one on here that hasn't touched a schechter, lol

I've got extensive experience with their guitars, and I own one (C1 Hellraiser), and my guitarist has one (Devil Elite, I think), so their basses must be pretty good, too.

My guitarist swears by them!
Quote by Aidy Damage
Oooo! Sextacular, Count Dracula!

****loads of stuff is in my reach now, mainly Schecters. Any experience with those?

I've never played one (Not very easy to get around here), but I've been seriously considering buying one in the past, and made lots of research about them, including pming several users here that used them, and all of the guys that owned them gave them great reviews.
This is the specific one I've been looking at: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Elite4-Bass-Guitar?sku=513051
And based on other people's reviews, I recommend you to have a good look at this bass.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech