Page 1 of 2
I`m not sure yet BUT.....

HEARTBREAK, my 2 month old Fender Strat has this God awful rattle, it sure isn`t frett buzz, and i`m thinking the only thing it could be is a broken truss. AARRRRGGHH!

I NEVER banged or dropped my beaut Strat, & it was perfect when i got it, BUT HERES THE BAD **** - I didn`t buy off a Fender dealer & now i`m ****ting myself & fearing the WORST!!!!!

I`m taking it to my local music shop tommorow to see what they think.

Any thoughts or experience out there????
Quote by George Harrison
I can`t put more than 4 notes together in a run
it could be the little nuts around the tuners.

see if they move when you touch them
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
it could be the little nuts around the tuners.

see if they move when you touch them

Thanks man, they don`t seem to be loose.

All this did occur after i changed string last night though - i didnt do them 1 at a time - just took the lot off then put the newies on, & can`t get rid of that rattle!
I`m no expert but when i tap the back of the neck with my nuckles theres some sort of rattle there too!

Like i said, i`m fearing the worst - my wife is telling me to calm down, but she doesnt truly understand the situation....
Quote by George Harrison
If it was your truss rod your neck should be bowing/warping horribly now.
If that is not the case it's something else, maybe a loose wire in the electronics?
Your tuning trees could be loose and rattling.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by davey1272250
Thanks man, they don`t seem to be loose.

All this did occur after i changed string last night though - i didnt do them 1 at a time - just took the lot off then put the newies on, & can`t get rid of that rattle!
I`m no expert but when i tap the back of the neck with my nuckles theres some sort of rattle there too!

Like i said, i`m fearing the worst - my wife is telling me to calm down, but she doesnt truly understand the situation....

its probably not the guitar some strings need more clearence than others
also check your bridge that could be your problem
i change all the strings at once on my bass and have no problems
The neck & action is fine.

I wish i could describe the `rattle/buzz` it seems especially bad on the open G string & especially when played strummed! i.e. when 2 or more strings are played not just the the G.

OK i`m pouring me heart out now - i`m really HOPING this is a minor issue, easily fixed.... oh well its only money & the guitar that i fell in love with.....

AARRRRGGGHHH!
Quote by George Harrison
Davey it doesn't matter if they are an official Fender dealer or not. If you haven't mistreated it and it has broke within 3 months it is not fit for the purpose intended under the sales of goods act and they have to sort it, calm down mate!

I used to get an awful rattle from a bridge once because the spring tension in the back cavity wasn't high enough and when I stretched a string or strummed hard the bridge would vibrate against the trem block...

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
if you really want it fixed and have no idea what's wrong, take it to a guitar tech, pay him 75 bucks to completely and thorououghly set it up, he should guarantee his work, and in the end your guitar will play even better
Quote by davey1272250
The neck & action is fine.

I wish i could describe the `rattle/buzz` it seems especially bad on the open G string & especially when played strummed! i.e. when 2 or more strings are played not just the the G.

OK i`m pouring me heart out now - i`m really HOPING this is a minor issue, easily fixed.... oh well its only money & the guitar that i fell in love with.....

AARRRRGGGHHH!

Seriously, if your truss rod was broken your guitar wouldn't be playable at all right now. Most likely, your action simply isn't properly set up. It might be a good idea to just gives a few pics of the neck/bridge.
I`ll try to be calm...

1 - because i`m a middle aged man

2 - because i don`t know for sure the truss is broken

3 - because i`ve been drinking heavily since this happened

4 - because my local luthier (NSW, Australia) has gone on holiday until next Friday

5 - because you guys keep coming up with other possible causes...

Cheers, & thank you!
Quote by George Harrison
is the bridge level?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Chad11491
if you really want it fixed and have no idea what's wrong, take it to a guitar tech, pay him 75 bucks to completely and thorououghly set it up, he should guarantee his work, and in the end your guitar will play even better

exactly, easier, and more reliable, and less stressful that assuming the worst, trying to fix it, and screwing it up worse.
Can anyone quickly test their own Strats? Does the neck make a `slight` metalic rattle when rapped on the back by your nuckles?

