alrite i know that some people like to have piezo pickups in their electrics to creat an acoustic type sound. the only one off the top of my head is slash but thats more than enough reason for me to be interested in it. in fact i think he uses a Fishman Powerbridge.

my questions are:

1) wuts the rough price of this?
2) do you have to modify ur guitar (routing of any kind, just new wiring, etc.)
3) wut kind of sound do you get from it
4) is it worth it

thanx guys!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
1) LR Baggs T-Bridge + LR Baggs Control-x Mixer/Preamp if you want to blend the tones.
2) It'd take some wiring and possible routing if you wanted the blending.
3) Kind of similar to what a plugged in acoustic/electric sounds like (but not as stabbingly pingy like the cheaper acoustic/electric pickups).
4) It depends. You could probably just save up and buy a guitar that has it already .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The Fishman piezo Strat bridges run around $300. As far as installation, check out the instructions on their webpage. For sound, check out a Parker Fly or similar guitar and see if you like the tone. It's definitely different from a magnetic pickup, but doesn't sound quite like an acoustic.
Hi, I'm Peter
i love the sound of a strumming acoustic rythm, and can't get it on clean electric, so would this pickup give me close to a natural tone sound? if so i think it'd be worth it so that way i wouldn't have to switch guitars in the middle of praise band songs. not lookin for a new guitar sorry! love my SG!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
i love the sound of a strumming acoustic rythm, and can't get it on clean electric, so would this pickup give me close to a natural tone sound?

Not really.

Go play a guitar with a piezo bridge and check for yourself.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Not really.

Go play a guitar with a piezo bridge and check for yourself.

+1 I have a Fishman floating piezo bridge on my Dean. It doesn't really sound like an acoustic at all, but the sound is excellent and can stand alone as something else, based on my Dean I probably wouldn't buy another electric without one. However it also has 2 Dimarzio humbuckers. I have yet to hear an electric guitar I like better. The ones that come close are several thousand $$$ more. I consider myself extremely lucky to have found this guitar used.

My Variax 700 has the L R baggs bridge which sounds exactly like a plugged acoustic, but i really don't know how much is the bridge as apposed to the electronics in the guitar. If you really want an acoustic sound in an electric guitar the Variax is the only way to go. Never picked up the 300 or the 600 (lower cost ones), but the 700 is just excellent and i'd buy that again in a heart beat.

Edit. I should add here that it also depends on what your playing through. Like my regular acoustics the Variax requires a PA to sound really good on acoustic settings. When playing through a standard electric guitar amp it just isn't quite right, but the supplied A/B switch allows me to go back and forth between my PA and Vox (or peavey) on the fly. It's just a great setup.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Oct 19, 2007,
Quote by scott58

My Variax 700 has the L R baggs bridge which sounds exactly like a plugged acoustic, but i really don't know how much is the bridge as apposed to the electronics in the guitar. If you really want an acoustic sound in an electric guitar the Variax is the only way to go. Never picked up the 300 or the 600 (lower cost ones), but the 700 is just excellent and i'd buy that again in a heart beat.

Just for clarification to the thread starter, the Variax 300 and 600 will sound similiar to the 700. tThe electronics are the same, except the neck radius is different on all 3, the woods and quality of build change and the 300 is a hardtail
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
so what are u saying then? the acoustic sound is better if it's in the variax than it would be in a regular electric? is there any examples of songs that the piezo pickup is used on an electic? i know slash's les paul's usually have the fishman powerbridge but i do not know which songs or which parts in songs that he uses it in so that way i could get a good idea of the song. or does he use it more live? if so it'd be nice to get a link to a sound clip or sumthin w/ the pickup bein used.

thanx guys!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
I would go with Facing Us All's suggestion in just buying a new guitar. You might love your G-400 but you could pick up a used Parker or other guitar with a Piezo in it and not only have a Piezo installed, but have a better guitar.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by slash_rocks2005
so what are u saying then? the acoustic sound is better if it's in the variax than it would be in a regular electric? is there any examples of songs that the piezo pickup is used on an electic? i know slash's les paul's usually have the fishman powerbridge but i do not know which songs or which parts in songs that he uses it in so that way i could get a good idea of the song. or does he use it more live? if so it'd be nice to get a link to a sound clip or sumthin w/ the pickup bein used.

thanx guys!!!

Well, piezo pickups will never get you an exact acoustic sound. You' have to mess around with reverb, delay etc... to get close...A piezo just translates vibartions in the wood to sound.

A variax is basically piezos with an electric processor inbetween the piezos and the output which takes care of getting the right amount of reverb needed so the sound of a variax will be much better than running piezos in a normal electric guitar
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350