I was wondering if there's like a certain exercise that will develop my hardcore guitar playing.

e.g. winter solstice - following caligula

e|------------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------------|
D|------------------------------------------|
A|------7----7---------8------5------5h7|
E|-0-0---0----0-0-0----0-0---0-0------|

E-string is muted

I can play this riff slow to moderate speed but I can't seem to get the correct speed of the song, so I was wondering if anyone out there has some tips for me on how to increase speed or on how to do this correctly and by tips I do not mean practise a lot or something, I know I have to practise a lot but maybe there's a certain technique behind this, like I don't know hand position or something?

Thanks in Advance,
Grz, Brecht.

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
Alt-picking.... There is no such thing as "Hardcore technique", unless you mean spinning your guitar and jumping like you're on speed.

Just keep practicing your scales with a metronome while strictly alt-picking.
alternate picking. pick down on the muted open E and up on the A string.
Yeah I can do alternate picking, but most of time I don't know which string I should pick upwards or downwards

Yamaha RBX A2
Ampeg BA600-115 1 x 15 Bass Combo
It doesn't matter... It has nothing to do with strings. Up Down Up Down Up Down and vice versa... Doesn't matter what string you play, the pattern stays the same.
Quote by Winter Solstice
Yeah I can do alternate picking, but most of time I don't know which string I should pick upwards or downwards

I personally find it easier with riffs like that to pick downwards on the bottom string and pick upwards on the other ones.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia