Whilst internet-surf-shopping for amps, I stumbled across the Windsor Studio again. It's in my pricerange, has a brilliant array of features and suits my musical styles...

But is it released in the UK yet? Anybody got the latest information?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I emailed Richard at Guitars.co.uk a while back about it, and this is the reply I got from him:

"Not available until around nov/dec.

It keeps being put back and back and back....
Best Regards

Richard Cholerton (Director)"

It was about a month ago, but I can't see any evidence that it's been moved forward
Id like to grab it as well, but it hasnt even come out over in the US yet. Looks like a great alternative to the stack.
^ Yeah totally... I might email some dealers or something, if they have it in stock I'll jump on it, looks perfect at 20w clean with a KT88 (I plan on putting a JJ KT88 in)... If not, I'll wait. It looks a great option for both gigging and home, with 20w on tap and an attenuator...
I have mixed feelings about this. The one - and I stress I've only heard one - clip I've heard of it was pretty average. It has a lot of features, and the half stack version usually gets rave reviews, so, on paper, it should be excellent value for money. But I can't help but feel it's all too good to be true....
^ The thought had crossed my mind. The pushed-back release date is also annoying and concerning, but the features are truly excellent.

I have a feeling it'll share a key Valveking feature, though - the crappy stock speaker. That and the crappy stock valves.
^ahem, not just the valveking, pretty much all peavey's have crappy stock speakers.
Well putting in a greenback shouldn't be too clostly if you are the UK...

I'd love to try it when it comes out!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Don_Humpador
But I can't help but feel it's all too good to be true....

That's my big fear. I'm very intrigued by this amp. I love the one power tube concept, where I can plug almost any power tube into the thing to get different sounds and wattages out of it. Seems so cool. The built in attenuator's another neat feature.

I'm concerned that the features may be too much, and may therefore squash the tone. I'm also concerned that my expectations are too high. I have this amp listed in my brain currently as the final amp solution. It's probably not quite that good.

I'm also concerned about the fact that they keep pushing back the release. Tells me there might be quite a few bugs in it still.

Quote by Hakanku
^ahem, not just the valveking, pretty much all peavey's have crappy stock speakers.

I tend to agree, although I find myself pleasantly surprised by the Blue Marvel in my Classic 30. At rehearsal last night, I was getting a lot of compliments on my sound again from my new bandmates.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
That's my big fear. I'm very intrigued by this amp. I love the one power tube concept, where I can plug almost any power tube into the thing to get different sounds and wattages out of it. Seems so cool. The built in attenuator's another neat feature.

I'm concerned that the features may be too much, and may therefore squash the tone. I'm also concerned that my expectations are too high. I have this amp listed in my brain currently as the final amp solution. It's probably not quite that good.

I'm also concerned about the fact that they keep pushing back the release. Tells me there might be quite a few bugs in it still.

I tend to agree, although I find myself pleasantly surprised by the Blue Marvel in my Classic 30. At rehearsal last night, I was getting a lot of compliments on my sound again from my new bandmates.

For sure. I mean, £190 ($380) is a steal for what you get. But it may be a bit sub-par. If it's ANYTHING like the head though....
Quote by MrCarrot
But it may be a bit sub-par. If it's ANYTHING like the head though....

It's funny, because everyone has their own hopes and expectations of the thing. I actually hope it's not all that much like the head. I see it more like a variably voiced Blues Jr. A true Class A blues machine (as opposed to all the liars that claim to be Class A!).

Who knows... ?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Who knows... ?

They don't know (they don't know)
Like i know (like i know)
Do you know? (they don't know)
i don't know

...sorry, had to do it.

i'm really looking forward to this, maybe i'll pick one up.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by qotsa1998
Id like to grab it as well, but it hasnt even come out over in the US yet. Looks like a great alternative to the stack.

im sure they have, videos on youtube beg me to differ.
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
im sure they have, videos on youtube beg me to differ.

I can only find 1...And that's Gearwire. And it's not that good.
Quote by Don_Humpador
I can only find 1...And that's Gearwire. And it's not that good.

just a minute, there was somebody trying out an overdrive pedal on one, il just try and find it...

edit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3vS3YDEFYQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KsbswDtR94&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8IwN5x8ckw&mode=related&search=

there you go
Last edited by Guitar-God-Elf at Oct 19, 2007,
as long as it can pull off those 80's hair metal tones ill be glad... Boosted or not.

Edit: Those videos are the Head, not the studio combo...

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
just a minute, there was somebody trying out an overdrive pedal on one, il just try and find it...

edit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3vS3YDEFYQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KsbswDtR94&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8IwN5x8ckw&mode=related&search=

there you go

Phail.

Sorry, those are the half stack ones apart from the Gearwire one, which I already mentioned.
Dunno why Peavey just can't release a few excerpts, even if they're not going to release the amp. It's like they're scared of what people might hear
Quote by Don_Humpador
Dunno why Peavey just can't release a few excerpts, even if they're not going to release the amp. It's like they're scared of what people might hear

is there going to be many differences from the head??
and i know what you mean, they'v delayed it and delayed it.....
^ It's a SE, class A amp, so yeah, very different at that stage already.

