My friend has a virus on his computer and im trying to remove it. only problem is when i try to boot the computer up in safe mode, it kinda restarts the safe mode over and over. I havent the slightest clue why its doing that as i havent encountered that kinda problem. help is appreciated!
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
does it restart once you at the desktop, or while you loading through the bios?
Format the hard drive.

It's easier and faster than bothering to sort it out. May as well start from scratch.
i see. i figured the whole formatting the hard drive as a last ditch effort. only thing is he bought Norton (dumb move if you ask me) and doesn't want to lose his year subscription. So I'm trying to figure out a way that i can boot in safe mode.

and to the first replier. the whole thing is happening about 10 seconds after everything loads in safe mode. enough time to look but not enough to do anything.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Quote by Doppelgänger
Hmm sounds a lot like the blaster virus (or something like that =S) to me.

I had it once. It's very hard to get rid of without formatting.
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Format the hard drive.

It's easier and faster than bothering to sort it out. May as well start from scratch.

+1
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Quote by Guitarplaymetal
i see. i figured the whole formatting the hard drive as a last ditch effort. only thing is he bought Norton (dumb move if you ask me) and doesn't want to lose his year subscription. So I'm trying to figure out a way that i can boot in safe mode.

and to the first replier. the whole thing is happening about 10 seconds after everything loads in safe mode. enough time to look but not enough to do anything.

Well if it's any conciliation, you can just download Norton in like 10 minutes.
check if their is any files/hidden files in the startup programme directory, or even cmd:\msconfig
- start up - uncheck the applications which the person has recently installed, but becarful... otherthan that formatng the hdd is the way to go
First step would be to go into the Bios and disable restart on error or whatever its called. You get into the bios by hitting f8 during the very start of the booting up. Doign this will help you find out if its a error happening or if its a virus etc restarting the computer. If it is an error, copy the error code and google and you should find a way to figure it.
funny how someone with norton gets viruses yet I never get anything and use nothing. Maybe he shouldn't run a hog of program that he paid for. I'd say hed be getting more by formatting and never running norton again.
Quote by hoowahman
funny how someone with norton gets viruses yet I never get anything and use nothing. Maybe he shouldn't run a hog of program that he paid for. I'd say hed be getting more by formatting and never running norton again.

You realize that there are entire security organizations who plug computers with fresh Windows installs into the internet and track the "survival time" before the are infected? It's been as low as 8-12 minutes and I think is 2 hours right now. Basically, if you buy a computer and don't put any anti-virus on it before jumping on the net, you'll have 2 hours before your system is infected...guaranteed. You likely have viruses and spyware and don't even know it.
Quote by denizenz
You realize that there are entire security organizations who plug computers with fresh Windows installs into the internet and track the "survival time" before the are infected? It's been as low as 8-12 minutes and I think is 2 hours right now. Basically, if you buy a computer and don't put any anti-virus on it before jumping on the net, you'll have 2 hours before your system is infected...guaranteed. You likely have viruses and spyware and don't even know it.

Firewall, man, not anti-virus. In a way a Firewall is still anti-virus application, but each have respective connotations.

Ah, semantics.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
As Denizens said, it could likely be a hardware problem. Everytime something goes wrong with a computer, people cry "OMG VIRUS!!"

Is the computer in a well ventilated area? Did it experience any power outs or shortages?

My computer, telephones, and router got raped by a thunderstorm once. We couldn't even boot the damn computer. Had to replace the motherboard. Thank God for warranty.
Quote by Archaon
My computer, telephones, and router got raped by a thunderstorm once. We couldn't even boot the damn computer. Had to replace the motherboard. Thank God for warranty.

Surge protector.

Check if it's not hardware problem. I didn't read all responses but my pc kept restarting due to two problems - screwed up RAM memory (I couldn't even install new OS because he kept screwing up file allocation tables) and overheated (they look kinda poped on top) capacitors. I've never encoured a virus that could accually trash my PC.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
Quote by One Way Ticket
Two weeks ago, Yngwie Malmsteen walked up to me at a mall and gave me a bag of donuts. He told me "I don eat no focking donuts".
Quote by Smokey Amp
Firewall, man, not anti-virus. In a way a Firewall is still anti-virus application, but each have respective connotations.

Ah, semantics.

Not really. Unless you're firewall is packaged for gateway anti virus or even Intrusion Prevention (doubtful if it's residential grade) it's not going to do anything to protect against malware which you inadvertently drag in through port 80...just direct attacks from the outside.
Wel i have done some of the research last night and am just getting back to it. its a thing called a Zlob.trojan. I can get rid of it but every program is required to be run in safe mode, but like i said the safe mode is messed up.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Quote by Doppelgänger
Quote by denizenz
Not really. Unless you're firewall is packaged for gateway anti virus or even Intrusion Prevention (doubtful if it's residential grade) it's not going to do anything to protect against malware which you inadvertently drag in through port 80...just direct attacks from the outside.

Well, Malware isn't a vrius, it's just, well, Malware... Ad-aware can sort that out.

Firewalls prevent you from being hacked, so they're definitely needed.

Firewall + E-sense are all you need to stay safe online.

Of course, if you're stupid enough to download 4kb .wav files, then you probably should invest in a anti-virus suite.