Serious question, this is whats worrying me the most.
Quote by George Harrison
yeah i mean, why learn how to set up your guitar, when you can just pay a guy $75 to do it for you. /sarcasm
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
yeah i mean, why learn how to set up your guitar, when you can just pay a guy $75 to do it for you. /sarcasm

because there could be somehting seriously wrong.
Quote by fretsonfire74
tuning trees?

Or string trees, whatever you wanna call those things.

The spacer can rattle around if the screw holding the two pieces down gets a little loose.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by fretsonfire74
because there could be somehting seriously wrong.

i hate to break it to you. but the only way he broke his neck is if he adjusted it while he was drunk.
and even then, it's a new neck not something that a $75 set up will cure.

more than likely, a spring in the trem cavity is rattling.

i mean, he said he wasnt a kid. shake the damn guitar, touch parts, until the rattle stops.

what do you think the tech is going to do?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565

+1, people on here, whatever the issue wit somones guitar say take it to a tech and pay the moeny. It can be something like this TS problem or something as simple as changing the strings, I always read it, take it to a tech and pay money.

That is a bollox suggestion IMO. I always have a go on my guitar at doing things, if it is not right and I have a go and fix it, then I have learnt how to do something and will improve at doing it with future repetition and I saved money. If I get it wrong the guitar is still not right, (like it was before I touched it) and I can then resort to a gutar tech.

MAybe I'm being harsh in that some people are not hands on in that way and don't want to risk damaging their pride and joy but really you can't damage your guitar that bad with simple work on it.

I might get flamed and someone will say what if you snap the neck or some rubbish like that, then it will cost me. But to be fair with all the good instruction out there on the net and UG you shouldn't get it wrong, and if I do then all the times I've saved money by not taking it to a tech to lower the action I will use some of that to correct it.

Why guaruntee losing money by paying a tech, when you could try doing it yourself learn how to fix it and not spend the money, if you fail you spend the money, but at least you have tried to avoid the costs.

However, in this instance I would suggest the guy takes it back to the shop and asks them to fix it free of charge, seriously.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
Quote by davey1272250
Can anyone quickly test their own Strats? Does the neck make a `slight` metalic rattle when rapped on the back by your nuckles?

Serious question, this is whats worrying me the most.

sometimes after a string change, a spring will move in the trem cavity.

flip the guitar over, take off that cover, move the guitar and see if the springs are rattling.
if they are, add cotton to the inside of the spring.

you need to make sure ur bridge is level.

next time swap one string at a time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 19, 2007,
i don't mind taking mine to the local tech because i watch him while he does it and i learn what he's doing, lol...

but yeah, if you're neck REALLY is broken (which most likely it's not) it's about a 250 buck fix, not that bad, but check your trem cavity like someone's said, make sure nothing's loose, make sure the bridge is properly set up (next time change strings one at a time) and if you changed string guages you may need to use the truss rod to adjust the neck for the new string guage, is it an american strat??? (asking because of the trem)
I changes strings on my Schecter Hot Rod 39 to a much, much lighter gauge than the kid I bought it from used and I had to get the truss rod adjusted because I noticed a strange sound like a rattle. The reapair man told me that because of the heavy strings the kid I got it from used he must of had to have the truss rod adjusted for the tension of those strings and because I went to a set of 9s the tension just wasn't there. My guy set up the guitar for my strings and what a big difference over those heavy strings. I think the kid used 25s they felt like bass strings to me I used to use 8s but went up to a 9s because they are more common and I buy my strings in bulk when the big guiatar stores have sale on ten packs they never have 8s.

I hope it's just a minor problem let us know.

John
Thanks fellas, am far too drunk at the moment to start taking things to pieces but the trem cavity sounds interesting, & i appreciate the reassurance regarding the playability of the neck - for instance i can still play this neck fine with great action except for this goddamn rattle - maybe my truss is OK, i may not know for sure until tommorow (australia) when i take it to the shop, i foolishly thought when i paid ****loads for a Strat i wouldnt have to worry about stuff like this - i`ve never had an issue like this with my 17 yr old Samick LP copy - although my Samick sounds like mud compared to the Fender......... AAARRRGGGHHH!

Cheers fellas, thanks for the replies and advice, sincerely.
Quote by George Harrison
I think the only solution at this point is to take an ax to it. Sorry.

