should i buy a marshall mg100dfx or a vox valvetronix 100 watt
i've played both amps and i like them both and i cant decide which one i should buy and the price difference dosent bother me at all
YOU SEE US COMIN WALK TOGETHER RUN FOR COVER WERE TAKIN OVER THIS FUCKIN TOWN-PANTERA COWBOYS FROM HELL (OFFICAL LIVE 101)
How much do you have to spend altogether? And what kind of music do you play?

For the same price, you could get yourself a 30 watt valve combo that would have superior tone and easily be loud enough for gigging.
right now i have 600 bucks
and i mostly play guns n roses metallica and ozzy osbourne
YOU SEE US COMIN WALK TOGETHER RUN FOR COVER WERE TAKIN OVER THIS FUCKIN TOWN-PANTERA COWBOYS FROM HELL (OFFICAL LIVE 101)
Have a look at this and an overdrive pedal to get it into heavier territory. It will be a hundred, if not a thousand times better than those two amps that you suggested
Quote by Wickedlester_71
Hes gonna show up playing GnR and Metallica with that little thing....?

Have you ever played a valve amp? A 30 watt valve amp is easily loud enough for gigging. My JCM900, run at half power (25 watts), could easily cope in a live setting. So yeah, why not? It'd be better than both the amps he was looking at and that half-stack (which is unnecessary) that you suggested.
i totally forgot about randall amps
i played one once and it was awesome

i thought about buying a krank amp but there really expensive
Quote by Wickedlester_71
do you actually play live gigs?.........if so, do you play Ozzy or Metallica type music with that amp?...just curious

I play all sorts with this amp, ranging from Hendrix and Clapton to Iron Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth. And I have played a few gigs in my time, using a friend's Peavey Classic 30. I haven't gigged with this amp, but I know it's perfectly capable.

Quote by Wickedlester_71
dude!!!!!!!!!love Randall!...btw im a huge BLS fan too....no wimpy little boutique combo 30 watters....need a halfstack!!!!!!!!!destroy!!!!!!!!!lol

No. Just, no... Where on Earth is Slats with his signature when you need him?
This is one of those tragically naive threads.

The answer is simple, used JCM 900 combo. You don't need a halfstack. You don't need it new.
Quote by Don_Humpador
This is one of those tragically naive threads.

The answer is simple, used JCM 900 combo. You don't need a halfstack. You don't need it new.

Thank you.
Quote by Wickedlester_71
Do you guys understand that he doesnt play Santana or Clapton?....I was just checking.

See my previous post, especially the 'tragically' and 'naive' bits.
Yes. He's pointed out his styles...and I've recommended something that would cover them, as has Don_Humpador.

Do you understand that a poor SS halfstack will only look cool? The resulting tone will still be terrible. Yeah, that Palomino, or a JCM900 combo won't look as 'cool', but will sound a lot better.

When did looks become more important than tone?
There is no hope for you, is there?

A 30 watt valve amp has plenty of power, and is loud enough for gigging. Any venue that you would 'need' more will provide you with mics for your equipment, so you don't actually have to get anything bigger. The Vox AC30 has been used by more bands than you can shake a stick at, and they've all gigged with it. 30 watts is plenty.

Edit:
Quote by Wickedlester_71
apparently you guys dont play live gigs....which is cool man..

I've already said that I've played a few... 0.o
Why not?! Seriously...how many times do I have to say that 30 watts isn't little when it comes to valve amps? Read this - there's a bit in there that explains the volume difference between valves and solid state.
Quote by Wickedlester_71
too much to carry around?....sheesh!
Believe me dude...hes not gonna buy a little 30 watter combo to play Metallica through.......and BTW....nice band....

30W valve is equal to 60, 70, even 80 watts SS. Plus, cranked, it'll sound better than anything your Randall HS can do.
Quote by Wickedlester_71
too much to carry around?....sheesh!
Believe me dude...hes not gonna buy a little 30 watter combo to play Metallica through.......and BTW....nice band....

why wouldnt he?
if it sounds better why not?
dude you are just being stupid and narrow minded.
you do not need a half stack to play metallica.
30 watts is more than enough.
my bands previous rythm guitarist had a mg100dfx and my marshall tsl on the 25 watt setting crushed his amp at full volume.

and thanks for the compliment on my band
Quote by Wickedlester_71
dude!!!!!!!!!love Randall!...btw im a huge BLS fan too....no wimpy little boutique combo 30 watters....need a halfstack!!!!!!!!!destroy!!!!!!!!!lol

dude ur gonna get raped for saying that...lol
Edit: nvm, u already are.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
We do, because good advice is better than bad advice and you, sir, are handing out only the latter (and a string of comments which could be taken as insults). If the TS wants to have good tone, then they should not get that half-stack you suggested.
Quote by Wickedlester_71
no wimpy little boutique combo 30 watters....need a halfstack!!!!!!!!!destroy!!!!!!!!!lol

PLEASE get a clue.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Wickedlester_71
have you ever even heard that half stack?

