I'm really torn up between choosing between a Peavey Valve King Royal 8 and a Rocktron V50D. I've read a lot about the Royal 8, I might go try it out too at the local music store, but as for the v50d, i have no way of trying it out as most stores dont have it in stock.

I play mostly light rock, some alternative, and on the occasion, some blues, but my preference leans more close to rock. I also need a headphone line seeing as i live in an apartment, i can't even crank up my cheap ibanez starter amp past 5 without my parents telling me to turn it down, i've not even dared to crank it past 7 without headphones. (My poor ears.)

I've done a bit of research and here's the pro's and con's of each that' I've gathered.

Royal 8
+Tube
+Compact
+headphone jack
-5watts (but its tube)

v50D
+50watts
+headphone jack
+delay & chorus
-34lbs. (I'm only a frail 117lb kid)
-solid state

I'm also a noob when it comes to tubes seeing as I just got into guitar playing, but i've been listening enough to know that I have crappy tone coming from my amp. (It's a 15w starter amp for christ's sakes!)

I also practice on occasion with a drummer who's sane in enough to know not to hit hard and my 15watter hasn't had any trouble keeping up with him.
And please, don't try to recommend me anything other than the two. I've window shopped way too much to add more headache. Plus I'm on a strict budget.

This may be too long, but thanks for reading and helping me out.
Quote by keno190
I'm really torn up between choosing between a Peavey Valve King Royal 8 and a Rocktron V50D. I've read a lot about the Royal 8, I might go try it out too at the local music store, but as for the v50d, i have no way of trying it out as most stores dont have it in stock.

I play mostly light rock, some alternative, and on the occasion, some blues, but my preference leans more close to rock. I also need a headphone line seeing as i live in an apartment, i can't even crank up my cheap ibanez starter amp past 5 without my parents telling me to turn it down, i've not even dared to crank it past 7 without headphones. (My poor ears.)

I've done a bit of research and here's the pro's and con's of each that' I've gathered.

Royal 8
+Tube
+Compact
+headphone jack
-5watts (but its tube)

v50D
+50watts
+headphone jack
+delay & chorus
-34lbs. (I'm only a frail 117lb kid)
-solid state

I'm also a noob when it comes to tubes seeing as I just got into guitar playing, but i've been listening enough to know that I have crappy tone coming from my amp. (It's a 15w starter amp for christ's sakes!)

I also practice on occasion with a drummer who's sane in enough to know not to hit hard and my 15watter hasn't had any trouble keeping up with him.
And please, don't try to recommend me anything other than the two. I've window shopped way too much to add more headache. Plus I'm on a strict budget.

This may be too long, but thanks for reading and helping me out.

i would say the royal 8, get into the true tube tone when you just started and youll never go back to SS
try it before you buy it though.
well, i'd really like tube, but would the royal 8 keep up with my sane drummer? I haven't tried it out yet, but I will once I do get the chance and the input on what to look for in an amp.
Would I need anything for the royal 8 too? A Bad monkey? I'm really cheaping it out, but not enough to stoop down to POS gear.
How would the Royal 8 deal with effects and modulation?

The v50d is sexy too, but it's SS and guitar player gave a decent review on it, but the lack of reviews on ug and hc really put my planning into a hamper.
Quote by keno190
well, i'd really like tube, but would the royal 8 keep up with my sane drummer? I haven't tried it out yet, but I will once I do get the chance and the input on what to look for in an amp.
Would I need anything for the royal 8 too? A Bad monkey? I'm really cheaping it out, but not enough to stoop down to POS gear.
How would the Royal 8 deal with effects and modulation?

The v50d is sexy too, but it's SS and guitar player gave a decent review on it, but the lack of reviews on ug and hc really put my planning into a hamper.

im not sure on volume, but i know most tube amps deal with effects and modulation extremely well
Royal 8 will take effects and sound better than any reasonably priced solid state. If your drummer is loud neither of you amp choices will keep up, unless mic'ing is an option. Tell him or her to back off on the pounding and learn to vary his dynamics and volume (in a diplomatic way, however.) I really hate to see you go with a solid state amp, but if you have to check out Peavey Transtubes and Roland Cubes, both sound good and have headphone outs. My preference is the Peaveys, much more tube-like. Royal 8 is the only reasonably priced tube amp I know of with the headphone out.
but i'll be heading off to college soon and i think having a decent amp with headphone out would make dorm life desirable.

and i don't think i can play in any bands in college with the disparity in skill level, im still a noob, so i think ill just try hide in my cave until im more comfortable with my playing.

plus is the royal 8 any heavy at all? i mean, does it way more that the v50d?
The 8 is more classic rock voiced but I would much prefer to overdrive it with a pedal than to play through solid state. I am considering a Royal 8 myself as my other amp is 50 watts tube, can't crank it. I do have an old ss Peavey that makes a really good practice amp but it doesn't measure up to tube.
well, either amp im getting, im also getting a bad monkey for it.
would that be a good overdrive pedal for the royal 8? i've read good reviews about it, but i might try one out before i pull the trigger on it though.

are there any intricacies that i need to know about tube amps/royal 8 that i need to know or something? is it plug-and-play?

the only problem im facing is the fact i can't test out the v50d.
would a 50watter ss amp be better/louder than a 5w tube amp for the same price?
Yeah the ss 50 would be much louder. Loud is not the same as good. The Royal 8 is pretty much plug and play. About 10 minutes and you should be able to dial in your tone. I don't like those bad monkeys but that's a taste thing. Try some different pedals with your amp, don't buy the pedal before you buy the amp. They sound different through different amps. Good luck and happy college.