Okay, so... There's a writing event held once a year in November, known as NaNoWriMo (shortened version of National Novel Writing Month) and participants are set the objective of writing a 50,000 word (minimum) novel in the space of just a month. Anyone who meets that target is considered a winner. The novel can be anything you want, in any genre, and doesn't have to be original - you can write fan fiction as well. There are no prizes or anything - it's just for fun and personal achievements. You can get more information here:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Anyway, enough rambling...what I want to ask is...are there any UGers entering the competition this year? If so, have you decided on what you're writing? I'd really like to find out if any one here is doing this, and maybe a little about what they're planning to write. I think it would prove to be an interesting thread.

I haven't decided on exactly what I'm going to write yet, but I have been brainstorming a lot since I got the email reminding me that it was on again (I participated last year, but due to college work I didn't get to spend much time on my novel) and I've decided that the genre will certainly be Fantasy. The plot is still in development, but I think that the main characters will be a mercenary and a noble, and for whatever reason they end up travelling together. And that's all I have so far

But I'll keep people updated on it, if anyone shows an interest, that is.

Anyway, I'm not expecting many responses, but it would be very nice to hear from anyone else who is participating, and it would be even nicer if, after reading this, other people decided to give it a go.

And remember, you can't start writing until November! (Though you are free to plan before then)
Not my thing... but good luck
Quote by spazzymagee417
after i wipe i look at the toilet paper. anyone else do that?

Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
hamburger. put your wang between your cojones and turn 'em sideways.

hahahaha
Thanks.

I'm hoping to do a lot better than last year. I made it to about 7,000 words and then got a stack of assignments to do for college, and it just ate into my spare time. If I make it to 50,000 then I'll be extremely happy. I've never really had a reason to push myself towards the end of anything I write before, so hopefully this will be different. If I can just finish one novel in my life, even if I don't quite make it to being a famous author, I can still be happy
Eh, sounds cool, good luck with that.

I love writing, but to churn out a 50,000 word novel in a month, on top of all my school work and whatnot would be a bit difficult. I'd actually probably enter if there was a prize for the 'best one', but as there's not I'm going to be a square and put school work first.

But hey, again, good luck with it.
Yeah. School and stuff comes first. I could've chosen to get on with the writing instead of the college work last year, but the happy feeling created by a small achievement like that isn't worth throwing away your grades for

And thanks
I am considering it. It's something that would make me stick with a story for a whole month and not wander off, and I could use that.

So yea, I will probably enter. Not exactly sure what I'll write about just yet though
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
Quote by LilVikingboy
I am considering it. It's something that would make me stick with a story for a whole month and not wander off, and I could use that.

So yea, I will probably enter. Not exactly sure what I'll write about just yet though

Awesome. Glad to hear I'm not the only UGer doing this (not that I'd care). Good luck with whatever you decide to write

Quote by maggot4life
start writing now and submit it next year
goot luck

That would be cheating!

Thank you
I wouldn't mind writing a fantasy/horror epic. But I don't have the time.
That's a shame, Archaon. It made me wonder last year why they didn't change the month so it was in the middle of summer when the majority of people were going to have time away from other things and be able to spend more hours working on their novels. Only reason I have time this year is because I'm a jobless sod
Yeah, I'm a Creative Writing major but I couldn't get into any writing classes this semester So I need something to force me to write. However, 50,000 words is a hell of a lot in just a month. The longest thing I've finished thusfar has been 13,000 words :/

This'll be tough.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
It may be tough, but at the end if you make 50,000 words you get a little image thing to display with pride!!!

...yeah, I know that I'm sad
Hey, cool. I'll do it. I'll come back later with an idea.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove