I current have an Epiphone Les Paul, it's my first guitar and I have been playing for 6 months.

I am looking for something that has a thin neck and a relatively simple bridge with easy string changing.

I was looking at the Ibanez RG Fixed Bridge but I am open to suggestions.

This will be my first "serious" guitar so no cheap made in China stuff.
Last edited by ixelion at Oct 19, 2007,
I was thinking Ibanez RG even before you mentioned it.

A Jackson Dinky with a fixed bridge shouldn't do too bad either.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
RGA121 is perfect man. Light, very simple fixed bridge, and one of the thinest necks in the industry.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
man i would go with a dean for shure there necks are so easy to play
"A little word for my enemies and fortune seekers -
go fuck your Jesus..... he likes it up the ass!!"
Glen Benton
dude floyd rose custom with speedloader and maple fretboard i swar to you it is the best.... also make sure its a USA made custom . should be 1600-1800 but worth every penny
Thanks for the advice I didn't know they made Prestige with fixed bridge!!

So whats the difference between the RGA121 and RGT42FX? Is it just the thinner neck on the Prestige?
Quote by ixelion
Thanks for the advice I didn't know they made Prestige with fixed bridge!!

So whats the difference between the RGA121 and RGT42FX? Is it just the thinner neck on the Prestige?

The Prestige is Japan made with better build quality and better QC, pickups and bridge.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Okay I think I am more inclined towards the Prestige then.

Another Question:

I was looking at fixed bridge Jacksons specifically the SLSMG and DKMGT. Sam Ash says they are equipped with EMG HZ which are passive but the Jackson website says EMG 81/85, which are active.

Do some come with passive and some come with active EMGs or is this a typo somewhere?

I'm still open to guitar suggestions although the RGA121 is in the lead.
Well, there's also the RG321.
I don't think there's too much difference between them, besides from looks. The pickups may be different, but you probably won't keep those anyway.
Sweet Water is possibly still selling last years.

I would seriously recommend looking at the ESP/LTD line. They're built to about the same quality of Ibanez's and Jacksons. (I have a very nice Jackson DKMG and their cheaper guitars sound just as great and play just as nicely) But come in different colors and woods and with tons of options. Not only that based on the fact you've only been playing 6 months at this point you should probably get a really nice but not expensive guitar and a $500+ Tube Amp.

Tube amps offer more dynamics which will help you're playing more then you probably think.

split the cash both ways and don't be afraid to buy used. [Think, you can get a better guitar used for the price you're about to pay for a new one. ]
The RGA121: nice archtop guitar with fixed bridge and Prestige quality

The RGA321: same thing with flamed maple top

The PGM301: great cosmetic touches, fixed bridge, Prestige quality, incredible pickups and of course the fake F-holes
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by ixelion
Okay I think I am more inclined towards the Prestige then.

Another Question:

I was looking at fixed bridge Jacksons specifically the SLSMG and DKMGT. Sam Ash says they are equipped with EMG HZ which are passive but the Jackson website says EMG 81/85, which are active.

Do some come with passive and some come with active EMGs or is this a typo somewhere?

I'm still open to guitar suggestions although the RGA121 is in the lead.

The SLSMG and DKMGT both have active EMG 81/85, a volume control, 3 way switch, and tone control. Older ones have the HZs though.
If that is the case then I am afraid Jacksons are out unless I find an old one with passive pickups.

What about ESPs how are the necks on those compares to Prestige necks?
The Prestige necks are thinner, and personally I think they feel smoother (but that's up to you to decide, of course).
Don't forget an Ibanez SZ of some sort. Leaves you money for new pickups and a nice tube amp.
Don't forget an Ibanez SZ of some sort.

The SZ Prestige looks nice but it has a thicker neck according to Ibanez.com 21mm compared to 18mm of the RG Prestige.

However does 4 mm really make a bid difference?

Leaves you money for new pickups and a nice tube amp.

I really don't want to get after market pickups to much hassle, so RG pickups are better than SZ?

And I already have a Fender Champ 600

What kind of wood do you want.

I am not to picky about wood unless you think it makes a big difference, I am more concerned with comfort/playability than with tone.
What kind of music do you play? I would go to a RG prestige, with the right set of pu's they're versatil and confortable, and have a thin neck. The RGA321 it's a georgeous guitar, but can be over the budjet, give a look.

Pic of a RGA321

If you get a Carvin you can pick out which bridge you want.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The Ibanez PGM301 kicks ass. It's basically an RGA121 but with a bridge that doesn't suck ass and a middle PU (oh, and sweet maple fingerboard). Get it if you have the money... GET IT!

If you don't want to get the PGM301 definitely check out the RG42FX you were looking at. It's got the great RG body and a Wizard II neck and best of all its neck through. Neck through guitars are the greatest. And it's not even expensive.

A lot of people recommend the RGA121 (even I did once). Hell, I bought one (and returned it), but it has a couple inherent flaws. For one the bridge isn't all it's cracked up to be. The saddles aren't replaceable so if a problem came along you'd have to buy a whole new bridge specifically from an Ibanez supplier. You can't slap on the awesome Graphtech saddle (like you can with the PGM301 - which has the best bridge system... ABM string though). The back part of the bridge where you slide the strings through is so norrow that you can't get higher gauged strings through the slots. And worst of all RGAs have horrid sustain. I've tried three separate RGAs, one RGA321 and two RGA321s, and they all suffered from horrible sustain, especially on the G string. You can even read threads all over the net at sites like jemsite.com of people complaining about RGA's sustain. Yes the neck is the greatest (for a bolt on that is) but it's simply not worth the bad sustain and bridge. And I don't get the praise for the quality. Mine had the bridge pegs drilled off center and the control cavity was quick routed. You could still see the friggin' router cuts. It wasn't smooth in the ****ing least! If you got a PGM301 you'd get a great RGA style body with the super thin neck (and maple top) and actually get great sustain and you'd pickups that don't absolutely need to be replaced like the RGA121's (trust me, they suck).

On to those Jacksons. The SLSMG is a pretty damn good guitar. Quite like the RGA121 but neck-through (awesome) and ebony fingerboard. You can easily get the version with passive pickups (I assume you wan't that so you can easily replace them?) Just make sure you don't get the very first version that had a satin finish. Satin necks are kick ass put satin bodies take on oil smudges permanently. The second version has a regular finish (the third version is the one with the EMG actives). The SLSMG is also extremely easy to get off of eBay for cheap.

If you really wanted to go treasure hunting try finding a USA Jackson Select SLS (no, it's not a SLSMG). It's one of the most beautifull guitars out there. Great neck. The paint schemes are crazy on some of them (like mine!) and they have the same scale as that LP you have. Not easy to find in the least but I got mine for well under 1500 (Jackson doesn't make them anymore).

Oh, and check out the Ibanez SZ4020FM. That thing is balls out best and a beast.

EDIT: Adding the Washburn X81 to the list (the version with the ABM bridge - not the TOM bridge).
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Oct 20, 2007,