If you look at the Windsor head (£300) and what you get on that for the price - a 120w brilliant JCM800 clone, and then think of the Studio, in the ssame series - a 11-20w single-channel 1x12 combo, I think the price is reasonable. They probably cut costs by putting in hopelessly bad speakers - the pics I've seen show the speaker is just generic and unmarked.

I'm willing to take the hit and get one, if it comes out in January, especially as my 'rents are getting me it. If the speakers/valves are as poor as I expect, they're changing straight to EHX 12AX7, JJ KT88 and a Celestion G12H30 - should make it a pretty awesome 20w amp.
I might get one if it is good. I mainly play 80's thrash metal (Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Exodus etc), so I am hoping it will suit these styles of music.

Not sure about how much it will be, amp prices are crazy in Australia. If a Peavey Valveking 112 costs around $1000, then how much would the Windsor Studio be roughly?
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
A Windsor Studio's RRP in the US and UK is £250/$500USD. I've seen shops list them at £200/$400USD however. Put it into XE or some kind of converter, add about 15% to the price because you're in Australia, and that should be it...
Okay, I'll just say it is roughly the price of the Valveking then...
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Quote by Don_Humpador
It has a lot of features, and the half stack version usually gets rave reviews, so, on paper, it should be excellent value for money. But I can't help but feel it's all too good to be true....

that's my only worry.

I haven't contacted peavey since that time i emailed them and they told me it'd be the last quarter of 2007... i hear it's been pushed back though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(sorry for the double, i can't edit or my computer will crash)

Quote by MrCarrot
^ The thought had crossed my mind. The pushed-back release date is also annoying and concerning, but the features are truly excellent.

I have a feeling it'll share a key Valveking feature, though - the crappy stock speaker. That and the crappy stock valves.

yeah, blue marvel. that's what i was told anyway. and they hadn't decided if the cab would be ply or not (though they said the speaker baffle would be ply ok).

Quote by slatsmania

+1 (though from what i hear, delayed release dates is normal for peavey)

Quote by slatsmania
It's funny, because everyone has their own hopes and expectations of the thing. I actually hope it's not all that much like the head. I see it more like a variably voiced Blues Jr. A true Class A blues machine (as opposed to all the liars that claim to be Class A!).

Who knows... ?

I'm kinda hoping it's halfway between the head and a more vintage-voiced class a amp. I'd like it to get to hair-metal/80's thrash, but it doesn't need to get any heavier for me than that, and I'd also like slightly nicer classic rock and blues tones than the head had. Though the built-in reverb may help a little in that respect.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks like they finally settled on a release date:

Quote by Email from Peavey
Good morning Oli, We expect the Windsor studio to come in around the 16 of Jan 2008. And the second shipment around March. So inquire by your local Peavey dealerand order already a Studio in advance so you know you're in the first run.

That was from Peavey Europe. Looks like good news, especially with them setting a specific date.
cool, thanks.

you're oli, then? or is it fake names ftw?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you mean you aren't called mr carrot?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

I don't even know where I imagined that name from

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The half stack is friggen awesome. The different kinds of tone you can get out of it is amazing. It can go from classic 60's bluesy crunch, to total thrash metal attack with a few adjustments.

If the Studio has the same features it should be able to do that, just not as loud. The gimmick with this amp was the texture knob, which controls how much power the tubes are putting out. I don't know if the Studio has it though.
this amp is kind of my alternative, tossing between this and maybe the jsx mini colossal

apparently theyre around the same price..
^^ yeah, the studio doesn't have the texture knob. The studio is already class A, while the head version was class A/B, but the texture knob allowed it to simulate class A for lower power and a slightly more vintage tonality (something like that, anyway). Plus the studio doesn't have the resonance or presence knobs (as far as i'm aware). Though it does have reverb, a built-in attenuator, and the ability to use most octal power tubes (excepting 6v6's), which the head doesn't have.

really depends what you want, and of course there's the fact that no-one (that I'm aware of) has tried the windsor studio.

EDIT: I guess, the windsor head is a bit like an 80's hot-rodded marshall kind of thing. I'm hoping the studio is like a slightly more vintage marshal, but still with the ability to get up to 80's tones.

of course, time will tell what it's like.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So who thinks taking the studio version and running it through my 2x12" cab would be a good idea? I really liked the head version (played it at GC) but I'm not crazy about such a high wattage amp, you never get to cook the tubes without taking it somwhere large, and tube swaps would be a right bitch.

Ps, what's the tube compliment in the studio?
2 12AX7 and any single Octal Power valve excluding 6V6: EL34, 6L6, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6550, some others too. Wattage varies with the valve - 6L6/KT66 give 11w, EL34/KT77 give 15w, 6550/KT88 give 20w.
I'd love to try it with an Eminence Red Fang, JJ KT66 or EL34 and EHX 12AX7s...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009