Allright, so i know i've heard something about this in another thread but i couldn't locate it. When i play my guitar, the lower strings tend to buzz on the first few frets. I know there is a way to get this fixed, but could someone please tell me what it is called and around how much it will cost to fix this?
That is a truss rod adjustment. If your bottom strings are buzzing then your neck has a bow. Turn your truss rod 1/4 turn counter clockwise. If that doesn't fix it do it another 1/4 turn counter clockwise and so forth until the buzz is gone.
ok this might sound stupid but i have little to no idea what the truss rod is? is this an easy procedure to do?
What kind of guitar? What kind of strings? How hard/soft are you fretting the strings? How long have you been playing?
These are all questions that need answering in order to help you to diagnose buzzing while playing.
Also, stay from the truss rod unless you know exactly what your doing. One wrong move and you've got a useless guitar. Do a search for my post concerning this. It's called "Truss rods vs. Action".
okay dude.
on the head of your guitar.
where the tuning pegs are.
right in the smack dab middle of the neck at the part where the nut is right there in the center.
theres a little plastic cover held on by tiny screws or just a little hole or opening with a metal "thing" in there.
that my pal is your truss rod.
now, you need to find the right size allen or torques wrench (and please tell me you know what those are please god tell me you do, no offense just making a joke at your expense, cant help meself, really im a nice person but im just an a-hole at heart)
and stick the wrench in the slot and turn it counter clockwise like one dude said.
if it has a cover over it take it off you cant miss it.
Rocking the world
One solo at a time
Quote by rojomeansred
I think all you have to do is fix your intonation.

Since we are in the acoustic forum.

The truss rod is sometimes located inside the sound hole near where the neck joins the body.
Buzzing may have developed if you changed your string gauge but if its recently bought you could take it back to the shop for a set up....most places will do this free in the first few months after purchase. If not I would recommend getting the set up done professionally unless you are confident that you know what you are doing with the truss. Costs about £35 to £40 in England with a new set of strings included so I bet its the same in dollars in the States
Buzzing may have developed if you changed your string gauge but if its recently bought you could take it back to the shop for a set up....most places will do this free in the first few months after purchase. If not I would recommend getting the set up done professionally unless you are confident that you know what you are doing with the truss. Costs about £35 to £40 in England with a new set of strings included so I bet its the same in dollars in the States

Yeah I just switched from a heavy gauge string to custom lights and im getting a nasty buzzing/rattling sound when I hit the open g string. Everything else sounds fine, even when I fret the g string. No problem. Its just that open G sounds like ****. I dont have the money to get it "set up" any way I could fix this myself?