Ok, so I can hold my own with slap bass, nothing spectacular but I can make it sound groovy.

HOWEVER, I keep hearing some slap bass solos in which the 'tap-tap-tap' noise of the strings striking the fretboard (hopefully you know what noise I mean) is crazily fast. When I'm slapping I can't get my thumb moving that fast and the bassists don't do it either, when I watch vids of bassists doing it, then it seems like they're hitting the strings with their thumb but also with their fingers, giving them the faster tapping noise.

Is this what they're actually doing, or am I missing something here?

Thanks guys!
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
How? I really don't see how it's possible to slap, like, 8-12 notes per second like that... most of it is muted strings btw...
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
if you slap then do a hard mute and repeat this again and again and fast enough it will sound more like your're simply slapping twice as fast. Maybe that's what you're seeing to some extent.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Oct 19, 2007,
Yeah, It's not ALL in the thumb. The left hand is hitting the strings percussively to produce the double slap effect.
signature
Ok I thought it would be something like that...thanks guys!
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
maybe it's double thumping (that's what my bass teacher calls it anyway)
it's basically a slap and a pop with your thumb. it's quite similar to doing a down strum and then an upstrum with a plectrum...except you do it with your thumb...it's quite hard to explain in words haha. victor wooten uses it a lot, try youtube or something.
once you start to do it well you can double your normal speed (since it's 2 notes instead of 1)
Last edited by Gruff at Oct 19, 2007,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
if you slap then do a hard mute and repeat this again and again and fast enough it will sound more like your're simply slapping twice as fast. Maybe that's what you're seeing to some extent.

Best avatar EVER by the way.

I think you're talking double-thumping. Check out Classical Thump or Country Song.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Yeah, It's not ALL in the thumb. The left hand is hitting the strings percussively to produce the double slap effect.

sorry victor wooten
Quote by Lendorav
Maybe they're alternating muted slaps and pops?

I'd say its a mix of mutes and double-thumping. Hit the string with your thumb on the way back up (almost like a pick). It takes sooo much practice to get right, but its worth leaning.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
They way I do it is pop (index, then ring if its super fast), then slap the strings against the fretboard with my left hand then with my thumb. Then repeat it
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Slapping.

Popping.

Left hand slapping (a la Les Claypool).

Combined together can lead to greatness.
MIJ Precision 1988 / MIA Jazz 2005 -> Markbass CMD 102P -> Kustom 'Deep End' 115