and thought, hmm, lets ask the bass forum on UG

is this any good?

im looking for a cheap bass to screw around on. ive been guitaring for a year and know a good share of theory, but i know **** about basses. so would that be a good bass to start on? im only gona use it at school during band and the occasional jam at lunch/at friends houses

i play metal and modern rock and at school id be doing some real soft/easy crap, like "Land of the Silver Birch" and "Oh, Canada",then again, tone isnt really an issue but thought that'd be helpful.

should i go for it?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
*looks at thread.....*

*Bumps*
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Don't bump after 26 minutes. It makes people less inclined to help. It's rude.

Secondly, I personally wouldn't start on a 5 string. And as I keep saying, don't think that because you've played guitar before will make it easy.

And also, TRY IT OUT YOURSELF. I can't stress this enough. What may be comfortable for one person will not be for another.
I have no experience with 5 string basses or ESPs so i cant help tere. Id suggest (as i always do and always will) checking out the ibanez gsr-200 and other basses in the gsr (aka soundgear) series. ive got one and its served me very well over the last year and a half. Its a good all rounder and is quite easy to play slap bass on.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
It's pretty much law that you should try out basses yourself, because quality is completely subjective - I love the feel of my Precision, but other people who have played it have said they thought the neck was too slim, or the action was too low. Go out and play some yourself!

Now, just because you need to play them yourself, doesn't mean we can't point you in the right sort of direction in terms of what to look at and what to avoid. From my personal experience, the low-end LTD's are generally pretty poor quality. They purely play on the ESP brand name. You could argue this is the same for a million and one other companies, but the difference is that brands like Squier actually provide a decent level of quality to justify the price tag. I would personally check out the following brands:

Squier
Yamaha [Particularly the RBX-374/5's - they're fantastic basses]
Ibanez [but not the very bottom models]

As said above, I wouldn't start on a five string unless you are absolutely positive that you will need the low B.

Hope that helps...
get like a squier p bass
or a cheap dean
they run 100-150
or do the easy way
go on ebay =D
its all about head presence and stage bangin'<br>
[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/hitandrun183/logo.jpg[/IMG]
I am one for the "start on a 4 string" party, myself. Having gone from guitar to bass, it personally made a better transition from a mindset perspective.

And my advice is take a few hours some day, go down to your local shop and start trying basses in your price range. (sigh). Its a fun constructive way to spend an afternoon, and I guarantee at some point you will pick up a bass that will feel like a natural extension of your body and it will call out to you to purchase it.
i started on a dean 5-string and it was really no problem at all. Until I really learned how to use it the low B string was kind of a thumb rest and also it makes playing the E string feel like playing any other string as in that after your finger plucks the string it hits a string below it regulating the amount of effort spent on each note......But that's how i feels about it. Make sure that you at least try a 5 string of any kind before getting one to make sure the thicker/wider neck is comfortable for you.

Also i'd go with either a dean(one of the edge series ones), a yamaha like stated above, or an ibanez. Also, if you see a squier vintage modified series check it out because i've heard really good things.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
For fooling around, you'd probably want to go for one of the Yamaha RBX or Ibanez GSR models.

A Fender Squire can sometimes sound nice too.
MIJ Precision 1988 / MIA Jazz 2005 -> Markbass CMD 102P -> Kustom 'Deep End' 115
Quote by Phillitalian
k so noone seems to like the 5-string

how bout this, ive tried it out n it seems okay

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-BadtzMaru-Bronco-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=512074

Please...

NO!

Seriously now...

That is a special edition of the Squier Bronco - the Bronco is the lowest of the low in terms of Squier's product line - you're paying purely for the look [custom pickguard etc.]

I can guarantee that you would outgrow it within six months of playing.
HAvve to say i started on a 5 string and i still love it. While i would like a 4 string for slap the 5 string is still good.

HAs anyone else noticed 5 string basses are hard to slap on?
hmm, the Badtz-Maru bronco seems like crap now that ive read other reviews,

i havent tried this out yet but i saw it at a local guitar shop for about $250, i might go check it out today

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-J-Bass?sku=519631

thoughts?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian

i havent tried this out yet but i saw it at a local guitar shop for about $250, i might go check it out today

thoughts?

Much more like it.

The Affinity Jazz's are great starter basses, a lot of tonal options, and a slim neck.

Go for it!
Quote by Phillitalian

thoughts?

I have one and would gladly recommend it for a starter bass.

Also, have you considerd that you will need a bass amp, as a bass will sound terrible and slowly destroy a guitar amp? (sorry if you have one sorted, we get far too many people thinking bass will sound fine on a guitar amp.)
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I have one and would gladly recommend it for a starter bass.

Also, have you considerd that you will need a bass amp, as a bass will sound terrible and slowly destroy a guitar amp? (sorry if you have one sorted, we get far too many people thinking bass will sound fine on a guitar amp.)

lol thats why im usin my friends guitar amp

i could prolly swindle one for cheap considering that a guy i know at a pawnshop was trying to gimme a beringer 20 watt amp for $60
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian

i could prolly swindle one for cheap considering that a guy i know at a pawnshop was trying to gimme a beringer 20 watt amp for $60

You'd be getting ripped of.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1