yo, I was thinkin of buying some EMG 81/85's. Just want to know your guys view on them. And I aint playin no soft clean music with this im doin death metal/grindcore and other blah blah blah
If I were you, I'd save the money and put it towards getting a new amp, because through the MG you won't notice a difference if you change the pickups.
yeah for death metal/grindcore, imo EMG's are the way to go.
I'd go with the 81/60 set though as I find the 60 much better than the 85.

However- just looked at your gear, EMG's will make next to no difference because your amp is dismal- amp plays the part in the vast majority of your tone, so look to upgrade that first.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
EMGs might sound worse through your amp than your current pickups.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
If you want 81/85's, I'll sell you mine. I'm getting them switched out anytime now.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by xTJx
If you want 81/85's, I'll sell you mine. I'm getting them switched out anytime now.

how much do you want for them?
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Honestly, get a new amp, pickups won't do ****.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
tj, how much for ur emgs ? im looking for some for my SG i got for my bday
squire strat
MG 15
Spider 30

i am useless + i phail
they're good for a live band setting. they cut through the mix well. but personally, they're too trebly for me and sterile sounding. from what I've heard from friends who use them, they aren't very good for recording either, as a couple of friends have borrowed my guitars while recording.

but if it's for a live guitar and it's all about gain, I wouldn't recommend against it. those were just a few cons and pros I've dealt with. they're definetely on the better end of the spectrum of pups.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
Quote by 2_Fast_2_Vader
they're good for a live band setting. they cut through the mix well. but personally, they're too trebly for me and sterile sounding. from what I've heard from friends who use them, they aren't very good for recording either, as a couple of friends have borrowed my guitars while recording.

but if it's for a live guitar and it's all about gain, I wouldn't recommend against it. those were just a few cons and pros I've dealt with. they're definetely on the better end of the spectrum of pups.

While I agree he would be better off investing in an amp first, that's ridiculous man, they record fine, no different than other pickups. They may even record better IME in certain situations because of the low noise. You've owned them and experienced these problems?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
If your serious about the EMGs then you should get the KFK set

My Rig

BC Rich MM KKW
BC Rich MM TF
Takamine G320

Boss MT-2
Fender frontman through a huge speaker my dad had in our garage (yes I cant afford a halfstack)
METAL HEAD 13
Quote by Erock503
While I agree he would be better off investing in an amp first, that's ridiculous man, they record fine, no different than other pickups. They may even record better IME in certain situations because of the low noise. You've owned them and experienced these problems?

I've owned them, yes. but I can't constitute for the recording. that info was simply related to me from two different friends that were recording, and thier guitars had EMG's and they wanted something passive. I can't argue against you, but that's what I heard. and thier recordings turned out pretty well, so I have to go with thier word.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
I've PM'd you guys, but make me an offer for them.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
I haven't had any problems using mine with an SS amp, but, I have noticed they don't co-operate with distortion pedals well.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2