Nope, but judging by the ignorance of it's customers, I'll put my house on it that a Valve Jr, which is 5 Watts, 8" speaker, $150 or so, and only has a volume control has a better blues/classic rock tone than the Randall. Honestly.
Yes, along with MG100s, Spider 100s, Valvetronix 100s, Crate Flexwave 100s...all those halfstacks. And out of them all, the only one worth anything is the Valvetronix, but a valve amp will still be better. And having only $600 doesn't mean that you should throw it away on a horrid SS halfstack. Especially when for much less (as I showed with the Palomino and overdrive suggestion) you can get a good amp that sounds great and can cope with gigging.

When you turn up any of those SS stacks, the tone will be vile. When you turn up the valve amp, it just gets better and better the further the dial goes up.

Edit:
Quote by Don_Humpador
Nope, but judging by the ignorance of it's customers, I'll put my house on it that a Valve Jr (5 Watts, 8" speaker, $150 or so, only has a volume control) has a better blues/classic rock tone than the Randall. Honestly.

Looks like you'll be keeping that, then
I see... 0.o

Maybe you were just looking at the wrong amps for the styles you play...?
Quote by Wickedlester_71
ok ill quit this little mean game that we are playing. All im saying is that I used to own a bunch of amps...I had probs with Marshalls getting really muddy...replacing tubes...Peavey 5150 that sounded like muddy crap after about 4 months....a Mesa Dual Rectifier that sounded muddy as hell...ive spent a ton of money on tube amps and for some reason...IM JUST SAYING!!!...that after a while they all started sounding bad to me. I own Randall amps...and i play through a Warhead and it totally crushed the sound of a little combo 50 watter tubey my friend brought over to our practice room. The bass player has a massive ampeg amp and it couldnt compete....MAYBE THE ONE YOU PLAY THROUGH COULD!....me personally i havent had good experiences with any TUBE amp...but hey....thats just me

You swapped a Mesa Dual recto for a Randall SS amp.

1.) Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

or

2.) Why?

I suspect No.1, to be honest. And it's not a mean game we're playing, we're offering our genuine opinions, and that is, for $600, a good tube combo is the best option available.
Quote by Wickedlester_71
The guy was totally pissed at me for not liking his Marshall.....variety is the spice of life...I dont have to like tube amps if i dont want to....

Are you referring to me? Because I couldn't give a rat's arse if you liked my Marshall or not. There are many amps I'd rather have, but this was the one I got because it was something I could afford (in trade with my VJ), it has the wattage I need for when I start gigging again and it's versatile enough without having to cost me an arm and a leg.
Crate Palomino V32 or a Peavey Classic 30 and you'll be golden.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Wickedlester_71
not you dude...the guy who brought over his Marshall to our rehearsal room

Fair enough.
you have any clips to demonstrate how "great" your equipment sounds?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Wickedlester_71
im just saying that people can have any opinion they want....and its okay to play non tube amps too...even though everyone goes off on you and stuff and acts like your a total noob and that I have no clue what im talking about...thats fine too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I play original music and no i dont have any clips in here to let everyone say how ****ty my non tube amp sounds..

Well you seemed to be trashing people's opinions earlier...
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I've been playing a while. You have a right to your opinion. The bad thing about the internet is that you really can't make totally informed choices from opinions, even sound clips. To me tubes sound way better but solid states have a place, though I relegate them to practice only. No reason to be afraid to voice your opinion but no opinion is so iron-clad it won't be challenged. Our first mission should be to help the TS, not to convince everyone we are right (although I like a good spirited argument.)
There is an edit button .
Quote by utsapp89
With all these tube amps that most guitarists would love to have that wicklester had and claimed were all crap, I have to wonder if he even knows they have to be/how to bias a tube amp... like he claims replacing tubes and they still sounded like crap (which will happen if you don't bias the amp). In any case, he can have his randalls (good amp for metal but that's about it).