Modern music depresses me. Not because its sad but because it is ****. I can't stand indie yet everywhere i look this is the most prominent genre. Bnads sound too alike and sing about nothing yet people buy it and make this talentless wankers rich.
The fact that hard-fi and kaizer chiefs are two of the biggest selling bands of the last few years makes me want to break someones jaw.
Does anybody out there actually think modern music is good in comparison to years gone by? And are the most popular writers now anything like as good as past greats such as dylan, Lennon, simon and garfunkal (sp?), Johson or young?
Bring back music with meaning please x
are any of the writers you listed any where near as good as Duke Ellington? i dont thnk so.
hmmm maybe different people like different things.
now shut up and go write a better song
Modern music kicks ass. Modern popular music sucks balls, with the exception of Avenged Sevenfold, Velvet Revolver, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. But indie does suck, as does pop-punk, as does mainstream hip-hop, as do all of the generic pop stars like Britteny Spears, etc., as does mainstream rock. It just keeps getting longer and longer *insert That's what she said joke here*
Quote by chea_man
are any of the writers you listed any where near as good as Duke Ellington? i dont thnk so.
hmmm maybe different people like different things.
now shut up and go write a better song

remeber the name "the sunshine's"
modern music is amongst the best there is. you're just not looking in the right places if you think otherwise.
Quote by Copius
Modern music kicks ass. Modern popular music sucks balls, with the exception of Avenged Sevenfold, Velvet Revolver, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. But indie does suck, as does pop-punk, as does mainstream hip-hop, as do all of the generic pop stars like Britteny Spears, etc., as does mainstream rock. It just keeps getting longer and longer *insert That's what she said joke here*

sorry but A7X do NOT belong on that list.
i listen to pretty much all music, and I actually prefer modern popular music such as the dreaded fall out boy. i just cant find anything wrong with them and i also cant figure out why you think bands like them are ****. their music sounds good, in key, with a definate rhythm, the vocals are usually top notch, and lyrics to me are way better than those of the past.

but thats just my opinion. dont be immature and flame me.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
It's not all modern music that's ****, just the really mainstream stuff. But there has started to be a shift in modern stuff back toward classic rock and 80's metal. Give it a few years, and we'll be back to the good old stuff
Eh...I consider Dylan and Lennon relatively modern, and it isn't as if their music is that much more complex than bands this decade. There are plenty talented musicians in every genre. What's good is subjective, and I wouldn't call an entire time period of music "****".
Quote by Rungej
whats wrong with A7x??

you seen their new songs / image / everything?

synester = slash wannabe
m.shadows = chester bennington wannabe (look at his hair and listen to his voice)
the rest of them are equally bad.
John Mayer is really good. Alot of super-popular misic isnt very good, but if u look around, i think youll be pleasantly surprised. Bands like Mastodon, Coheed and Cambria (non-singles mostly), and Quees of the Stone Age are still finding things and sounds that are new and awesome. Velvet Revolver, The Sword, old Funeral For a Friend, Saosin, Nine Black Alps, so many good bands that arent popular.
Quote by The Madcap
Eh...I consider Dylan and Lennon relatively modern, and it isn't as if their music is that much more complex than bands this decade. There are plenty talented musicians in every genre. What's good is subjective, and I wouldn't call an entire time period of music "****".

Why do you consider music from the 60's modern?
Quote by Burningritual
Modern music depresses me. Not because its sad but because it is ****.

You're a ****ing idiot!

I can't stand indie yet everywhere i look this is the most prominent genre. Bnads sound too alike and sing about nothing yet people buy it and make this talentless wankers rich.

Wow...just look at the mainstream...yeah...that'll give a good perspective!

The fact that hard-fi and kaizer chiefs are two of the biggest selling bands of the last few years makes me want to break someones jaw.

Get help.

Does anybody out there actually think modern music is good in comparison to years gone by?

I think better

Bring back music with meaning please x

I repeat: You're a ****ing idiot

Go find some modern music outside of the mainstream

It all has meaning even if you don't think so
Quote by meh...
sorry but A7X do NOT belong on that list.

In your opinion

Quote by meh...

synester = slash wannabe
m.shadows = chester bennington wannabe (look at his hair and listen to his voice)

ZOMG! THEY BOTH HAVE MOHAWKS!!! RIP OFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Quote by Izz
Well, Rock Music is mainly what the posters have been talking about. In terms of composition and relationship of notes, the Rock music of the '60s is fairly similar to today's Rock music. Both have similar structures, and the actual sound of the instruments is the biggest change. But today's Rock music is still composed similarly to the Rock music from the '60s (Dylan, Beatles, etc.).
Bleh. I can't stand most classic rock for some reason, but a lot of modern (not necessarily pure mainstream) sounds loads better to me, especially the distortion. I can't stand "crunch" distortion for the most part; give it a fair bit of gain and it sounds loads better. But then again, that's all my opinion, which means it's gospel which you must all accept and worship.

/egotism
Quote by The Madcap
Well, Rock Music is mainly what the posters have been talking about. In terms of composition and relationship of notes, the Rock music of the '60s is fairly similar to today's Rock music. Both have similar structures, and the actual sound of the instruments is the biggest change. But today's Rock music is still composed similarly to the Rock music from the '60s (Dylan, Beatles, etc.).

true, all theyve really done is added major distortion.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by Its_Rock77
true, all theyve really done is added major distortion.

Yeah!

That and all the modern recording equipment with great quality recordings...
Quote by Izz

it's newer than bach ain't it?

but seriously, if you compare a 60s song with a modern song, you'll find more similarities than comparing a 60s song and a 1860s song.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
GiantRaven knows what he's on about.

They're going to be bands that you'll like or won't like! Just look harder!
Quote by flambe chicken
it's newer than bach ain't it?

but seriously, if you compare a 60s song with a modern song, you'll find more similarities than comparing a 60s song and a 1860s song.

This is a guitar forum

Bach doesn't count

Quote by Burningritual

Hard-Fi sing songs with meanings, have you actually listened to them at all?

Also, it's Kaiser.
Quote by GiantRaven
This is a guitar forum

Bach doesn't count

I'm glad you put that "" smiley there...otherwise I might lose it.
God, another modern music sucks thread. When will people learn to accept?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by meh...

synester = slash wannabe

I don't care about their image. I'm pretty positive they dont go around thinking to themselves, "I want to look exactly like chester bennington," and really people dont have a lot of control over what their voice sounds like.

A7X though, the first time i heard them, amazed me with their complex guitar parts. I think their a very musical band with complex parts and talented members, so i appreciate them for that