Hi guys,

I have been looking for a stacked hum thats suitable for playing mid-high gain stuff like maiden, some metallica, that sorta stuff.

But at the same time i want a decent clean sound. I nearly bought the hot rails but then the clean sound of the pickup was quite muddy and unpleasant. Is there something that has better cleans but handles gain well also?
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
How much are you willing to spend? There are lots of pickups in different price ranges. You could look at something like a Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom, or a DiMarzio Super Distortion.
the guitarist from Maiden used a Strat w/ 2 JB jr.s in the bridge and neck. id say those would be good.
Ack...I didn't see that it said stacked. JB Jr. would perhaps do it, but you could also look into the singlecoil-sized Super Distortion.
I was thinking of hot rails.. But also was considering the ToneZone S and Super Dist S..

The dimarzios are more exp here.. 130-150SGD..
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Cool rails. Don't be decieved, the output is deceptively high, and it's really fat. Many people don't give it a chance just because of the association with the Hotrails, but it has all the high gain benifits, with much better cleans, and a less buzzy tone.
Im looking for sth that can give me a nice palm muting sound. Currently im getting flat undefined bass frm my palm mutes.. Can the cool rails do better at those palm mutes, very commonly used in metal/hard rock?
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Most definitely, but it's a technique thing, too. I use primarily a Fender American strat with only stock, low output single coils, and I get a great crunchy palmmuting tone with them (I play plenty of metal, from Sabbath and Maiden up to Nightwish and Opeth.)
Hotrails don't have terrible cleans, they're just not great cleans.
If you wanted to buy one, I could sell you mine used.
But... usually you don't need great cleans in the bridge, so it really doesn't matter.
The hotrails dirties up really nicely, and I think one of the guys from Iron Maiden used one at some point.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I tried the lace sensor but i din like it..

Between the Super Dist S, cool rails n hot rails, which is the better choice?
Criteria being versatility and tone.
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
I really don't like Lace Sensors at all myself.

DiMarzio also makes some decent stacked buckers. Super high output, though, is usually mutually exclusive of really good cleans. If you want good cleans from your bridge position, you should consider a coil splitting switch.
Hi, I'm Peter
Damnit dimarzio stacked hums are so rare in singapore.

Looks like i gotta get Duncans.. Its either hot rails or cool rails most probably.. If i use the cool rails coupled with a pickup booster, can it get very 'hot'?
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
The pickup does not decide the amount of distortion, your amp does, your pickups can only drive it further, meaning less gain will get you to the same place.
EMG 81-SA-SA set. Try a guitar with them already equipped and you'll be surprised at how good they sound clean and they'll blow you away on the OD channel ! Endorsed by both Kirk Hamnett of Metallica and David Gilmour among others. They are CRYSTAL clear.
Quote by TimmyPage06
The pickup does not decide the amount of distortion, your amp does, your pickups can only drive it further, meaning less gain will get you to the same place.

I was about to say something to this effect.

However, a humbucker of any sorts, need not be a high output one, would be good for you. It'll fatten up your Strat's bridge position. Perhaps a Seymour Duncan SH-11. Check if your strat is routed for a normal humbucker underneath the pickguard.
Quote by TimmyPage06

Eh, it's true and it isn't. I play a low output Strat and a medium output PRS through the same amp on the same settings, you're definitely going to notice a difference in the gain, especially with the Gain, Drive, and Preamp volume dimed. So pickups will decide the ultimate amount of distortion you get from your amp.
Hi, I'm Peter
My strat is routed s-s-s.. Im lookin for something quite hot compared to my current pickup..

Current contenders are Cool Rails, Super Dist S and Hot Rails.
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Are they any good? their version of the hot rails looks quite cool.. Either 10k or 15k output..
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
I'd go for a SD Little '59. It's got a much lower output than the hotrails or JB Jr, but has a nicer clean tone and will still do heavy pretty well. I used to use one in my Tele and it did a pretty good impression of a PAF...
Quote by zizou510
Are they any good? their version of the hot rails looks quite cool.. Either 10k or 15k output..

they're not good compared to $100 pickups, but its worth the $30 or so you're investing on it. their pickups are really hot too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I have to spend on transportation too, cos i live in South east asia.. lol
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live