Hey, thought I'd post a thread about me refinishing my Jem copy, as today I'm gonna go out and buy supplies to strip the body which is currently white, and spray the back and sides black. Unlike last time, I'm going to take a hell of a lot of time and care over this to achieve the best finish possible.

Woot its been through alot and looks very shoddy atm also used to be back routed, hence the hole right through it.

This is what I'm going for in the end, note that it will take alot of practice to get this quality so test bits of wood will be used for staining, and clearcoating untill I'm good at it.

Before I even start thinking about staining or even buying the veneer for this guitar I would like to know if I would actually need to bleach the veneer first or not, atm I've been carefully reading this tutorial. I'm going to buy some of this veneer.

Cheers,
Harry
very nice look your going for.
are you changing your pickups and whatnot ??
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
No, you don't need to bleach the veneer first.

Here's a couple I started:

(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
Quote by mfergel
No, you don't need to bleach the veneer first.

Here's a couple I started:
(Invalid img)

Wow, that figuring is crazy
Jesus those are sexy :O

And no I'm not changing the pickups, I have dimarzio evolutions (ones on a Jem 7vwh) but need to somehow paint them black, the single coil should be easy..the hums...I'll do them when I've totally finished somehow

Went to B&Q and Halfords today and got a load of wood filler (drillable), sandpaper, craft knife, 2 500ml cans of black halfords car paint (only for back and sides), 3 500ml cans of clear lacquer(may need more for practice), halfords rubbing compound and turtlewax.
Quote by mfergel

(Invalid img)

thats amazing what wood is that?
and i bought 1 400ml of white primer and managed to do the body over about 3 times and ive still got half left so 2 500ml is plenty
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by mfergel
(Invalid img)

Don't remember what I used for wood on that. The effect was actually achieved by staining the wood black first and then going back over it with a sander. This leaves the stain in the softer grain areas. A lot of newer finishes, such as PRS, do something similar using either dark brown or black and then they go back over the top with a colored stain.