Hi, I've been playing guitar for about 8 months now, self taught. I have some trouble doing a few things.

*Palm muting (either sounds too muffled or not muffled enough. Hasn't got much of a chugging sound either)
*Pinch harmonics (don't seem to squeal that much)

My amp is one of the cheaper transtube amps by Peavey. It sounded good when I first got it, I must be developing an ear for tone, or I'm not playing right.

I would post recordings, but I don't know how...

So is it possible that my amp isn't really that good, or I just suck at guitar?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Its not your amp unless you've eq'd it badly.
Palm muting is something that you have to develop.
Pinch harmonics require you to hit the string harder than usual. Adding gain on the amp helps quite a bit
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Ok, I'm not really sure about the EQ thing

I do hit the string harder when I do pinch harmonics, I can hear a difference, but it isn't really what I am expecting to hear I guess.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
your amps not too bad from what i hear

palm muting.. work out where u put your palm and press down.. you can slide it to the bridge or closer in if you dont think its muffled enough

pinch harmonics
er... add some vibrato with your left hand, turn the gain all the way up, use the treble pickup.. use alot of treble... then when you get the hang out of it, lower the treble depending on ur style of music.. the vibrato makes it ring out
with the pinch harmonics, use alot of gain, hit the string harder, and theyre usually better with humbuckers, you'll need more distortion with single coils, and they still wont sound as good.
the palm muting, rest your hand on the bridge and strings at the same time, this will give the right amount of muting, but mess around with it.
Thanks for the help, the pinch harmonics are sounding a bit better, but I still can't get that chugging sound from palm muting. I really like the sound of the guitar in Welcome Home (Sanitarium) just after the second chorus when it starts getting heavier. That is the type of chugging I was hoping for.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

For good chugging you'll need to turn the bass up on the amp. For pinch harmonics max out the gain and mids, also use the bridge p'up...

I've not played a Transtube, but it may be that your amp has not enough gain to get real good heavy metal tones?
Practise palm-mutes and pinch harmonics unplugged. When you can nail them consistently without your amp you'll have no problem doing it with the amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Yeah, I normally play on full gain and treble, bass is normally around 8, mids I swap around all the time because people seem to have different opinions on them. That is similar to the heavy metal setting it has on the side of the box, but it has the mids at 2.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200