Or, you could check out the Fender owner's manual (available on their website) which tells you exactly how to set up your guitar. And of course you should do what jj1565 suggests, although I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes because she didn't use a picture to illustrate her point
Hi, I'm Peter
I have the same problem with my epi les paul. When I looked closely, it was the tuning pegs. To find out, Strike your strings to start the rattle, then lightly touch each tuning peg with your finger to see which one is making the noise.
You know how sometimes you get the feeling that nobody's really listening?

Yeah, welcome to the internet.
Geez, all these posts and nobody's suggested the obvious.... Try adjusting the truss rod and see if it's broken or not. You can take off all the strings. I do it everytime I change mine.

I doubt you broke the truss rod if you have no recollection of adjusting it. And I doubt you adjusted it because you don't even mention putting a wrench it. I adjust mine all the time. I have various guitars and if I'm changing string size or trying to get the action lower, I'll tweak the rod every now and then. It's not rocket science. I think you have other issues.
The truss rod helps protect the neck against hundreds of pounds of tension.

You'd have to *want* to break your truss rod to break it .

Are your strings rattling in the nut?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by fly135
Geez, all these posts and nobody's suggested the obvious.... Try adjusting the truss rod and see if it's broken or not. You can take off all the strings. I do it everytime I change mine.

the guy is drunk. maybe he shouldnt be adjusting his truss rod right now,
for all we know he's been holding his toater up to his ear, this whole time.

or driving to a shop, for that matter. ^^

i suggest he go to bed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 19, 2007,
you described a metal rattle so either when you knock the neck the strings are rattling on the nut, or a fret, or the bridge, or the springs i8n the back are rattling.

the truss rod is a length of metal, eve if it did snap (which it evidently hasn't) it wouldn't rattle.

with strings on your neck it would be snapped in half had the truss rod broke. also, the fact it's a steel rod, it isn't going to snap full stop, you;d need to bend it 180 degrees in the middle then 360 in the other way to simply weaken the thing
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Yeah truss rods don't break often unless they are defective. Usually someone who gets carried away twists it too much and strips the threads. I would try turning it to see if the rod just got loose from the neck shifting, but DON'T **** WITH IT WHILE DRUNK!!!!!
Quote by jj1565

i suggest he go to bed.

Did that ^

Heres a sober update...

Strat making buzz noise intermittently this morning, so i took to local shop who had a quick look, assured me truss is not broken BUT the neck rattle is not normal & the fella said the rod is loose, he`s adjusted it and now neck sounds solid & buzz has gone BUT heres the rub.... He also said the Strat is a "dud" and that the truss will work its way loose again, which i don`t really understand - as its a busy Saturday morning here (+he didn`t charge me) we left it at that.

I`m home again now playing, and all feels right, but my concerns haven`t dissapeared in the light of what this dude said. I have no warranty on this Fender which makes me feel foolish trying to save a buck by not buying through a dealer, but i never envisiaged a problem that wouldn`t be simple.

My trustworthy luthier is returning next week so i might have a big chat about all this then.

Much appreciate all the advice and help from UGers! & If anyone else has dealt with truss issues keep posting pls...
:clap:
Quote by George Harrison
Oh, that was nice of him not to charge you. And I've never heard of a truss rod that'll work it's way loose; there's a possibility that it's just the TR washer rattling or something.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
if you get in touch with fender and explain the issues to them they should do something about it.

they'll be able to date the guitar by the serial number and if it's sufficiently new they should repair it for you.

the worst case scenario is that you buy a new neck (that's all that fender'll do anyway). If you do, just put on the tuners from the other neck.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I used to have a Fender Starcaster. I forget what it's called when you slide the strings through a slot in the back of the guitar and you can see all the trem-springs, and I had this godawful buzz when I played my A and D strings. It could just be how your guitar was strung.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Your tuning trees could be loose and rattling.

Maybe he accidently went over them instead of under them?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
he said he took it in^ and ^^

anyway, im thinking the same thing, perhaps theres. a washer in the little TR cavity that rattles, after a while of use.
if fender and the place you bought it, is no help. then i suggest you pack the truss rod cavity with a cotton ball and recover it.

as long as it's just a rattle noise, and not effecting the guitar's playabiliy, it shouldnt matter.

you can listen, for the noise, if it returns, perhaps a slight hand turn to deaden the noise, not enough to change the neck angle.

example pic.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

that was entertaining...hope your guitar is fine....hows the headache??or hangover??
Page 1 of 2