Is it better to buy a new guitar or a new amp to get a better sound quality?
amp=90% of your tone
Ibanez RGT42FX
Vox AD30VT-XL

Quote by Attack
No. In Soviet Russia, Hell goes to you,
If you have a low end guitar right now, i'd say get a new guitar. Not necessarily because of sound, but because playing a nicer guitar is a lot easier because of the action on them. This makes almost everything easier: regular fretting, hammer/pulls, tapping, bending, vibrato, etc. Ever since I upgraded guitars, I've learned a lot faster. Doesn't necessarily mean you are a better guitarist, but you sound a lot better and play a lot easier.

If you already have a nice guitar with good action, I'd probably go with a new amp.
Quote by ken112291
amp=90% of your tone

maybe, but dont expect to sound awesome if you guitar is crap and you just got a brand new amp

it depends on your gear
Quote by kyrreca
What guitar do you currently have?
What amp do you currently have?

a proper post, finally!
Quote by stephen_rettie
yes laugh at the truth

you're running a maxon od808 through a marshall mg. you know nothing.

you can't base it on percentages but i wouldnt say it's any more than 60, bear in mind that your actual playing is a huge part

if it were 90% then you'd have to allocate less than 1% to these

Tuner type, bridge type, wood type, wood quality, neck joint, neck type, neck construction, headstock shape/size, number of screws used, type of screws used, wires used, pots used, pups used, paint used, coating used, string gauge, string material, plectrum material, plectrum size/thickness, nut, fretboard, inlays

get my drift? amp is a big part, guitar is a big part, playing is a big part

amp has a bigger effect than the guitar, but we can't split that into %, not to forget that a guitar you are ore comfortable with may boost your motivation and therefore ability, which is more valuable than the tone you have.

if you are still at the beginner stage a tube amp may make you sound worse as they are more sensitive to dynamics and such. provided you can play to some degree it should make a big difference.

end rant
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by swinghead
maybe, but dont expect to sound awesome if you guitar is crap and you just got a brand new amp

Crap guitars usually just refer to it being set up poorly.

****ty pickups will sound good through a sexy amp .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
to answer your question directly, the bottleneck of a bad amp is much more evident than that of a bad guitar. which means if you're playing awesome stuff through a bad amp, it will generally sound worse than if you're playing a bad guitar through awesome stuff.

and practice more.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
i dont heave anything special and i am not to much of an experienced player.
I heave:
Ibanez RG series 270
Marshall 45 w